Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 11:57 PM

8 posts, read 18,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
I lived in Florence Oregon for 23 years and moved here 2 years ago and I couldn't be happier. The sunshine (at least for me) is a very good thing and the summer heat, while hot, didn't bother me as much as I had thought it would but the above posters are correct. This is a great area but it isn't for everybody. Come down for a week or three and see for yourself.
Right now the weather will be in the high 90's but will soon be in the low 100's with hotter temps coming soon. June, July and August high temps AVERAGE about 105 so be aware of that. Temps over 110 are not uncommon either. I can't gloss it over. The summers are hot. For me that isn't a problem. I enjoy it but others????? Not so much.
Here is what some say about the summers.
"It's UNBEARABLY hot."
"You don't go outside for 6 months of the year."
"It's like living in an oven for 6 months."
"If you want to get a feel for what it's like, stick your head in the oven at 150 degrees and then take your blow dryer and blow it on your face for a few hours."

Don't let these people scare you. It isn't like that. Is it hot? Sure it is but just like in Portland, if you take just a few precautions to protect you from the weather, you'll be fine. You may not enjoy that part of the year, but you can make it through just fine. Who knows? Maybe you'll actually enjoy the heat like I do. Personally, I like the sunny days, the absolutely fantastic sunset almost every day, you WILL love being in or near the water. The sunshine just seems to make me happier than the gloomy weather of Oregon.
Either way, you need to come down and look around for yourself.
As a long time Oregon resident, if you would like some more information and my take on things, feel free to send me a message.

Good luck.
Thanks for the info my wife and I will be in Phoenix area 6/2 thur 6/9 we plan on looking into all of everything we do love the heat!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Where you live is 99% dependent on where you work. Where will you be working?

There are loads of threads about the heat. Since that is an issue that remains unchanged from the last 200 times it has been discussed, I'd suggest reading through those prior threads.
I have been working at Costco since I retired from the Postal Service in 2006 so when we find a house to rent I will look for a Costco nearby and since there are 17 of them that shouldn't be a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I can't tell from your post if you have ever been here before. You need to come down for an extended visit before deciding to pull up stakes and move. And, as suggested above, there are plenty of discussions about the climate here already. Everyone's reaction to it is entirely personal, though, so no one is going to be able to predict for you how you will tolerate it.
We are gonna be there first week in June and plan on looking around. We have been going to Palm Springs Ca. once a year since 2000 and enjoy the temps. 105 and up is ok for us. Pool time and some shade and lots of drinks do just fine!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober13 View Post
I will add, how much rent can you afford to the equation along with where you will be working. You mentioned currently living in Southern Oregon. Is that Medford or near there? The climate there is a little warmer than the Portland area.

Give us some details, and we can share our OPINIONS about places for you to check out.
We live in Medford which hit 90 degrees today! We have set $1200 as our rent per month. Work at Costco now since 2006 and might transfer once we get a house in what city I don't know yet but there are 17 Costcos in the Phoenix area so it should not be hard to get hired on.

Last edited by observer53; 05-11-2013 at 03:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 12:31 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times
What people often neglect to mention is that Arizona has four distinct climates. In the summer when the temps are scorching in the valley I have options. I can travel north to flagstaff, Sedona or Prescott. I can also go to Payson, Greer or Pine Top. I can go to Mt. Lemmon in Tucson, Sierra Vista or down to laid back Bisbee. Plenty to see and do if you're into hiking or the outdoors in general. Good luck.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:49 AM

Default ponytailpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober13 View Post
I will add, how much rent can you afford to the equation along with where you will be working. You mentioned currently living in Southern Oregon. Is that Medford or near there? The climate there is a little warmer than the Portland area.

Give us some details, and we can share our OPINIONS about places for you to check out.
Thanks for the feedback, we can do $1200 or so for a rental with a pool per month. Live in Medford (was 90degrees today) I am working at Costco part-time and know there are 17 in the Phoenix area. So getting a job transfer is not hard. Must first find a house and we are coming down jn June to look around so what city we land in Im sure a Costco will not be far away.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:56 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytailpat View Post
Thanks for the feedback, we can do $1200 or so for a rental with a pool per month. Live in Medford (was 90degrees today) I am working at Costco part-time and know there are 17 in the Phoenix area. So getting a job transfer is not hard. Must first find a house and we are coming down jn June to look around so what city we land in Im sure a Costco will not be far away.
Actually, I think it's 17 in Arizona, which includes the cities of Tucson and Prescott.

I'd suggest that you get the transfer before you rent the house. Then rent the house nearish that costco. The distance between two costco's in the Phoenix can be HUGE. Do you want a 2 hours commute each way?

And are you SURE Costco is hiring down here?

Please be smart and check this out BEFORE you move. And I doubt you're going to be able to rent a house without a job anyway.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:38 PM

I will be talking with Costco soon to set up about trans fer before I move. I have found out about having job to get a rental, and have read about the long commute times so it makes sense to live near your job.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Where you live is 99% dependent on where you work. Where will you be working?

There are loads of threads about the heat. Since that is an issue that remains unchanged from the last 200 times it has been discussed, I'd suggest reading through those prior threads.
Ok I"ll do that thanks

Old 05-15-2013, 05:53 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,719,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytailpat View Post
Live in Medford (was 90degrees today)
Oooooooh. I challenge anyone to find a more beautiful place on this planet then the Rogue River Valley during the summer.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:20 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,264,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
Oooooooh. I challenge anyone to find a more beautiful place on this planet then the Rogue River Valley during the summer.
well..tough, but got to throw Bellingham Washington into that ring. Also, Leavenworth Wa.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:42 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,070 times
I lived on the Oregon coast for 23 years. I have to put that into the mix. For a few weeks during the late summer, it's the most beautiful place in my opinion. The other 49 weeks a year, I couldn't handle the rain.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:20 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,264,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
I lived on the Oregon coast for 23 years. I have to put that into the mix. For a few weeks during the late summer, it's the most beautiful place in my opinion. The other 49 weeks a year, I couldn't handle the rain.
Oregon Coast for sure....Cannon Beach was the most scenic spot I remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area