Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 03:18 PM

4 posts, read 6,218 times

Advertisements

Hello, my girlfriend and I just relocated to North Phoenix from California and have yet to find a good sushi or pizza restaurant. For sushi, we are looking for something casual and not insanely expensive, with a good atmosphere. We mostly stick to classic rolls like spicy tuna rolls and shrimp tempura (I'm still developing my taste for sushi lol) but like to experiment with the fancy rolls sometimes as well. For pizza, we're looking for a restaurant that has great pizza with a lot of sauce, and bonus points for a great beer selection and sports broadcasts. We also haven't been able to find any decent Mexican restaurants nearby except for fast-food type places. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 08:28 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
If you can't find a decent Mexican place in Phoenix you are not looking hard enough. North Central Phoenix has some of the best Mexican restaurants in the country. Try El Bravo on 7th Street, Via de los Santos on Central Avenue, Chino Bandito (Chinese/Mexican - trust me, the absolute best) on 19th Avenue. There is also Los Reyes de la Torta on 7th Street as well for Mexican sandwiches.

For pizza you can't go wrong with Sardella's. I only get it for take-out so don't know about beer or sports. They have a few locations around North Phoenix.

As far as a good place to find a beer, I feel your pain. Moved down here from a place that had almost 10 micro-breweries within 20 minutes of my house. I have hit North Mountain Brewery on Dunlap a couple of times. They just opened a month ago and have a decent selection of beer and some great pub grub.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:40 PM

278 posts, read 546,589 times
This may be diff from what your asking but some ideas. RA in scottsdale has really great sushi, Mexican restaurants, well everywhere.

Im a huge pizza fanatic and have tried dozens and dozens of places here in New York and many in AZ, Pizza Bianco steals it for me. Grimaldis is pretty good too.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:51 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,318,351 times
sushi bistro has a very good reputation and its off cactus rd-not sure if its in your price range though
http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/...html#protected
http://www.menuism.com/restaurants/y...phoenix-467443

Last edited by phoenixmike11; 04-09-2013 at 08:52 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 04-09-2013, 09:02 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,942,828 times
Here are my recommendations depending what you're looking for, and one are close to N. Phoenix, depending where in N. Phoenix though.

For a casual, neighborhood family type place I recommend Sakana Sushi, they have a few locations. For great quality and more authentic sushi, Hana Japanese Eatery on 7th Ave south of Bethany Home is excellent. Finally, for a hip, trendy late night place I love Moira Sushi in downtown Phoenix.

For pizza, I really like Stevie's Pizza on 59th Ave and 101 for a great NY style pizza or of course Cibo Pizzeria in downtown Phoenix for a Neapolitan style pizza and really the best pizza in Phoenix in my opinion, better than Bianco.

For Mexican I really actually like those Federico's and Ramiro's places for burritos and tacos. Don't really go to any sit down Mexican restaurants. If you're feeling adventurous, try La Frontera on 16th St and Van Buren, it's a food truck with a tarp over some picnic tables but it's excellent, has received many great reviews and awards.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:15 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times
Chino Bandido is one of my favorite dining destinations in the entire country. No joke.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:39 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,176,099 times
Valle Lunal at Cave Creek & Greenway (also west Phoenix, Chandler) is a very good casual Mexican Restaurant. Try the "Machaca" beef, a spicy shredded beef filling.

Spinato's Pizza a family owned & operated chain in Central & North Phoenix (Scottsdale, Tempe & Ahwatukee) offers true Chicago style pizza, wonderful. Try it with Italian beef (I know sounds bad, but it is great) topping as well as a variety of veggies.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:22 PM

278 posts, read 546,589 times
Garcias! But i only go there for their deep fried ice cream

Old 04-10-2013, 12:41 AM

4 posts, read 6,218 times
Excellent! Thanks for all the recommendations, it sounds like we have a lot to try! To be more specific, we are located at Hwy 17 a couple miles north of 101, so we haven't had a chance to explore much except for the shops at Norterra. The chinese/mexican place sounds interesting, I've never heard of anything like that before so we will definitely have to try that. I also remember seeing a Sakana Sushi nearby and thought about trying it, but sushi places seem hit-or-miss so I'm glad for the positive review.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:48 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
For a casual, neighborhood family type place I recommend Sakana Sushi, they have a few locations. For great quality and more authentic sushi, Hana Japanese Eatery on 7th Ave south of Bethany Home is excellent. Finally, for a hip, trendy late night place I love Moira Sushi in downtown Phoenix.
I definitely recommend Sakana. They have some of the best seared Ahi tuna. I've heard of Hana, but haven't tried it. Would you say Hana is generally better than Sakana? I've been to a fair share of Japanese restaurants/sushi bars, and some are better than others as far as taste and variety. Some of those places don't even have Tempura shrimp (one of my favorites) or Ahi tuna. One such sushi bar near where I live seems to be more of a young person's hangout type of place where Sake bombers are the main feature. The food isn't all that great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area