Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 07:08 AM

68 posts, read 195,930 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Phoenix later this year, but we are not sure where he will be working. Can you suggest a safe area that we can temporarily rent an apartment that is somewhat central to all towns (ie. Glendale, Perioa, Scottsdale, Mesa, Chandler, etc.) Are there certain areas to avoid as far as safety? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 08:41 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Well, staying in fairly central Phoenix would seem to be your best bet. Then at least part of your commute will be in reverse, no matter where the work location is. You may have a few more options to the east of Central Ave than to the west.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:43 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,639,651 times
If being central is the goal, I'd be in Arcadia or the Biltmore area without question.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:43 AM

582 posts, read 1,481,875 times
I would suggest an extended stay 1 bedroom apartment. Budget Suites at 7th Ave and Indian School is the best bet. I have stayed here before. Pets welcome, no credit check, just fill out the app, pay around $230 or so per week or $750 0r so per month (it varies by a few dollars depending on varying factors) and move right in, daily from 7AM to midnight. Full kitchen, furnished, 6 blocks from light rail, grocery store next door, right in the heart of town. This area is walkable to a lot of things, and as close to the middle as you can get. 2 miles west to I-17, 2.5 miles east to Hwy 51, 2.5 miles south to I-10.

I wouldn't suggest their other locations as they are not as central, and don't have as many amenities nearby.

Once you learn the area and know where you will be working, you can move out with no notice. Provide your own linens, microwave, dishes, just like an apartment. Has a tv. Has a large laundry room, pool and sauna, full basic cable and HBO.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:17 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
If being central is the goal, I'd be in Arcadia or the Biltmore area without question.

Arcadia's not central if the job location ends up being in Peoria or Glendale, etc. That, and there are very few options for apartments IN Arcadia.

Biltmore, or Camelback East, area is as far east as I would go if I really didn't know how far west I might be working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober13 View Post
I would suggest an extended stay 1 bedroom apartment. Budget Suites at 7th Ave and Indian School is the best bet. I have stayed here before. Pets welcome, no credit check, just fill out the app, pay around $230 or so per week or $750 0r so per month (it varies by a few dollars depending on varying factors) and move right in, daily from 7AM to midnight. Full kitchen, furnished, 6 blocks from light rail, grocery store next door, right in the heart of town. This area is walkable to a lot of things, and as close to the middle as you can get. 2 miles west to I-17, 2.5 miles east to Hwy 51, 2.5 miles south to I-10.

I wouldn't suggest their other locations as they are not as central, and don't have as many amenities nearby.

Once you learn the area and know where you will be working, you can move out with no notice. Provide your own linens, microwave, dishes, just like an apartment. Has a tv. Has a large laundry room, pool and sauna, full basic cable and HBO.
Good suggestion. That way you aren't tied into a six month lease, which is probably as short as you could get.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:31 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,639,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Arcadia's not central if the job location ends up being in Peoria or Glendale, etc. That, and there are very few options for apartments IN Arcadia.
Is anywhere in the Valley central to all potential job locations though?

Old 05-13-2013, 12:51 PM

582 posts, read 1,481,875 times
The area I mentioned are as Central as you can get. Central Ave divides east and west in Phoenix, and Washington Street divides north and south. That intersection is the heart of downtown Phoenix. But if you have a job in Gilbert or East Mesa, that is about 200 blocks east and maybe 100-130 blocks south of Central Ave and Washington Street.

Going west, to a job in Goodyear is 139 blocks west of Central and Washington, and to north Glendale let's say Arrowhead Mall area is 170 blocks north and 75 blocks west.

The Budget Suites I mentioned is 46 blocks from Central Ave and Washington and 6 blocks from Central Ave. It is blocks from the business and financial district along Central Ave in Phoenix.

So looking at a map, this gives a little distance and directional perspective.

For a job in North Scottsdale, from Central and Washington is about 120 blocks north, and 72-88 blocks east.

I live near the central part of town, and I can virtually go in any direction without in being prohibitively far. Some days are westside days. I do all my errands that are in Maryvale, Glendale, or even Goodyear. Some days are my Mesa Chandler days. Others are Paradise Valley and Scottsdale.

If I lived to the extreme east or west then the extreme opposite direction may be a drive I wouldn't choose to make as often.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:13 PM

77 posts, read 123,255 times
Totally agree with you Goober. I was looking at Chandler, then Camelback, but am looking to close on a place in the 85015 zip. Pretty much central to everything

Old 05-13-2013, 02:39 PM

451 posts, read 769,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Is anywhere in the Valley central to all potential job locations though?
Not really, no. The Phoenix area is pretty spread out. If you found a place in central Phoenix (which, at least in my opinion, doesn't really jive with your safe/low crime requirement), then you'd still be 20+ miles away from outlying areas. But that would probably be your best bet as far as being as close as possible to everywhere at once. Good luck to you!

Old 05-13-2013, 03:18 PM

357 posts, read 711,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRedhead View Post
Not really, no. The Phoenix area is pretty spread out. If you found a place in central Phoenix (which, at least in my opinion, doesn't really jive with your safe/low crime requirement), then you'd still be 20+ miles away from outlying areas. But that would probably be your best bet as far as being as close as possible to everywhere at once. Good luck to you!
Most parts of Central Phoenix are very safe - a VERY general rule is east of 7th ave and north of Camelback. There are lots of areas outside of this "rule" that are very nice and safe but it might be somewhere to start. Zip codes 85016 and 85018 are me favorite. These zip codes put you near the 51 and also a short drive to much of the valley.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area