Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2007, 11:15 PM

686 posts, read 3,706,941 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have lived in Tucson for four years and have no clue what phoenix is like. I am considering coming to phoenix to attend C.C and hopefully get into ASU.

What is Phoenix like? I can't stand Tucson. I find it crime ridden and dirty. Is Phoenix the same? What are some similarities between the two?

What parts of the city are safe to live in and affordable for someone without too much money? I live in Central Tucson and it's the pits. I can't believe this place. I have heard pretty good things about Phoenix. The worst I hear is that the pollution is bad, the traffic sucks, and it's too sprawling. that doesn't bother me too much.

If you can compare the two cities and give me advice on what areas of town are nice to live in that are affordable, I would appreciate it.

thanks,

Daniel_T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 12:26 AM

919 posts, read 3,382,221 times
What's your budget?

Also.. What are your interests? What's your intended major?

It would help if we knew more about your desires as PHX is a huge place with many pods of interest to different people, professions and living costs.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:38 AM

Default Budget

My Budget would be an apartment with all utilities and necessities like food and stuff for under $1000 a month for one person.

I like to hike and explore different places. I like to get out and get to know a place as best I can.

Seeing Phoenix is so huge, I figured there would be many different niches. I wouldn't really know where I would fit.

I want to major in Journalism. First at a C.C then transfer to ASU.

Daniel_T

Old 12-06-2007, 09:15 AM

42,831 posts, read 87,908,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_T View Post
My Budget would be an apartment with all utilities and necessities like food and stuff for under $1000 a month for one person.

I like to hike and explore different places. I like to get out and get to know a place as best I can.

Seeing Phoenix is so huge, I figured there would be many different niches. I wouldn't really know where I would fit.

I want to major in Journalism. First at a C.C then transfer to ASU.

Daniel_T
I live in Tucson and I'm familiar with Phoenix. Phoenix does have some nice areas that would be fun places for a young person to live (I would like the areas around Biltmore, Mill Avenue in Tempe, downtown Scottsdale). There are also better and newer apartments. However, they're not going to fit in your budget (it's not enough to live even in Tucson's more decent parts). I'd imagine your living conditions will be the same as in Tucson if not worse unless you manage to work some on the side and increase your income.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:58 PM

38,945 posts, read 50,850,868 times
Think of Phoenix as Tucson with freeways and landscaping. If you don't like Tucson, you won't like Phoenix either.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Think of Phoenix as Tucson with freeways and landscaping. If you don't like Tucson, you won't like Phoenix either.
That's not exactly true. While Phoenix would hardly be my first choice either, I'd prefer the areas in Phoenix I mentioned. Granted, it comes with smog, traffic, etc.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:32 PM

Is Phoenix as nasty as Tucson in terms of the lack of upkeep of houses? I have never lived in a place where people don't take pride in their property. You drive down the road and there is nothing but litter and abandoned buildings scattered throughout. Especially in the Central part of town.

I was in Las Vegas for two weeks in July and that city is a lot nicer and cleaner than Tucson. I can say that because my friend drove me all around town. We even went into some rough areas and they still looked somewhat nicer than Tucson. At least Vegas is attractive. Tucson has beautiful mountains and a beautiful skyline, but everything else is ick!!

The downtown area is dead at night and is not the cleanest. Midtown sucks. The only real nice part (yeah right) is around the U of A and that's not that nice. Basically anything north of river Road (20 percent of tucson) is nice. The rest is sleazy and going downhill.

Daniel_T

Old 12-06-2007, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_T View Post
abandoned buildings scattered throughout
As God and most of the regulars on this forum know , I'm not a fan of Tucson, but some of your statements are pretty ridiculous. Considering all these years you haven't been even to Phoenix, I'd imagine you haven't been much out of the area you're talking about. While there are plenty of nasty neighborhoods (like in any city), I'm yet to see abandoned buildings... as in really boarded and abandoned or abandoned and falling apart. Boring it is... no doubt... but most of Phoenix is the same suburban sprawl, short of a few areas. As far as "downtown," it's as dead as Tucson's.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:14 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,221,477 times
You know what Daniel_T? Phoenix, Vegas, Tucson-- any large city is just too damn big to generalize about is it "nice" or not, are the houses kept well or not. It all depends what part of town you are talking about. There are some very nice parts of Tucson too-- Oro Valley and the Catalina Foothills.

Why don't you come up here some time and do some exploring? Check out Tempe and ASU for starters. It's only less than 2 hours away. I've driven down to Tucson a bunch of times and explored down there-- you can do the same, in the opposite direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area