U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-28-2008, 06:06 PM

19,677 posts, read 51,265,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyz911 View Post
Comparing Phoenix to San Antonio is ridiculous. I have been to San Antonio and let me just say I was not impressed.
To be honest, its not that ridiculous. Comparing PHX to, say, Boston would be ridiculous, but in all reality there are some striking similarities between San Antonio and Phoenix. And I agree, San Antonio wasnt impressive (I actually liked Amarillo more--dont laugh!!!!), but then again, I dont find PHX impressive either. But you all already knew that.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:34 PM

788 posts, read 1,755,161 times
Smile Somebody finally put Phoenix in its place

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Boy for never having gone there this guy sure does know how to sum up Phoenix. This is a great comparison. GOOD JOB!!!
I do think that he was a little overboard however to be fair. But yes Phoenix is well compared as a larger version of Fresno or maybe even a little tinge of El Paso you know a big dry dusty flavorless giant suburb of tile rooftops with rocks and dirt. A stucco and concrete jungle. A large portion of it run down and riddled with illegals. A cultureless expanse of transplants with no sense of community. A sprawling generic cookie cutter village of endless redundance. All you see is the same shopping center and master planned community over and over again. Its a colorless empty ghost town with very little to do at all. It's a work and go home type of place that is monotonous and grinding. It's a lifeless pointless meaningless nowhere land. This place was better off being left as a cotton field. They had no business breaking the ground in order to put up their featureless architectually void dull drab developements sprawling for ridiculous distances in all directions. Phoenix is Bedroom Community dependant and freeway lacking. It reeks of John F. Longs slums. It is one big giant FOR SALE SIGN! wich is really an SOS flag for all the homes sinking into foreclosure and cluttering the landscape with abandoned houses over ran with weeds and broken windows. Phoenix has no right trying to compare itself to such a city as Houston which is a "World Class City"

This is a better way to sum it up. This board proves that the transplants here are only using Phoenix as a stepping stone. Most of the transplants are loyal to their hometown. This is why there is no sense of community. the new people come but do not tend to embrace Phoenix and leave their hometown behind.

Last edited by jd433; 05-28-2008 at 06:47 PM..

Old 05-28-2008, 06:59 PM

4,163 posts, read 5,793,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoniancityfanatic View Post
Well basically everything evens out. AZ has income tax while TX does not. Houston property tax might be higher but of course there is no state tax and house prices are a lot, lot cheaper. Plus you get paid more and have more disposable income to live off of. There is no food tax and income tax and so naturally you have to collect taxes somewhere and that is why the property tax is higher, but if you look at the whole picture Houston is definitely a better deal. If you are only concerned about one thing and that is property tax then I guess Phoenix would be

better.
So what is the property tax in Houston then?

Old 05-28-2008, 07:01 PM

Default Property Taxes are higher in Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
So what is the property tax in Houston then?
This helps Texas to have better schools also there is no state income tax here.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyz911 View Post
OMG! I know. What a genius. Never been to Phoenix- yet knows all about it. Whatever. Comparing Phoenix to San Antonio is ridiculous. I have been to San Antonio and let me just say I was not impressed.
U can't come to Phoenix conclusions if you have not been there. Listen to the people who have been there I agree with u

Old 05-28-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
Phoenix is light years friendlier and more livable than Denver. And I base this statement on a lifetime of first hand experience.

Phoenix has been and remains OZ to me.
Denver is like OZ to me...whatever OZ is...I know Denver is not as hot and there is more to do in Denver

Old 05-28-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
This helps Texas to have better schools also there is no state income tax here.
Ok but on average what does it cost? Same as Corpus etc about 3,000 - 4,000 a year and then add in wind or flood depending on area?

Old 05-28-2008, 07:41 PM

Smile Taxes in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
Ok but on average what does it cost? Same as Corpus etc about 3,000 - 4,000 a year and then add in wind or flood depending on area?
Yes you will be looking at about $2,500 - $4,000 a year in Taxes here in Texas and about $1,000 a year for insurance. For a 150k home wich is a pretty nice home here if you put 10% down you will pay about $1300 a month and this is a 30 year fixed. A lot of homes that are decent are more like 120k and have a payment of $1000 a month amortized for 30 yrs. including Taxes and insurance.

If you don't want that you can still live in a decent neighborhood of older homes from the 70's and 80's for under 100k and have a payment of $800 - $900 a Month. And if you can't even do that you can find a foreclosure in a fair area for like 70k and pay 650 - 700 a month. Yes Houston is much more affordable it's like a relief from all the stress.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:44 PM

13,475 posts, read 14,978,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
USNews is the same source that ranked Thunderbird and ASU's schools in the top in the country and world. I wouldn't call any school in Texas elite and I wouldn't call ASU elite, but I would call Thunderbird elite.
Rice and University of Texas are not elite schools? Both in the top 50 with Rice being in the top 20. You may have a point with Texas. Big Maybe. But Rice? C'mon now.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:01 PM

2,899 posts, read 1,316,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I was trying to resist posting in this, but I'll have to bite.

I have never been to Phoenix, but the image I get from it is that it's like a hotter, drier, super-sprawled version of San Antonio without the culture - no urban core, still feels like a giant suburb rather than a proper city, even by Sun Belt standards. That the food sucks, that people there can live that close to Mexico without knowing how to cook proper Mexican food, and that the people are backwards and more preoccupied with racial tension and immigrant-phobia than the worst of the talk-radio cattle that populate the Houston burbs. That the NFL had to hold them hostage with the Super Bowl in order to get Arizona voters to approve MLK as a state holiday just over a decade ago. That basically everything that sucks about Houston is sevenfold in Phoenix, without the stuff that's good.

Now, should I come to visit, I think I'll put all that aside and make my own observations. But I just wanted to let y'all know what the scoreboard reads over here.
The city of Phoenix does have one single thing that is good and that is the Sherriff Joe Arpaio (did I spell it right?) his attitude is pretty good. He takes no crap!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area