Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 01:10 PM

344 posts, read 809,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Chris Webb View Post
Many of my buyers say having no tub in the master is a deal-breaker. As mentioned before in this thread, many elderly buyers will prefer a walk-in shower. Most new homes have both. For the majority of buyers, the ideal master bath has a large walk-in shower, a soaking tub, a large walk-in closet, and a long vanity with double sinks. Of course, different strokes for different folks...
That might be true with new homes, but I believe that the appeal of a shub in narrow confines isn't likely to attract many, especially as compared with either a nicely redone, spacious tub or shower but not both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 01:32 PM

22,658 posts, read 6,401,890 times
Our house was built in 2005, the master bath has both a walk in shower and a separate garden tub. The garden tub
has been used only twice, we always use the shower. The other bathroom has a regular tub which has been used more often..

Old 05-11-2013, 01:37 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,718,182 times
We've been in two different homes since 1983, each with a luxurious tub. They have been used maybe 5 times. It would definitely not be a deal breaker to us to have a master bath without a tub. I can imagine it being a selling point to us if instead there was a larger than normal shower. I think that people spend too much timing thinking of their home as an investment and not enough thinking of it as the place that they are living in. Who knows what will happen in five years. If you want to get rid of the tub, go for it.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:45 PM

240 posts, read 835,920 times
How about having the tub inside the shower area?

Example 1 Example 2 Example 3 Example 4 Example 5

We are probably going to do it this way as our master bath is longer than wider, and we've already redone the guest bath where we removed thew tub, moved the toilet over, widening the tub area, and put in a walk-in shower. We love it, and so we'll likely do a walk-in shower in the master but stick the tub inside the shower area so we still have a tub.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:12 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,264,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youthinkso View Post
A steam shower? Those were popular in....1992.
You must not be watching Bathtastic or Bath Crashers on the DIY Network. Lots of those people get steam showers. And those other tricked-out features DetroitN8V put in his house.

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 05-11-2013 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-11-2013, 07:55 PM

8,237 posts, read 8,573,897 times
A forward thinking senior would know that while they may prefer a shower now, a tub is necessary for when they can no longer bathe themselves. An aide will not get in the shower with them.

Most old people I know still take baths. They have grab bars all around to avoid the slips and falls. Why would anyone of any age step out of the tub with nothing to hold on to. When I sold my last house every person commented positively on the grab bars.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:35 PM

942 posts, read 2,510,620 times
I use my tub nightly and wouldn't buy a house without a tub.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:12 AM

19,385 posts, read 27,654,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Chris Webb View Post
Many of my buyers say having no tub in the master is a deal-breaker. As mentioned before in this thread, many elderly buyers will prefer a walk-in shower. Most new homes have both. For the majority of buyers, the ideal master bath has a large walk-in shower, a soaking tub, a large walk-in closet, and a long vanity with double sinks. Of course, different strokes for different folks...
In the last 3 houses we have owned, we never once used the tub in the master bath. That said, Chris's advice is the one we would (and have) listened to with every home we have purchased.

We just finished building our current home, and had the option of getting rid of the tub. We didn't - and this home is in a community that is marketed to "mature active adults." Why? Because it's STILL a deal breaker to lose the tub for some buyers. Our realtor AND the builder strongly advised us not to get rid of the tub in the master. (it was a builder upgrade to lose the tub) We did, however, dump the tub in the guest bathroom (which was also a builder upgrade).

Old 05-12-2013, 10:31 AM

357 posts, read 709,618 times
I never once cared about a tub during my house hunting. Ended up with a large master bath with a large walk in shower. I absolutely love it. It's not all tricked out with shower heads but is very roomy. The second bath does have a traditional tub. Seems to be lots of disagreement here which I'm surprised about. I don't know anyone who actually takes baths enough to care.

Anyways, just my two cents....

Old 05-12-2013, 08:03 PM

654 posts, read 1,491,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
You must not be watching Bathtastic or Bath Crashers on the DIY Network. Lots of those people get steam showers. And those other tricked-out features DetroitN8V put in his house.

TV shows...nope don't do TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area