Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 11:46 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,070 times

Advertisements

I bought a motorcycle a while back. Well, actually I bought two. The first one I rode for less than an hour and it spun a rod bearing and it's not worth rebuilding so I bought another one.
Anyway, this one is working out fine and I've taken short trips around town and yesterday I took a ride to Florence and back. Now I'm thinking about taking a longer trip. I've thought about making a circular route from here in east Mesa down the 60 to Arizona Ave. and down to Case Grande, then down to Tucson, over to Bisbee, Tombstone, Sierra Vista and then back home. That's probably a two day trip though.
A friend of mine and I are probably going to take a short trip to Payson and check out that area but other than those, I don't have a clue what would be a good ride.
Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 11:51 AM

1,112 posts, read 3,999,055 times
Have you gone through Wickenburg and on AZ89 up Yarnell Hill yet? Going through Peeples Valley, Wilhoit, and ending up in Prescott. It's a nice trip. One of the more popular runs in state as far as the motorcycle crowd goes.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyW View Post
Have you gone through Wickenburg and on AZ89 up Yarnell Hill yet? Going through Peeples Valley, Wilhoit, and ending up in Prescott. It's a nice trip. One of the more popular runs in state as far as the motorcycle crowd goes.
Nope. I haven't thought of that. Actually, I'd like to go to Wickenburg. I spent a few summers there when I was a kid. The guy that owned the dry cleaner that my father managed (an eventually bought) lived in Wickenburg. His name was Tom Wilmeth. He owned a Beachcraft Bonanza (aircraft) and he would fly over to California, pick my brother and I up at the airport and fly us back to his ranch. He had a runway right there on his property.
Anyway, he was killed when he was flying low in the desert looking for some lost hikers. They had recently put up high tension lines but hadn't marked them yet. He flew right into them. From what I understand, one of his kids is now a Sheriff in Wickenburg. I'd like to look him up.
Going to Prescott for the day might be a great trip. Thanks for the tip...

Old 05-04-2013, 01:12 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,999,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
Going to Prescott for the day might be a great trip. Thanks for the tip...
Definitely is. Just make sure you go the back route through Wickenburg, like I said. Much more scenic and stress free. Going up I-17 and through Prescott Valley takes all the fun out of it.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:04 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
and, coming or going, take the side road off 89 thru Kirkland, Skull Valley, and Iron Springs (see a map)....very pretty ranch country and nice history....and a nice way to come into Prescott via the Iron Springs Road.....

Old 05-04-2013, 05:31 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,057,995 times
Riding up to Tortill Flats is a very popular ride. Also, going up through Globe and then around Roosevelt Lake and back down the Beeline. There is a ranger station that is quite interesting. It's like a mini museum. Be safe!

Old 05-04-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Tracy View Post
Riding up to Tortill Flats is a very popular ride. Also, going up through Globe and then around Roosevelt Lake and back down the Beeline. There is a ranger station that is quite interesting. It's like a mini museum. Be safe!
I live in east Mesa. Far east Mesa. Almost to the AJ border. I take that ride to Tortilla Flats all the time. It's a beautiful ride that I never tire of.
I like the idea of going to Globe and back home down the Beeline. That sounds like a great day trip.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:26 PM

890 posts, read 2,279,763 times
I did a day trip up the Apache Trail, to the 188, to the 87 into Payson, east on the 260 to Show Low, down the 77/60 through Salt River Canyon into Globe, and back to Phoenix on the 60. Works out well with where you live, too. You get to see Roosevelt Lake, the remnants of the Rodeo-Chediski fire surrounded by the remaining ponderosa pine forests, as well as the canyon which is full of crazy switchbacks. I love it.

Christopher Creek is a very short side trip that is worth checking out, and if you leave early enough you could hit Pine and Strawberry as well. I got to the Apache Trail at noon and was back around 8 when it was just getting dark (summer). So leaving early will make time for the side trips/stopping for food and such.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:42 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,946,996 times
I love the road to Tortilla Flat, but the pavement is rough. 89/89A is an awesome ride -- scenic, with mostly wide sweepers.

If you do head south, go through Sonoita on AZ-83. It starts nice and wide, rolling through Arizona's wine country. Continue down 83 into the national forest. Hang a left onto Cimarron Rd, and cut through Fort Huachuca to get to Sierra Vista (you just need a photo ID to enter. Don't speed on post, MP's will get you). Leave post out of Main Gate (just follow the signs) and shoot down Fry Blvd. Turn left onto Charleston Rd and head out of town. Nice sweepers all the way to Tombstone. AZ-80 will take you down to Bisbee.

...like you said, though, it'd be more than a day trip.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:17 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
If you are going up to Payson, just keep going up through Strawberry and then cut over to Flagstaff and down through Prescott then back to the valley. It's a big loop. It will take the whole day about 7 or 8 hours but if you start out early your good to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area