Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 02:15 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times

Advertisements

You will find many threads here already on Glendale, as well as Peoria and Surprise. If you use the search function here and look for threads on apartments in each city (search each separately) you should find some helpful info already. I'm sure there are plenty of suitable apartments in Glendale and the other cities. Generally, the further north you go in Glendale, the newer things get. There's nothing, however, that could be called a ghetto as most people use that word as a noun, not an adjective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 01:00 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
How about taking a drive up here this weekend and look around? Then you can see exactly what you will be getting . Maybe stay for a night so you can view areas after dark too.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:22 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,999,055 times
Glendale is fine, overall. There are better places, and there are worse places. But generally, it's a pretty safe bet.

$400 a month is tough to work with. I know there are a few complexes on Northern that might fall into that price range. Generally, in this part of the valley, I would say Northern is as far south as you should go. Try to stay west of 35th Avenue, as well.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:53 PM

2 posts, read 13,479 times
I certainly intend to visit before moving; I do hope to that within the next few months.
So it sounds like Glendale isn't the best.. I wonder how it fares in comparison to NE Tucson, though?

I found a few apartments on and north of Olive that looked really nice from pictures. That included Thunderbird, Peroia Ave and maybe one on Bell, All under $450.

Is Mesa full of crime? I've heard that (besides Glendale) is the cheapest Phoenix suburb.. But according to crime data I've looked at, it seems to be good in most areas.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:09 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
There are indeed some nice looking apartments along Peoria and Thunderbird, and Bell as well, if some of those are the ones in your price range, come check them out.

No, Mesa is NOT "full of crime". There's crime everywhere, but as the data you've already looked at suggests, there are many areas in Mesa where crime is not a major issue.

What are you going to be doing once you come up here? If you are working, where you work is a big determining factor as to where you live.

Old 05-26-2013, 01:37 PM

606 posts, read 1,606,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qrameses View Post
...That included Thunderbird, Peroia Ave and maybe one on Bell, All under $450.
Really? That's pretty cheap. Honestly, in a lot of places you get what you pay for, and those places could possibly either rat traps, crime hubs, or maybe just so far from everything that they have the low price tag. However, that's pure speculation as I don't know exactly where these apartments are...

Quote:
...Is Mesa full of crime? I've heard that (besides Glendale) is the cheapest Phoenix suburb.
Mesa has crime just like every other major city in the USA. That's like asking is NYC is full of crime; the answer is yes and no: Harlem, Brownsville and the S Bronx are hellholes; however the Upper East Side, City Island, and Williamsburgh are some of the safest places in the Country. Same for Mesa, AZ: there are bad areas and rich areas too.

I think the point Observer brings up (below) is a very valid answer to your above questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
What are you going to be doing once you come up here? If you are working, where you work is a big determining factor as to where you live.
Remember that to drive from the NW corner of Glendale to the SE corner to Mesa is about 65 miles, so you should try to find a place to live which will be near your work/school/focal point of AZ.

Quote:
I'm looking for an apartment for around $400 a month
I may be mistaken, but to my knowledge, you cannot find an apartment anywhere in the Metro PHX area for around $400/month that is not in a area with either: High crime, high % of minority's, is a dump, or is far as heck from everything; or a combination of the previous.

Personally I live in an area that is considered "high crime", and it's about 98% Minority, and I love it. This area is light-years ahead of the rest of the Phoenix Metro in so many ways, but I still have to deal with people turning their noses up at me when I tell them where I live.

So you can't have your cake and eat it too...For $400/month you're not gonna get everything and the sooner you accept that the sooner you will be able to realistically find a suitable home for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area