Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 04:48 PM

50 posts, read 133,612 times

Advertisements

Is anyone familiar with the area near central avenue just south of John C Lincoln hospital?
At first I loved this area but the more I search this area it seems not the best but not the worse
anyone live near here? Is it safe? Are people decent to each other?
I would appreciate any info anyone may have about this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 04:55 PM

570 posts, read 1,002,015 times
Part of Sunnyslope, not known to be a good area. If the whole area saw significant redevelopment, it could be a more desireable part of town someday.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:09 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,998,645 times
It's not a BAD area. It's just rundown a bit in sections. There are still some very nice and well kept up streets mixed in with streets that have home after home falling into disrepair.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:36 PM

582 posts, read 1,482,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezintoes View Post
Is anyone familiar with the area near central avenue just south of John C Lincoln hospital?.

One of my mother's friends lived just south of Dunlap between Central and 7th Ave for years. It is an older mature area and is totally fine. I was born and raised in Phoenix and will give you my 2 cents.

From 7th Street to 7th Ave, and Camelback to Northern, us natives always called the doctors and lawyers district. Old money and well off. Once you cross Northern, from a few blocks east of Central WEST to 7th Ave, and north to Dunlap, it is still a nice area, but a little more middle class. That area is perfectly fine to live in and if you like homes that are 60ish with mature shrubbery, you'll feel totally comfortable, and your home will hold it's value.

The area from between 3rd street and a few blocks north of Northern EAST to about 12th Street and north past Dunlap and around cave Creek Rd is spotty, and the houses and apartments are less expensive and it is a little more of a working class area mixed with some lower income nowadays.

You just have to drive around. Areas have pockets. Some a little more upscale, some more working class. A melting pot if you know what I mean. When you go grocery shopping at the closest stores, Frys on Cave Creek and Hatcher, Albertsons or Sprouts at 19th Ave and Northern, or to the CVS or Ross at Central and Dunlap, you'll see all income groups shopping together. The Safeway at 7th Street and Glendale will have a little higher percentage of monied customers, as it is right in the heart of the old money.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:10 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,475,666 times
Live down the street at 19th Avenue & Dunlap, my gut tells me that the area around Central & Dunlap is ripe for gentrification. Like Goober13 said, the area has pockets, some with million dollar homes and some with rundown rentals. Used to know people that lived near 7th Avenue and Northern and oddly enough they were lawyers.

Don't mind the working class neighborhoods, my only big complaint is that the canal that runs through the area seems to be the "homeless highway". I walk along the canals on a pretty regular basis so I see first hand the drinking, loitering, fighting and other activities being pursued next to the canals. Have never had a run in with, seems like the homeless keep to themselves. But it gets old to see the camps, the trash and other activities the homeless engage in.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:53 PM

50 posts, read 133,612 times
Thank you for your information everyone it is very helpful.
Can someone expain to me what does "ripe for gentrification" mean?

Old 04-22-2013, 07:00 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezintoes View Post
Thank you for your information everyone it is very helpful.
Can someone expain to me what does "ripe for gentrification" mean?
Revitalization of an older neighborhood.

Maybe this site will explain it better. What is Gentrification?

Old 04-22-2013, 08:21 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,978,984 times
Like above posters mentioned that area has everything from wealthy to upper middle class to middle class to working class. It is a very diverse area and I like it a lot. I would live south of the hospital though (south of Dunlap) as the neighborhoods are a lot nicer. Between Dunlap and Bethany Home and Central to 19th Ave has some very nice well kept older homes as well as condos in a couple areas. North of Dunlap to Peoria from 7th St to basically 19th Ave is kind of run down in quite a few areas and a couple areas around there look straight up barrio. It's not dangerous though just lower income. If you want to live north of the hospital but not far from it check out the Moon Valley Area which is the community jut north of the North Mountain Preserve along 7th St. Very nice area as well.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:41 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,475,666 times
To give credit to the Phoenix PD, ever since they built their substation on 7th Avenue and Peoria the neighborhood has cleaned up dramatically. Used to go trail running and park right behind where the substation is starting about 15 years ago. I would always drive down Peoria early in the morning. Was not uncommon to see hookers walking down Peoria, drug dealers heading home and occasionally tripping over a homeless guy camped out on a trail.

There are some really cool little pockets of houses tucked into the mountain preserve off of Peoria.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the light rail is finished. Have a feeling that all of the run down apartment complexes along 19th Avenue will suddenly get a face lift.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:13 AM

537 posts, read 1,545,489 times
I was on Dunlap east of 7th. St. this morning and dear god. I drove up and down some of the streets to Cave Creek Rd. and back to Dunlap. I carry a camcorder with me where ever I go and I'll see if I can upload a little clip here. Gentrification will not occur here in my lifetime. I don't seem to be having much success uploading the little video here, but Vimeo took it. I wish I'd washed the windshild this morning. My dog was very quiet. Maybe she was scared.

https://vimeo.com/64616129
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area