U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 01:40 PM

98 posts, read 180,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanawaleJulie View Post
Expand your mind. Not every word must use its literal translation. Reverse meaning the reverse of the past.
to say "reverse racism" means that there was never any racism from those that YOU claim to have experienced racism from the proper side. in america, black people realize that there is and have always been racism amongst themselves as well as their ancestors in africa, for there are many, many races within the black diaspora - and lest not forget that mexico has a HUGE population of black people.

not every word may not be "literal", but tell that to a child of color that is called a minority, especially when they are clearly of the majority in phoenix.

now, i ask you to expand YOUR mind.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:32 PM

158 posts, read 328,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afghaniprinzess View Post
Hi everyone im thinking of moving to the phoenix area...i have some family out there but they have only been there for about a year and give me mixed answers about this..

so my question is about diversity in phoenix? i am persian/Muslim and lived in the midwest for a while during my high school years and experienced racism there as there wasnt much diversity. I guess the area we lived in (suburbs of omaha and kansas city) were mostly white so people werent used to anyone from a different ethnicity...

i live in boston right now and still have the occassional comments/racist remarks so i know ultimately i may experience some ignorance wherever i go...probably more due to the fact that there is a lot of negativity out there about us due to 9/11....but my q is are there people of different backgrounds in phoenix and the suburbs or is it mainly white like the midwest?

I guess my main concern is we would be living in a suburb of phx like glendale, goodyear, tolleson, buckeye....and i wonder how it would be for us...whether we would be welcomed or if it would be like the same experience we've had in the midwest most of our lives....

thanks.
I must say this with total emphasis and clarity. Most Iranians are White as the majority of Afghans! There are Nordic Whites and Mediterranean Whites! Both have their differences, but those differences are not extreme. Both are rather close in natural complexion. You speak as if Iranians or Afghans are not White. Well, true, some are not. Some are Mixed, but there's a whole heck of a lot that are obviously White!

Old 11-05-2007, 06:32 PM

4,299 posts, read 10,282,032 times
Quote:
La Raza translates to "the Race". Its actual meaning is pride for the race of the hispanic.
Oh yes of course that's what they mean. Nana you really need to change the radio dial.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:07 PM

547 posts, read 776,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afghaniprinzess View Post
terrapin2212- Well to a degree I disagree with you. I don't think anyone should disrespect American culture (whatever that means these days since American culture has become so interchangeable with so many other cultures) but I know lots of people that tell me I should drink or hang out with them at a bar or ask why I don't go out and date and if I say no to that they always tell me I need to "assimilate" more, just like you are saying.

I was born here in America, and my belief is that there are lots of good things about American culture but theres some things that I would never do as a Muslim such as go to a bar and drink etc...I assimilate to a degree..I listen to American music, I wear American clothes, etc but holding on to your own beliefs shouldn't be looked down upon either and people shouldn't think you want to be less american or dont respect american culture because you choose to stay away from some things that are so accepted in american culture but not accepted by your beliefs. I think if you have no reservations about completely assimilating in every way to american culture than that is totally fine. But if you do choose to not do certain things that should be respected as well. Aslong as you do not disrespect or look down on the people who live around you, everyone should be able to co-exist.

by the way, sometimes I do speak persian when I am out in public, usually with my mom since her english isnt that good...I dont think theres anything wrong with that...so i dont understand what you mean.

I think its fine that you have assimilated completely but you are always going to be ASIAN-american and I am sure you take pride in both sides of the hyphen.
I realize this post was in response to someone else, but I just wanted to pop in and say that I wouldn't say going to bars and drinking with friends is part of the American culture. I have never been one to go out drinking in bars and none of my friends would expect me to do so. There are plenty of other things we can do together. Many of my friends enjoy drinking together occassionally, but I'm just not much of a drinker. I don't think you should ever feel pressured to go out and drink. IMO, your beliefs should be respected always and good friends would not expect you to compromise yourself just to fit in. It has nothing to do with assimilating or disrespecting American culture. Just to be clear, usually when people say others should assimilate to the American culture, they are referring to people who have come here from another country, not those who were born here. Respecting our culture IMO includes things such as learning the English language, respecting the flag and what it stands for, supporting our country by being productive citizens and contributing to the economy, etc.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:33 PM

21,157 posts, read 26,598,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida southerner 3 View Post
I must say this with total emphasis and clarity. Most Iranians are White as the majority of Afghans! There are Nordic Whites and Mediterranean Whites! Both have their differences, but those differences are not extreme. Both are rather close in natural complexion. You speak as if Iranians or Afghans are not White. Well, true, some are not. Some are Mixed, but there's a whole heck of a lot that are obviously White!
True, very true.

Aside from Spaniards and folks from Latin America and in some cases Portuguese; all 'White' people are counted as 'Anglo' here------including Arabs, Iranians, Kurds, Turks, etc.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:19 PM

430 posts, read 960,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by char85008 View Post
I have lived in Phoenix 30 yrs, and have never seen religious discrimination. The problem is with border Mexicans and whites. Mexicans have a deep seated hatred for white America, but there's nothing anyone can do about it. No amount of friendliness will change their minds; they are a hateful, militant people (in my opinion). Religious discrimination does not exist, here. No one cares if you are Muslim. There is a Mosque near my house. I see Muslims coming and going all the time. There is religious tolerance here. No one cares what religion you are.
Keep in mind, that most Mexicans in Mexico do not actualy come over to the U.S. nor try to illegally. There is a pretty high degree of anti-american sentiment in mexico, but it is very far from universal. And large % of the hispanic population of the U.S. southwest has also been here for a long time (going back to the early 20'th century or before even). Many are quite patriotic and the hispanic vote has been almost half in favor of restrictions measures passed in Arizona aimed at illegal migrants. A lot especially don't like the growing ethnic tension/bigotry that often goes both ways that is being made much worse by this issue.

Those that do come illegally and many others MAY hate the U.S.A. (many do) or they may often just not agree with nor understand us. If they or anyone else come they are of coarse violating our sovereignty as a country, but when Our own elite and establishment, as well as a significant % of the general U.S. public (not most but a lot) de facto encourage this it can seem cunfusing to many.

At this point I think the message is loud and clear but it's been going on long enough from before it was, and there is also enough class and other conflict in BOTH the U.S. and Mexico, that this is no longer easy to turn around even if there was a will to do so at high levils. That said I do hope it gets resolved, and there has been some signs of fewer mexicans wanting to come and stay here long term recently. We will see what happens though and I cannot predict the future. -Emil.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida southerner 3 View Post
They are of mostly Turkic decent and there are even many northern Afghans with blond hare. The greeks are also of mostly Turkic decent, as the majority of Italian ancestry. Slavic people were Turkic unless a little over a thousand years ago when a large number were driven west do to climatic change. Turkic people are caucasian, I.E. from the caucasus, as are the Anglo Germanic people. They are definitely caucasian even though the majority are now muslim (which is of coarse not a race, -but some just don't seem to get that), unlike semitic or for that matter Celtic people (the latter who are also "white" but historically a quite diferant people with diferant genetic markers as well). -Emil.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pynkpanther View Post
to say "reverse racism" means that there was never any racism from those that YOU claim to have experienced racism from the proper side. in america, black people realize that there is and have always been racism amongst themselves as well as their ancestors in africa, for there are many, many races within the black diaspora - and lest not forget that mexico has a HUGE population of black people.

not every word may not be "literal", but tell that to a child of color that is called a minority, especially when they are clearly of the majority in phoenix.

now, i ask you to expand YOUR mind.
You make good point's. I would say that ALL racism is just that, -racism, no matter the perpatrator or who the target is. As far as it's harmful efect, though, do to power dynamics it can also be said quite truthfully that not all racism is EQUALLY harmful, however. But I still think in the end it is all still harmful, directly or not. -Emil.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:41 PM

Quote:
IMO, you are correct. There are a lot of people here who do not tolerate other races. It is a shame and is why I wanted to paint a picture that is a bit more realistic.
Racism is worse some places then others. But there are good people everywhere. and there are also racists everywhere, even if not open white supremacists. Of coarse most white racists are NOT open white supremacist, -many would not even dare show open bigotry in public, but still can do and say some pretty racist things in private, as well as support and engage in discriminatory actions as well. Some open white supremacists are actualy less racist then some "Polite" closet racists-!!

And I am only talking here about "white" racism. -People of any "race" (a social construct itself) can be racist, and all too often are. -Emil.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:51 PM

Well that's clearly a case of racism/ignorance/false assumptions against YOU as a "white" person! And yes it was a hate crime, and they should recognize that! Personally, I would have taken off and gotten help WITHOUT pushing anyone to the ground as a hopefully safer alternative. Take violent action even in self defence always has added risk and I think is best to avoid if feasible.
-Another thing is, I actualy believe that ALL assaults of strangers like that, no matter what the motivation, are in a sense hate crimes as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaVaZ View Post
No matter where you go there will be Racism. Thats the way it is. But I'm thinking were talking more along the lines of "Will the amount Racism be enough to cause a hate crime"? What is a "Hate Crime"? thats the real question.

I'm white and about 2 months ago I Shaved my head down to the skin, I do that once in a while. about 3 days after I shaved my head my wife, son and I went to fry's marketplace. There in the frozen food isle I was approached from behind by 3 black males. They got my attention my saying. "Punk Ass White boy!" I ignored them and continued to look at the foods. Again "Fu*kin Punk ass cracker!" I looked and one of them cocked his arm back and took a swing. I moved as he was swing causing him to miss. His miss threw him off balance which gave me the opportunity to push him to the ground and tell my Wife to grab my son to run and get help. I screamed to the others telling them to "Bring it!" hoping that that would scare them into not fighting with them seeing that i was not scared to fight 3 big black guys.

Then security ran in and tackled me (ME!) with the 3 black men kicking me while the security guard was on top of me. The security guard was telling the them to stop. but they didn't. So others got on them and we were all contained till the police got there. They let the 3 guys go and continued to hold me. While contained the 3 black males kept telling them that I started it and wanted this to be a hate crime. 3 police were there 2 black and 1 white. 1 black cop told me that I was going to be charged with a hate crime the other 2 cops questioned all the witnesses including my wife. once they saw my wife and son they new that there was no way that I could have started it. because my wife is Mexican. I later showed them my cell phone which contained Pictures of a fishing trip I took with my friends. My friends of 4 African-Americans, 3 Mexicans and 3 other white guys with all of there families.

After they let me go and went after the 3 black males and just charged them with aggravated assault. I asked "why not the hate crime?" they told me that they can't pin a black person with a hate crime, thats impossible. They then later told me to shop at another place and to avoid this Fry's if at all possible.

So where ever you go there will be Racism. I have only experienced it this one time since I moved here. It was a bad encounter but since then I've grown my hair. I love this place and only hear of it when on the news. I truly believe that the Mexican community is a lot nicer than the Mexican communities in San Diego, LA and in Austin. where I've lived in the years.

Racism is social ignorance that the truly lost hold.
-Emil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area