Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2013, 05:39 AM

570 posts, read 1,002,015 times

Advertisements

So I happened to be reading about possible future expansion of Terminal 3 at Sky Harbor. I remember back in the "boom" days (of 2007) that a 10-year plan called for major expansion, including reconstruction of Terminal 2. According to the article linked below, those days are over.

Half Billion Project for Sky Harbor Terminal 3 Modernization Imminent | Arizona Builders Exchange

Assuming the US Airways/American Airlines merger goes through, within the next year or so American will move to Terminal 4. The airlines in Terminal 2 will go to Terminal 3. Terminal 2 will close.

If there is reconstruction of Terminal 3, I hope they could set it up similar to Terminal 4, where in terms of driving there to pick up or drop off passengers, there's one level to drop off (upper level) and one level to pick up (lower level).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 06:31 AM

175 posts, read 491,708 times
Maybe competition from Mesa gateway has something to do with it? They are in full expansion mode...

Old 04-06-2013, 07:30 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,978,984 times
That airport has never not been under construction. They're always expanding and what not. I havent flown out of Mesa Gateway yet but I doubt it's any real competition.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:51 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,548,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
That airport has never not been under construction. They're always expanding and what not. I havent flown out of Mesa Gateway yet but I doubt it's any real competition.
I think every airport is perpetually under construction. It must be the law or something.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:20 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,515,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
I think every airport is perpetually under construction. It must be the law or something.

I agree it must be a law or something. So many airports are in constant construction mode. Makes one wonder why they never catch up with whatever they are building. Especially since airlines have not been adding all that many flights in recent years. I have been in several airports, where entire concourses have been shut down due to lack of flights.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:51 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,061,889 times
ugh....sometimes I think airport managers feel they always have to be planning and implementing an expansion just to look like they're doing something (much like government in general, I suppose).....strange they are going to demolish about nine gates just to build nine more gates elsewhere....

and that's a view of the unchanged north concourse in the link above, despite it representing the expanded south one (nitpick, I know)...

Old 02-10-2015, 12:12 PM

570 posts, read 1,002,015 times
I know I'm bumping this thread. Sky Harbor and Mesa Gateway don't share any airlines as of now. So I can't say there's that much competition between the two. Sky Harbor will be the major airport in the valley for awhile.

As far as the closing of Terminal 2, I don't see any concrete timetable for that to happen.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:29 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,336,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swbrotha100 View Post

As far as the closing of Terminal 2, I don't see any concrete timetable for that to happen.
As of current plans, the expansion/renovation of Terminal 3 is split into three components, which won't necessarily be in a fixed order:
  • Component 1 consolidates the security checkpoints into one single large checkpoint, adds additional check-in counters and baggage carousels. The HVAC system will also be overhauled in this component. This component is currently scheduled to begin next month.
  • Component 2 will raze the existing South Concourse with a new larger linear structure with more gates. This component will replace Terminal 2 upon completion.
  • Component 3 will expand the concessions area at the North Concourse.
While Component 1 is confirmed to be the first component of the renovation, it hasn't been decided yet whether Component 2 or Component 3 will occur first. The estimated completion for all three components is 2020, and if Component 2 occurs before Component 3, we could see Terminal 2 close earlier than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: