Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 04:35 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,719,270 times

Advertisements

I'd like to hear from posters who have lived in Phoenix as well as other large cities regarding the frequency of auto accidents. I used to live in north Phoenix and commute to Gilbert each day and the most accidents I've seen during a single commute was 5; 2 on US60, 1 on I-10 and 2 on the Squaw Peak Parkway.

Now granted my commute in Kansas City was a lot shorter and traffic was not nearly as dense but I don't ever recall seeing more than one accident during a single commute. My question is, do you think the Phoenix metro area has more car accidents per capita then other major metro areas you have lived in?

Or maybe it should be number of accidents per mile traveled???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 05:17 PM

582 posts, read 1,481,951 times
I lived in The San Francisco Bay Area for 15 years but was born and raised here. They had accidents there and horrendous commutes. My commute was about an hour and a half each way.

I see accidents here not sure if it's worse than anywhere else, but people here don't have consistent driving patterns. You have so many people here from different places and I think that contributes to the problem. Some drive slow, some drive fast, some are used to driving in mega cities where the pace of driving is fast, others come from slower paced places where staying in your lane and following the speed limit is the norm.

When I go back to California, I drive with the flow, fast and more aggressive. When I am here on in the Twin Cities for example, people aren't drive with the flow types. They stay in their lanes and maybe go a little over the limit. I moderate my driving a little more here.

Everyone not being faster paced here leads to some problems. When a driver is used to a fast paced city, speed limits are irrelevant, and going as fast as the traffic will allow is the norm. For people not used to that type of driving, it could cause massive frustration amongst drivers who are quicker on their feet, and fear amongst drivers who are methodical cautious types. That combination can cause accidents.

We also have a grid type street system here where most main surface streets run long distances and are alternatives to freeways. That causes more red light running as inevitably you get caught in the intersection when the light changes. That fact alone can cause some additional fender benders.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:54 PM

654 posts, read 1,496,013 times
lol I'm sure I've encountered more than a dozen in a 20 mile commute on many occasions (which is almost an hour drive ) during the winter.

" do you think the Phoenix metro area has more car accidents per capita then other major metro areas you have lived in?

lol lol are you kidding me?
"

Old 04-26-2013, 06:38 PM

517 posts, read 1,704,276 times
I'll you an outsiders perspective on driving here. And I'm going to generalise.

When you hit the freeways here, you take your life in your hands, or rather, in other people's hands.

I constantly see insane driving on the freeways here. I don't know why it is, but I've become very aware of it. Changing lanes with no signal, speeding on inside lanes, tailgating, cutting other drivers up. You name it. And I don't care if anyone wants to disagree with me on it, I know what I've seen over and over again.

And the bizarre thing about it is, when you're off the freeway everyone seems to drive brilliantly. Giving way to pedestrians, moving slowly from the lights. Really great driving.

So it's a puzzle why the difference on and off the freeway. Perhaps different people use different types of road. Who knows. Personally I intend to avoid the freeway if I can. And when I have to use it I have my wits about me.

To be fair also, it's partly a problem with road design here. If you've got vehicles feeding onto the freeway so close to the exit from the same lane then you are asking for trouble. On ramps and exits should be much farther apart. They use the same lane, and I can see drivers struggling to change lanes. Danger warning!

And secondly, it should be illegal to under-take vehicles on the freeway, as it is in the UK actually. The right hand lanes should be for slower vehicles and faster vehicles should stick to the outside lanes. It's a no brainer. If you're in a situation where you've got cars speeding past you on both sides then that is a recipe for disaster.

So those are my observations on driving here. I know some don't like negatives mentioned too much about Phoenix. We live here because we like the place, after all. But in the road safety area changes need to be made!!

Old 04-27-2013, 02:00 AM

13 posts, read 20,521 times
I moved here from Kansas City as well and I am an auto claims adjuster. To me it seems like there are way more accidents on the highways here than there were in KC. Also, there are far more multi vehicle accidents. Nearly every claim in Kansas City was between 2 cars. Many accidents that I get in Phoenix involve 3, 4, or 5 cars.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:44 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,759,929 times
Its funny this thread was brought up because on my way in to work this morning, the west bound I-17 on ramp from the 10 was closed due to a bad bad car accident. Not sure what happened, however, every rubbernecker on the 10 was trying to see the accident. Its scary to watch the head of a driver in front of you twist his head 90 degrees just to see while traveling at 50+ mph on a curve. As for the question as to whether or not we see more car accidents? I think we are at the average as most large cities. I just wish that my good driving habits be taken into consideration on my car insurance instead of the people around me. Oh well, the price to pay when living in a large city.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:49 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,759,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessebritches View Post
I moved here from Kansas City as well and I am an auto claims adjuster. To me it seems like there are way more accidents on the highways here than there were in KC. Also, there are far more multi vehicle accidents. Nearly every claim in Kansas City was between 2 cars. Many accidents that I get in Phoenix involve 3, 4, or 5 cars.
I remember one year ( perhaps 1996?? maybe?) North bound I-10, right before Casa Grande, there was like a 40 car pileup due to windy dusty weather. It was so bad that all north AND south bound traffic had to exit and travel on the frontage roads. Took like 5-6 hours to get back to phoenix. Ahh good times.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:19 PM

517 posts, read 1,704,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessebritches View Post
Many accidents that I get in Phoenix involve 3, 4, or 5 cars.
Yep. Cars too close together.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:25 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
Now granted my commute in Kansas City was a lot shorter and traffic was not nearly as dense but I don't ever recall seeing more than one accident during a single commute. My question is, do you think the Phoenix metro area has more car accidents per capita then other major metro areas you have lived in?

Or maybe it should be number of accidents per mile traveled???
Try living on the east coast. I-95 is like a demolition derby.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:40 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
I see far more accidents here and I blame the drivers that don't understand pass on the left, drive on the right. Add an HOV lane that you have to know whether it's acting as an HOV lane or the passing lane, depending on the time and day, and you have a recipe for frequent accidents.

People are constantly driving in the far left lane while not passing, forcing people to pass on the right. When traffic is also merging onto the highway, while cars are moving right to get around a slow driver, you have a dangerous situation. If people respected the rules of the road, we could get to where we're going faster and safer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area