Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 02:04 PM

271 posts, read 838,937 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I've been following this board for months - what a wealth of information!

We're possibly buying in Stetson Valley in North Glendale/Phoenix (Happy Valley and 55th Avenue), and I notice it doesn't get much mention as a community to look into, and I was curious on your thoughts - pros and cons.

We picked the area because it's not too far from family in Scottsdale, seems to be conveniently located to the highway, and only about 25 miles from the airport for visiting friends. We also like its location surrounded by foothills, and we both work at home so hopefully traffic into Phoenix should not be too much of an issue (but how long would a commute be in rush hour?). We started looking over a year ago, and have made several trips out since then, and with the incentives and price decreases think now is the time.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on what you think of the area, projected growth, convenience, etc. We haven't actually visited the city of Glendale yet, how far is downtown and what is it like? We did check out the Happy Valley Center which seems to be convenient. How far is AJ's and Arrowhead Mall from us, and is there any other closer shopping? Also, any restaurants you'd recommend that are close by - we're from Boston and very much into food (you'll find me as a long-time regular on Chowhound.com). No chains please - mostly hidden ethnic spots, mom and pop, or special local places. For example, on our last visit, we had fantastic meals at Cowboy Ciao, Binkley's, and a great breakfast at the Pancake House in Scottsdale. Also, would love to know about any local butchers/farmer's markets, etc. in the area.

Thanks so much!

Last edited by Rubee; 11-02-2007 at 02:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 02:26 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,161,525 times
I live down the street from there off of Happy Valley. It's a great area to live for the most part. Traffic is growing up there with the new stores being built at the freeway and all the homes also being built. Not much with restaurants, just a few chains that are not worth mentioning. There are a few small restaurants in the strip malls and I tried 2 of them to my dismay. It's a rare thing, IMO, to find a good restaurant here. We need more grocery stores (at least better ones). We have 3 within two miles and a 4th being built.

If you work from home then it would be great as the traffic is bad on the 17 and the 101. It takes me 35 - 40 mins just to get to central phx. Arrowhead is just a few miles from there where there is much more shopping.

Stetson Valley is a pretty area and tucked in. It's pretty safe. Many homes in there are very nice. I drove through there a couple weeks ago and was very impressed. Some high dollar homes ($500k+).

It's not mentioned much on here as it's just ONE of thousands of subdivisions in the valley.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:23 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
AJ's (my favorite bakery) is on 67th and the freeway, which would not be too far from you. I love AJ's.

Old 11-03-2007, 02:23 PM

Thanks for the helpful info.

I meant "not mentioned much" in response to when people have asked about nice areas in Glendale; so thanks for the reassurance! I know Arrowhead is a nice area, but it seems to be the only area recommended in discussions about North Glendale, so was curious about Stetson Valley.

BTW, How far is Arrowhead shopping from Stetson, and how far is downtown Glendale?

Old 11-03-2007, 02:29 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,161,525 times
Arrowhead is just a few miles away, so say about 10 minutes. Downtown Glendale, well that would be about 20 minutes away or more. I don't think many people who live in North Glendale go to downtown glendale much as it's surrounded by poorer areas. It's a quaint little area and definitely check it out during the holidays, but otherwise it's not a place I hear people interested in. There's just not much down there.

We mention Arrowhead the most as it's a Master Planned Community, with lots of subdivisions, shopping and a big mall. Stetson Valley is just much smaller and just now being built. It's just a smaller subdivision, like the rest of them.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:56 AM

Very helpful. Thanks so much!

Old 11-22-2007, 12:09 PM

10 posts, read 34,019 times
Hello Rubee, I've lived in the Arrowhead area for over 16 years now and work in the area (real estate). Stetson Valley is the newest new home development, just seconds North of Arrowhead. I've been through every builders' model. It is a beautiful development, family-oriented, and close to freeways, shopping, and schools. Homes vary in price range and amentities. We have looked to purchase for ourselves. It has probably not been mentioned as frequently because it is such a new area but it is just as nice as the Arrowhead area and its communities.

Old 11-24-2007, 03:56 PM

Thanks, I really appreciate that information!

Old 04-04-2008, 02:51 PM

43 posts, read 156,179 times
We are building a new home in Stetson Valley by Pulte. I would HIGHLY recommend it.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 7,244 times
Default Stetson Valley is the best!

Rubee,

I have lived on Stetson Valley for almost 2 years now and have to tell you it is great! Everything is nice and new, the scenery is beautiful, and you are correct, you can get to Scottsdale in about 30 - 45 minutes. They just finished a brand new Safeway with a US bank inside along with other shops that will open soon just down the street along with all of the shopping at Norterra (I17 & Happy Valley). If you're going west there is Fry's, BOA, and a brand new mini Wal Mart. The I17 is currently under construction, however it is slated to be finished (up to careferee Rd) within the next year. It flows surprisingly well even in peak times, but will be even better when they get it completed!

[mod] realtor advertising [/mod]

Last edited by sablebaby; 12-15-2008 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: advertising is not allowed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area