Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 10:05 AM

9,519 posts, read 16,496,228 times

Advertisements

I always felt there is a lot more to consider about where we live, than just the climate. Its nice to have warm weather and not have to shovel snow. Its nice to have views of mountains without the view being obstructed by trees. I think way to many people see no further than those aspects and I don't understand why.

What about the feel of a place. Is it a place with more of a homey feeling with a stable population. Or a bland transient atmosphere, where no one really ever knows your name. If they do its not for to long because they come and go.

Can one make a living and prosper in a new environment vs where they are coming from.

Is the culture of where one comes from, and the culture of where they move to going to clash. Will they be stimulated by their new locale or begin to feel boredom, and not want to admit that fact to themselves.

Most of all will the new location really become home, in the way home is meant to be and feel. . A place where you belong and no other place, is really ever going to replace that feeling.

I just personally think there is so much more to consider about a place than its climate. I just never really hear it though.
Mainly you hear as in Phoenix. Will I be able to take the heat, or in some cold weather climate. Will I be able to take the cold. My recommendation is see far beyond the climate and the scenic backdrops when considering a locale. Those aspects are only a part of the total picture when choosing a new location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 07:15 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,236,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
visiting in that temp, and living in 100 plus temps for months on end are two different things. I have seen bugs, scorpions (hiking) and one rattle snake here. The one rattler was at superstition state park.
We have rattlesnakes in Kansas too, and I have seen more than one. And copperheads and water moccasins too. I haven't seen any scorpions though. One thing I was thrilled about when I was in Phoenix once (actually Tempe). We ordered pizza and sat outside and ate it. It was late afternoon/early evening. If you did that in Kansas there would be flies swarming your pizza and mosquitoes biting you. And there were none. Loved it. I don't know if we just got lucky that one particularly day or if flies and mosquitoes don't exist in Arizona or for some reason left us alone that day, but if that's the norm, I could get used to it.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:38 AM

28 posts, read 84,796 times
Hardly any flying bugs here! I've seen very few mosquitos here, same with flies. We had the patio door opened much of the past winter and spring with nary a nuisance from flying creatures. I really like that aspect of Southwest living also. We couldn't really keep the door open in SLC...flies! and mosquitos after the sun set.
I did go for a hike recently and there were plenty of small flies buzzing around me but I think that was from the heat and sweat. But once I got back home very few bugs. My wife does like that part of living here too. She grew up in the Southeast and hated dealing with flying critters her whole life.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:24 AM

39,070 posts, read 51,180,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
We have rattlesnakes in Kansas too, and I have seen more than one. And copperheads and water moccasins too. I haven't seen any scorpions though. One thing I was thrilled about when I was in Phoenix once (actually Tempe). We ordered pizza and sat outside and ate it. It was late afternoon/early evening. If you did that in Kansas there would be flies swarming your pizza and mosquitoes biting you. And there were none. Loved it. I don't know if we just got lucky that one particularly day or if flies and mosquitoes don't exist in Arizona or for some reason left us alone that day, but if that's the norm, I could get used to it.
Flies come and go but are not as bad as most places in my experience. Mosquitoes are not a problem except maybe in the late monsoon period and even then, they are far and few between. I always get a kick out of going into a Walmart or something when we visit the east and they have big displays of DEET products prominently set up near the registers! You can buy bug spray here but you often have to look for it. You also see people with red welts from bites all over their legs back there and you will never see that here.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:26 AM

211 posts, read 543,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
visiting in that temp, and living in 100 plus temps for months on end are two different things. I have seen bugs, scorpions (hiking) and one rattle snake here. The one rattler was at superstition state park.
The heat never bothers me. In August in Ma we get in the 90s with horrible humidity. Now that's hard
To deal w. You jump out of ur pool and sit in the sun and within a
Min ur sweating ur A$$ off. The lack of humidity in Az
Makes the temp no problem IMO. I would look forward to 3 months of 90-100 temps. While the remainder of the months are great. Coming from Ma where we literally get about 8 weeks of nice summer weather,
It's depressing. I love the sun, I get depressed when the weather is miserable here. It very funny to watch people here in Ma when we have a gorgeous sunny day. People are just happy and in a great mood.
For those who complain about the Sunny Az weather I suggest u come visit Ma or another state for te winter months and when it gets dark at 3:45-4pm. You'll be Dying to return to Az after a month Or two here !!!

Old 05-11-2013, 02:51 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,772,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I consider Kansas Midwest. Some don't, but those of us who live here do - at least the Kansas City area.
If it isn't Midwest then what could it be? Kansas City is about as Midwest as you can be.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:00 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,772,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunni2012 View Post
The heat never bothers me. In August in Ma we get in the 90s with horrible humidity. Now that's hard
To deal w. You jump out of ur pool and sit in the sun and within a
Min ur sweating ur A$$ off. The lack of humidity in Az
Makes the temp no problem IMO. I would look forward to 3 months of 90-100 temps. While the remainder of the months are great. Coming from Ma where we literally get about 8 weeks of nice summer weather,
It's depressing. I love the sun, I get depressed when the weather is miserable here. It very funny to watch people here in Ma when we have a gorgeous sunny day. People are just happy and in a great mood.
For those who complain about the Sunny Az weather I suggest u come visit Ma or another state for te winter months and when it gets dark at 3:45-4pm. You'll be Dying to return to Az after a month Or two here !!!
Temperatures of 90 - 100 are quite comfortable with the low humidity. However low humidity goes out the window when the temps are 110+. I do agree that the climate in Phoenix is much better than the Northeast or most of the country. The only state with a better climate is California.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:17 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,690,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
Temperatures of 90 - 100 are quite comfortable with the low humidity. However low humidity goes out the window when the temps are 110+. I do agree that the climate in Phoenix is much better than the Northeast or most of the country. The only state with a better climate is California.
I'm from CA and I don't think so at all. CA weather is so boring: too much of a good thing is too much.

I now reside in NM. I love the mild change of seasons. No humidity in summer. And we rarely, hit over 100. Even in our hottest month of July. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:41 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,198,679 times
I think Hawaii has the best climate. More lush and green than the Southwest, warmer winters, and summers aren't as oppressive as Phoenix. Humidity is never too high there either, especially with the trade winds.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:50 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,236,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
If it isn't Midwest then what could it be? Kansas City is about as Midwest as you can be.
I have been told (by people who don't live here) that Kansas City is mid south and that Midwest is further north. I've lived in Kansas/Missouri all my life and to us, it's Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area