Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2013, 10:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,956 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We're (wife+2) planning to move end of June to Gilbert or Chandler AZ. We visited the area for a week and really liked it. Recent heard about the large community of Mormons around this area, after reading and learning about the Mormons belief through official web sites, I know the Mormons are nothing but goodness. Thus, in many forums I've read that they are usually meeting with their kind only and not befriend with others. I have 2 boys 11 and 9 which are very nice and friendly and I'm wondering if limiting friendships options is the right thing to do for them? We're Jewish but not orthodox, we believe in g_d and we love sharing this land with other believers.. We're just looking to find a good quality place to settle. It's a big step for us, especially for the fact that we're investing in buying a house in this area. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you, T.
P.S.
I'm also planning to open art school for kids & adults at this area. I had a successfu art school here in Orange County, CA..any advise here might help, tnx!

Last edited by taldv; 04-29-2013 at 10:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 08:53 AM

639 posts, read 971,553 times
There is a strong Mormon community in the area, however, there are many who are all different religions as well. They won't be shunned, but they may not be invited to birthday parties, sleepovers, etc. of the children who are Mormon. My daughter made friends with no problem, and she does have Mormon friends, but she understands that they aren't allowed to have sleepovers. Gilbert and Chandler are both great areas for raising a family.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:17 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
The reported population of Gilbert is only about 13 percent Mormon. You are going to find a lot of great neighborhoods there (and in Chandler) where, as the above poster indicates, there is not going to be a significant problem with what you are concerned about.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:19 AM

701 posts, read 1,428,868 times
The largest, most concentrated population of Jewish people in the Valley is in Scottsdale. There are several synagogues and a beautiful JCC there.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:38 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,978,552 times
Chandler and Gilbert are great areas to raise a family....no argument there at all. Chandler is personally more to my liking. It's suburban enough yet close enough to Tempe, Phoenix, and Scottsdale. It's also more diverse than Gilbert. Gilbert is very suburban and far out. It's not that diverse at all. My girlfriend and I are pretty much the only black people at San Tan Village on the rare occasion we do go to Gilberto. Although the Mormon thing is definitely over hyped, the LDS church however does run the town government but that's not a bad thing just a lot of people dislike that. Being Jewish like someone mentioned above there is a more visible presence of a the Jewish community in Scottsdale and Central Phoenix.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:17 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Chandler and Gilbert are both very nice areas. In Scottsdale, both my new neighbors are Jewish and we have have no shortage of menorah and dreidel displays around the holidays. I know you said you're not orthodox but there are also several Kosher restaurants around town too. As others have said, Scottsdale has a larger Jewish population.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,052 times
This is very interesting that you point out the fact that the population of Mormons has declined; to the point where they are actually a minority. I do not know how accurate this information is or where it was obtained; but if you live, work, or have children who attend Gilbert schools, this low percentage just doesn't seem to be accurate. I did however read another person's post on this forum validating your point; that the percentage of Mormons is actually not as high as one would think (or as it used to be) HOWEVER....the percentage that does exist, happen to be some of the oldest, prestigious families in AZ, they are in control politically and active in the school board which has recently caused some major problems. So, even though the percentage itself may be low; its the point is that this now "small" group of people take up all the positions of power.

"They won't be shunned....but may not be invited to birthday parties, sleepovers"....I have a true understanding of what you are saying here and I agree. I have experienced a charter school situation where over 90% of the students and staff were Mormon. Though it's true that I did not see any outright bullying, shunning, or hostile behavior; I did see that the students that were not Mormon; not part of the inner circle of the Ward and tight nit community, did not have opportunities to socialize outside of school. They were left out and excluded. Unfortunately, even though it's not done with malice, and I wouldn't label it being shunned; it's certainly not what you'd want for yourself or your child. Who wants to feel excluded, left out, not part of a very close group, and the feeling of never really being accepted for who you are? It is something to be concerned about as a parent. Be concerned, and know this is what you may be putting at stake when living in this community and enrolling your child in a Gilbert school.

Last edited by observer53; 04-27-2014 at 06:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area