Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 09:57 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,671,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Anyway, getting back to the topic....
OP...some suggestions for you. When sending in your resume, include in your cover letter an explanation of why you're looking outside your area. Hiring managers (such as myself) tend to reject out of area resumes unless we've specifically opened the search up nationwide. That usually only happens if the needs of the position are very specialized and hard to find, if its a high level (director and above) position, or if the search has been going on for a very long time with no local success. You'd be surprised how many people blindly send resumes out without regard cor the location of the job.

If you are willing to relocate at your own expense, say so in the cover letter. Companies are not going to invest time interviewing you if they don't have relo approved for the position, but if you're willing and able to foot the bill yourself that might overcome that problem. Same thing is true for interview expenses. Of course, if the job posting says that relo is provided, don't offer to move yourself.
Sounds like he is looking for a real company, not one of those welfare companies, that pay for relocation. He doesn't have to be some director ******* to get relocation assistance.

Quote:
Another option might be to try hooking up with places like Robert Half, kforce, or tek systems. They might be able to get you temp work that would get you started out here. Again, though, you'd likely be on your own getting here.

I've found Indeed.com to be a great resource.

Finding a job long distance isn't easy. It could take a while. Good luck!
Worst advise in the world. Applying through Robert Half is like working with Kim Jong Un. Unpredictable and asinine. Indeed is like google searching for a job. He needs to find specific connections if he wants to come to this state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 11:20 PM

123 posts, read 242,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post

Worst advise in the world. Applying through Robert Half is like working with Kim Jong Un. Unpredictable and asinine.
Hahaha. 100% correct, and with wages the way they are here; you can't afford to pay a middleman.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:00 AM

6,129 posts, read 7,954,127 times
I suggested the temp firms as a way to get a foot in the door in the area, not as a permanent solution.

I found my current job on Indeed. I stand by my advice. I sense a lot of bitterness in you.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:11 PM

57 posts, read 172,122 times
I used to be in IT, but changed careers to become an actuary 5 years ago. Got my current Phoenix job applying from southern California. So there are some jobs here where they'll look at out-of-towners and pay relocation. Not sure what it's like in your field, but keep your eyes open and see what happens.

Another thing that sometimes works (although it'd be quite the hike from MD) is to go to the place you want to work, plan to stay there for a week or two (helps if you have family or friends to crash with), and ahead of the trip send applications/resumes saying "I'm going to be in Phoenix from <date> to <date>, and I'd appreciate the chance to talk with you about opportunities with <company name>."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area