U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 12:19 PM

788 posts, read 1,342,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettearose View Post
I support their right to protest but I disagree with why they chose to. If the protesters protect their children at home from viewing these ads then I don't see why they can't protect them by avoid San Tan Village, shopping at other malls or shopping on-line.
Exactly what I was going to say. I live in Gilbert and oppose the attempt to censor businesses, this one being one that sells lingerie. If they are so offended, they should have protested the mall allowing VS as one of their vendors. Besides, parents can try to shelter their kids, but sometimes the more they try to shelter, the more the kids are going to want to see what is forbidden. I say that there needs to be a little less shame about the human body in general and more open discussion and education. The repression is one of many causes of promiscuity among teens. In any case, protesting a lingerie store displaying their product being used is silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 07:06 PM

6,066 posts, read 8,493,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artliquide View Post
Exactly what I was going to say. I live in Gilbert and oppose the attempt to censor businesses, this one being one that sells lingerie. If they are so offended, they should have protested the mall allowing VS as one of their vendors. Besides, parents can try to shelter their kids, but sometimes the more they try to shelter, the more the kids are going to want to see what is forbidden. I say that there needs to be a little less shame about the human body in general and more open discussion and education. The repression is one of many causes of promiscuity among teens. In any case, protesting a lingerie store displaying their product being used is silly.
I believe the protest was not about the store's existance, or the posters. It was about the large size of the posters. My 13 year old grand daughter said she didn't see anything wrong with the photos on the posters, but she thought the very large size of the posters was "rediculous".

Old 01-05-2008, 08:57 PM

5,296 posts, read 10,411,317 times
In the 40's there was a movie made by Howard Huges starring a well endowed movie star named JANE RUSSELL. She was depicted doing the THING in a hay loft. ( A western movie). So today, what is the big deal. Victoria Secret is only jumping ahead 60 yrs from the past. Today a man says to his 12 yr old son, we need to have a discussion about SEX. Son says, sure pop, what do you want to know. End of discussion. Steve

Old 01-06-2008, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
In the 40's there was a movie made by Howard Huges starring a well endowed movie star named JANE RUSSELL. She was depicted doing the THING in a hay loft. ( A western movie). So today, what is the big deal. Victoria Secret is only jumping ahead 60 yrs from the past. Today a man says to his 12 yr old son, we need to have a discussion about SEX. Son says, sure pop, what do you want to know. End of discussion. Steve
Oh man, how true is that. Little do the parents know how much the kids know these days, and they don't even need big posters to learn it.

Wait a second...the Spruce Goose dude made a movie?

Old 01-06-2008, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I believe the protest was not about the store's existance, or the posters. It was about the large size of the posters. My 13 year old grand daughter said she didn't see anything wrong with the photos on the posters, but she thought the very large size of the posters was "rediculous".
Honestly, in my opinion, whether it's a huge poster or some lingerie on mannequins in the window, curious eyes will see it whether parents try to shield them or not.

So, I'm wondering, what is it that's offensive about the size of the posters? That it's blaring and obvious to everyone?

Old 01-06-2008, 04:33 PM

5,296 posts, read 10,411,317 times
Howard sure did. At that time you had to be of a certain age to enter (ONT CANADA). It was a risque movie of its time. I tried to look older then my teen yrs to get in. GOOD GOOD flik. Try to find an old copy, well worth it. Believe she still resides in Hollywood today. She is well up in yrs by now. Stefhen

Old 01-06-2008, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Howard sure did. At that time you had to be of a certain age to enter (ONT CANADA). It was a risque movie of its time. I tried to look older then my teen yrs to get in. GOOD GOOD flik. Try to find an old copy, well worth it. Believe she still resides in Hollywood today. She is well up in yrs by now. Stefhen
I would imagine so! I will look for it. My bf and I are big techno nerds, so people like Hughes are cool

Old 01-07-2008, 12:47 AM

3 posts, read 4,297 times
Talking Liberal????

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwinston73 View Post
This is standard Arizona behavior.

Living in the Phoenix area for 7 years, I learned that it is full of crybaby activist groups that hate and oppose all business and development for no good reason other than hating business and development.

This case is no different and is typical of Arizona's "community" organizations.

I think the lot of them should move to San Francisco where they can live in communes with other commie liberal wackos and leave the rest of us alone to prosper & live normal lives.
This sounds more like the prudish conservatives to me. The extremist. The, What would god think of this?, group. I am pretty sure that Arizona is a republican state, so yes, it does seem to be standard Arizona behavior.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:43 AM

25,100 posts, read 24,573,673 times
You know, Victoria's Secrets is sure getting lots, and lots of FREE ADVERTISING over this -

Think about it - how long has this thread been going on?

Old 01-07-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
You know, Victoria's Secrets is sure getting lots, and lots of FREE ADVERTISING over this -

Think about it - how long has this thread been going on?
Yeah, but how many of us have run out and bought something because of it? I never have, and I doubt I ever will...not my thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area