Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 03:36 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingbuddy View Post
I just called the rental company and asked them a what if question. What if he moves out. They told me that if he went down and removed his name from the lease that I will have to prove that I make 3x the rent in order to remain in the house. Looking for a second job right now. I have people who will help me get by, but I cannot count them on my income, nor my student loans. What a pickle. I am so mad, hurt and upset I can't think. Thank you everyone for your comments.
That is pretty much nonsense. He is responsible for 100% of the lease as are you. This is not a percentage deal.

You do not have to prove anything. You do have to pay the rent. You would prove your ability to afford the place only if you want to get him off the lease. Why would you do that?

Dicker with him to pay a part of his share until the lease runs out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 03:40 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,084,935 times
Quote:
I just called the rental company and asked them a what if question. What if he moves out. They told me that if he went down and removed his name from the lease that I will have to prove that I make 3x the rent in order to remain in the house. Looking for a second job right now. I have people who will help me get by, but I cannot count them on my income, nor my student loans. What a pickle. I am so mad, hurt and upset I can't think. Thank you everyone for your comments.
Line of crap.

He can't get "out" of the lease just by saying so.

Never get legal advice from a rental company.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:44 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,084,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
That is pretty much nonsense. He is responsible for 100% of the lease as are you. This is not a percentage deal.

You do not have to prove anything. You do have to pay the rent. You would prove your ability to afford the place only if you want to get him off the lease. Why would you do that?

Dicker with him to pay a part of his share until the lease runs out.
Sounds like he's been "dickering" a lot lately.

Anyway, he's liable if he signed the lease.

I stated 50% 'cuz it is kind of a 50 - 50 deal.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:07 PM

582 posts, read 1,482,077 times
You could consider renting out a room to help pay the rent.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:28 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,161,310 times
Quote:
I just called the rental company and asked them a what if question.
You knew the correct thing to do from the start. And next time, don't add anyone to the lease agreement.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:53 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
And next time, don't add anyone to the lease agreement.
Actually, it appears that the boyfriend added HER to the lease. She only has a part time job, while he appears to be working full time. But, Based on her PP, I'm gonna guess that neither one of them would financially qualify for the lease alone.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:00 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,161,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Actually, it appears that the boyfriend added HER to the lease. She only has a part time job, while he appears to be working full time. But, Based on her PP, I'm gonna guess that neither one of them would financially qualify for the lease alone.
She said they both "signed on the dotted line." I don't see where he added her name to the lease. Nevertheless, I stand by my advice to not share a lease with anyone . Just my personal preference based upon past experience. YMMV.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:08 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
YOu don't add someone to a lease. What for? Silliness.

If two people sign a lease both are fully responsible for performance to it.

A lease term may require that anyone living there be listed in the lease and approved by the LL - but that does not make them parties to the lease.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:47 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,946,687 times
Maybe you should tell them you want equal treatment, if they took his name off the lease with a simple request point out you want to be treated equally and then ask that your name be removed from the lease as well.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:58 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
If you read the OP, they both "signed on the dotted line" when they moved in. The management company is going to hold them both responsible, and isn't going to take either of their names off just because they ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area