Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 12:34 AM

124 posts, read 409,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
Gilbert is a Mormon community? I never knew that, I always thought it was just a wholesome town....
FYI, Mesa has the second largest number of Mormons in the United States outside of Salt Lake City. Gilibert is next to Mesa. Basically, the wealthy Mormons moved to Gilbert and created an upscale community. Gilbert then attracted many non-Mormons due to good schools, safe community and overall cleanliness. It has turned into a wealthy and highly educated albeit politically conservative city in Maricopa county. Nonetheless, its city council and the people who essentially run the city are very much Mormon. The irony of Gilbert is the very traits that make it successful are the same ones that dissuade many people from moving there namely it's conservative Mormon influence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 09:57 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,010 times
Here is some information that was printed in the Gilbert "Your Town" free newspaper that'a mailed out.

"Recently released crime statistics from the FBI shows Gilbert is the safest community in Arizona for communities with 100,000 people or more. Gilbert had just 1.4 violent crimes per 1,000 people last year, the lowest among the larger cities in the state. Gilbert also easily had the lowest per-capita ratio of property crimes..."

"...The Gilbert PD offers a number of ongoing programs to help keep residents and business owenrs safe..."

I know that the Gilbert PD is very responsive, pro-active, and especially friendly. As president of our HOA board of directors I've had many contacts with them over the last few years for various reasons, mostly for teenage vandalism and a couple of stolen vehicles from our community. (Gilbert is not crime-free)

One night my neighbor woke me up at midnight and told me his boat was stolen. He had heard a noise on the lake but didn't think much about it until he got up about 10 minutes later to go to the bath room. He looked out and saw his boat missing. He called the police and they went looking around the lake. Then he came to get me. The police saw one boat heading to shore and kids got off and got away.

They had stolen 5 boats (electric pontoon party boats that go about 5 mph) and the plan was to get them tied up in a circle in the large part of the lake so they continue in the circle until the batteries run down, or they hit something. It has been done in other lakes by teens.

They had 4 cop cars there looking for the kids. After they knew they had gotten away, they asked if they could help us retrieve the boats. (They could have left at this time and not offered any further assistance) We took my boat and three cops went with us. They jumped from my boat onto the other moving boats and took them to the club house where there was a large dock and tied them up.

During this time they were in a relaxed mode and were having fun trying to catch the boats and jumping on them. These boats are very hard to steer at slow speeds so they had fun teasing each other about the way they were driving.

Once we recovered the boats and got back to my house where their cars were, they demeanor changed back from a relaxed individual to the cop ready for what comes next.

If they had gotten an emergency call the we would have taken them back to shore immediately and we would have recovered the boats ourselves.

Their willingness to offer their assistance to get these boats stopped and tied up helped to prevent these boats from being damaged, and from damaging any other property.

I'm not a Morman, but have a few Morman friends who do not push their religion on me, nor do they even discuss it. Could it be that a strong Morman presence has something to do with the lower crime rate in Gilbert?

That is a question - it is not a suggestion or implication- I do not have that answer.

Bill

Old 11-04-2007, 11:41 AM

477 posts, read 1,582,897 times
Is there somethng wrong with NOT wanting your children to see women in lingerie when you take them to the mall???? I don't see why everyone is coming down so hard on "Gilbert"? It's just like the strip club down the street from me.....they put a sign up once that said "Pimp and Ho party" and as we drove by, my 12 year old son asked me what it meant....I was so mad that they were allowed to put that up for everyone, no matter what age, to read!!! I'd like to shelter my children from this type of stuff for as long as possible. That's MY business as a parent!

Old 11-05-2007, 01:07 AM

111 posts, read 226,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Funny, I'd say they find some nice land in the cold country. Somewhere with parka adds instead. I mean in AZ victoria secret is almost street wear!!! And exceptionally mild compared to a lot of our stores. Thank god "Spencers gifts" didn't try to put up a store there. I don't think the butt and boob hats would go over very well.
That's the irony of it. Arizona is notorious for average everyday women dressing like street prostitutes, especially in summer, including moms who dress that way and dress their young daughters the same way.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:04 AM

146 posts, read 797,276 times
Bleh, I am moving from Portland to Phoenix area here in a few weeks and it REALLY concerns me that the Phoenix area is too conservative. I am from a very liberal area with one of the lowest church attendances in the nation (thank god), and I really do not want to be in some area where SUV driving soccer moms cry about something as stupid as a Victoria Secret ad. Also, no offense to mormons, but I really don't want to be around them either. What would be some good areas to look into in Phoenix area that are green, into public transportation/biking, not cookie-cutter, have no wal-marts, and tend to have a liberal viewpoint?

Old 11-05-2007, 08:20 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,351,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenOR View Post
Bleh, I am moving from Portland to Phoenix area here in a few weeks and it REALLY concerns me that the Phoenix area is too conservative. I am from a very liberal area with one of the lowest church attendances in the nation (thank god), and I really do not want to be in some area where SUV driving soccer moms cry about something as stupid as a Victoria Secret ad. Also, no offense to mormons, but I really don't want to be around them either. What would be some good areas to look into in Phoenix area that are green, into public transportation/biking, not cookie-cutter, have no wal-marts, and tend to have a liberal viewpoint?
Green Phoenix ares that have good public transport, no cookie cutter homes and no Wal-Marts? LOL I suggest you stay put in liberal-lovin Oregon.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:27 AM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,109,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxray View Post
You obviously have no clue what you are talking about. This is standard Gilbert behavior because it's a Mormon community. I question if you even live in the valley because everyone knows Gilbert is a really nice but conservative Mormon community. This is a big reason why people choose to live in Chandler or Ahwautukee instead because it's far less influenced by conservative right wing politics.

For your information, Mesa and Gilbert are conservative and not liberal by any means.
I think YOU not what you are talking about. I have lived in Gilbert for ages. The fact that we have Mormons residing in Gilbert does not qualify Gilbert as "a Mormorn Community" as you so like to label it. You are taking things WAY to the extreme. Your taking things to the extreme is furthered by say "everyone" knows Gilbert is a mormon community. I don't think "eveyone" knows anything of the sort. I am not mormon, my neighbors are not mormon. We have plenty of mormons and people of many faiths living in Gilbert. I challenge you to find some stats to back up your claims before coming on here and telling people that they do not know what they are talking about.
I look forward to seeing these stats.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:18 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,321,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Green Phoenix ares that have good public transport, no cookie cutter homes and no Wal-Marts? LOL I suggest you stay put in liberal-lovin Oregon.
I was thinking the same thing. Try North of Phoenix for Green, but public transportation? I'm not sure how good it is up in places like Prescott or Flagstaff.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:22 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,321,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG View Post
I think YOU not what you are talking about. I have lived in Gilbert for ages. The fact that we have Mormons residing in Gilbert does not qualify Gilbert as "a Mormorn Community" as you so like to label it. You are taking things WAY to the extreme. Your taking things to the extreme is furthered by say "everyone" knows Gilbert is a mormon community. I don't think "eveyone" knows anything of the sort. I am not mormon, my neighbors are not mormon. We have plenty of mormons and people of many faiths living in Gilbert. I challenge you to find some stats to back up your claims before coming on here and telling people that they do not know what they are talking about.
I look forward to seeing these stats.
Thanks SMG. I have always thought of Gilbert as a nice wholesome community, you know a "family friendly" town. I never associated it with Mormons. I was really surprised when I received that comment.
Besides, who cares if there are Mormons around? I have Mormon friends and I trust them a great deal! I don't get why people do not like Mormons? Every single Mormon person I have met has always been very kind.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:28 AM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,109,789 times
Personally, I have no issues with having any faith around. I have never heard of Gilbert being labeled a "Mormon community"...I do know that alot of Mormons live here, along with Catholics, Protestants, etc. I have lived here 30 years and this forum was the first I had heard of Gilbert being referred to like that...it is a bit extremet I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area