U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 12:35 PM

477 posts, read 1,018,037 times
[quote=Valley Native;1923065]I have no children ... but that's beside the point. How would I explain a "pimp and ho" party to a 12 year old? The same way I was explained a situation by my parents when I was close to that age.

It's not besides the point, you don't know what a parent would or should do until you are a parent and are in that position! I can appreciate that you and other people think they know what and how they'd feel as parent's but you don't! Not until you become one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 07:40 PM

6,066 posts, read 7,744,740 times
I understood that the real complaint was about the giant size of the posters.

The same type of posters are in a shop in Superstition Springs mall and other malls, but they are not the monster size.

I saw the posters on a night we were there, before the complaint,and neither my wife nor I were offended by the photos. I thought the huge size of the posters was a bit preposterous, and not in keeping with good neighborly relations among the other shop keepers.

The neighbor shops could possibly have a complaint that the over sized posters could unfairly distract attention from their shops, and possibly be a lease violation.

While the photos do not bother me and I would not complain, I have to respect the values of others. If they feel offended by it, then fortunately we in this country have the right to protest, and they did.

Bill

Old 11-06-2007, 09:31 PM

477 posts, read 1,018,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I understood that the real complaint was about the giant size of the posters.

The same type of posters are in a shop in Superstition Springs mall and other malls, but they are not the monster size.

I saw the posters on a night we were there, before the complaint,and neither my wife nor I were offended by the photos. I thought the huge size of the posters was a bit preposterous, and not in keeping with good neighborly relations among the other shop keepers.

The neighbor shops could possibly have a complaint that the over sized posters could unfairly distract attention from their shops, and possibly be a lease violation.

While the photos do not bother me and I would not complain, I have to respect the values of others. If they feel offended by it, then fortunately we in this country have the right to protest, and they did.

Bill
Well said!!!!

Old 11-06-2007, 11:35 PM

9,824 posts, read 12,441,687 times
[quote=Boatdrinks;1896796]I thought it was some Mesa residents who made the complaints...not that it matters much, I guess....

As for hating Gilbert b/c it's too family oriented, well that's like saying you hate NYC for being too fun. Gilbert doesn't advertise itself as being a hooter-friendly city. It's a family oriented area and makes not bones about it. It'd be different if the Mayor changed the Gilbert motto to be "Gilbert - Come Visit Us Because We LOOOOOOVE Boobs!" but he didn't. People who live in Gilbert should know what they're buying into.

That said, I walked right by those "horrific" boob posters and didn't even notice them. I was shocked to hear that people were complaining b/c I didn't see it. I seriously think people have entirely too much time on their hands and if they insist on protesting, what about the belly shirts and mini-skirts that elementary school girls run around in nowadays...[/quote

You got that right. I was in the supermarket the other day, and some guys were checking this girl out. She was dressed in tight geans that let you know she had all the right parts and they were where they blonged. She had a tight shirt that also displayed same. You could see her mid section. I would say the girl looked great. Her mom happened to be with her. The two guys made a comment and this lady tears there heads off she was so upset. She let them know that her daughter was just a little girl. Now the girl was probably 16 or so. (Maybe she was only 13, hard to tell now adays.) I am thinking that if she doesn't want the advertising maybe she should have her little girl dress more appropriatly. I know that there are some that will think maybe i am a little preverted or something. I am just saying that if you don't like something maybe you shouldn't be allowing it in your own home. Kind of like not watching a Rated R movie at the theatre because it is not appropriate and then renting a rated R movie at the video store. Can you have it both ways?

Old 11-17-2007, 01:03 PM

51 posts, read 101,493 times
looks like the signs are still up.

Lingerie display still has tongues wagging (broken link)

Old 12-09-2007, 12:10 PM

3 posts, read 3,420 times
Default Victoria Secret's Gilbert Prude(s)

Reply to below: it sounds like another self-righteous, close-minded Mormon is at it again! Perhaps, V.S. should market the underwear they chose to wear in some nice prints/cuts???? Might make life more interesting for them behind closed doors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Victoria's Secret opts to tone down images (broken link)

Because of a small, vocal minority of malcontents, Victoria's Secret at the San Tan Mall in Gilbert is being forced to change the images of models pictured wearing lingerie. It's too bad these protestors are too wrapped up in their own self righteous babbling to realize that lingerie is what Victoria's Secret SELLS ... and these so called "racy images" are nothing more than ads.

According to the article, one woman exlaimed, "There it was, bigger than life. These breasts towering over me!" Oh my! Big hooters hovering over her. Whatever will she do??? Obviously a jealous woman ... or somebody with nothing better to do than to control PRIVATE business.

As usual, these prudes claim that it's all about protecting children. If they want to protect their children, targeting a Victoria's Secret billboard is not the way to do it. I'd say a large ad displaying women in their undies is pretty mild compared to all the crap on TV or the internet which kids have easy access to. Furthermore, if they're so offended by what they see, DON'T LOOK!

Old 12-09-2007, 12:15 PM

Default Where to Move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Sounds like you REALLY need to reconsider your prospective move
Well, don't move to Gilbert or Mesa........but on the other hand, the more of a mix we get the better, it's time to change things and not let one
religious group dominate everything! So, on the other hand, do move here!

Old 12-09-2007, 12:16 PM

Default Signs still up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gophins72 View Post
looks like the signs are still up.

Lingerie display still has tongues wagging (broken link)
I haven't seen them, but since when does one religious group dictate in our country what a business can and cannot put up on a billboard.......Gilbert needs to be stopped! I hope the signs stay up, heck, why not put them right next to the LDS temples.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:20 PM

4,300 posts, read 9,814,378 times
I can't wait to see what these signs look like.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:22 PM

25,105 posts, read 23,052,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK50 View Post
I haven't seen them, but since when does one religious group dictate in our country what a business can and cannot put up on a billboard.......Gilbert needs to be stopped! I hope the signs stay up, heck, why not put them right next to the LDS temples.
First, you don't know the religious faith of those that complained.

Second, it is not the City of Gilbert involved here

Next, the signs are still up (as of last weekend)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area