U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-24-2013, 10:13 AM
 
696 posts, read 383,862 times
Reputation: 831

Advertisements

I've been out here almost exactly 2 years too. I'm also a complete desert rat and spend all of my free time outdoors, so this is really the best place I've ever lived for that. I'm finding the job opportunities too limiting though, so, unfortunately I have a feeling I'll be moving out within the next year. I really don't want to do that. Out of all the places I've lived, this is without question my favorite, and I'd really like to settle here. I guess if I have to leave, I can always come back later.

And one of the things I like so much is the ability to bike commute. Not so easy in a lot of places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-24-2013, 04:23 PM
 
270 posts, read 250,883 times
Reputation: 116
Nice! thanks man! I'm going to try it out. I'm in pretty good shape i ride over 100 miles a week not in that weather but ill try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
My commute is about 5 mi each way. I ride year round. Just make sure to stay hydrated and take it easy at first in the summer afternoons. It will get hot in the summer but if you are in shape you can acclimate.

But not in shirt and tie. No matter what I wear I get sweaty. Heck, I get sweaty riding in winter mornings. Instead I bring extra clothes and change at work. Sink bath, towel and deodorant as needed.

You might try the ride on a non work day just to get the feel. Here's a link where you can get a bicycle path map of Maricopa County:

MAG Publications

Just scroll down to the "MAG Regional Bike Map 2013". You can call the number to get a hard copy free or download the pdf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2013, 05:21 PM
 
Location: rock island, illinois
67 posts, read 69,501 times
Reputation: 72
Phoenix is awesome, i used to live in scottsdale and it was pretty cool (alot of racial discrimination towards me tho) but even with that i still liked it because i met alot of cool people there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2013, 09:35 AM
 
Location: In an alternate universe according to some, AKA Aspergers
10,750 posts, read 11,940,191 times
Reputation: 5373
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I've been here forever, and I mean forever and I still find things I love about it. When I travel I always look forward to the return to my Valley of the Sun. Sun just makes you feel good and its good for you. Of course you have skin cancer as an issue but the inside of your body is happy for the extra sunshine.

Richard Weller: Could the sun be good for your heart? | Video on TED.com
[B]For anyone interested they are discovering the sun is also good for your heart, not just because of the vitamin D either. New research by his team shows that nitric oxide, a chemical transmitter stored in huge reserves in the skin, can be released by UV light, to great benefit for blood pressure and the cardiovascular system.[/b]
Unfortunately all the lousy drivers here negate any benefit to your blood pressure or stress levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2013, 09:50 PM
 
241 posts, read 236,460 times
Reputation: 192
I try to get all my friends from back East to visit me all the time LOL I find myself bragging about here and saying I'm from here when I travel even though I have been here for 6 years. I guess when I travel and they ask where are you from, I literally came from Phoenix to there LOL
Not that I don't stand behind being raised in New England, this place just feels more like home in more ways than CT did. Plus my parents are moving here in about 3-4 years in a new home we just bought, so it will REALLY feel more like home. Now, when I go home or travel I find myself missing Phoenix.

I really am sad to meet people who loath this place and go on and on about how much is sucks

I am glad I found a place I love and I honestly could not live somewhere flat, I LOVE the mountains
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2013, 11:23 AM
 
Location: In an alternate universe according to some, AKA Aspergers
10,750 posts, read 11,940,191 times
Reputation: 5373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
I try to get all my friends from back East to visit me all the time LOL I find myself bragging about here and saying I'm from here when I travel even though I have been here for 6 years. I guess when I travel and they ask where are you from, I literally came from Phoenix to there LOL
Not that I don't stand behind being raised in New England, this place just feels more like home in more ways than CT did. Plus my parents are moving here in about 3-4 years in a new home we just bought, so it will REALLY feel more like home. Now, when I go home or travel I find myself missing Phoenix.

I really am sad to meet people who loath this place and go on and on about how much is sucks

I am glad I found a place I love and I honestly could not live somewhere flat, I LOVE the mountains
Just proves the point that there's somewhere for everyone.
We think it sucks but hey, we knew that when we moved here as a temporary pit stop. I learned all about AZ years ago when I lived in Tucson and left swearing never to return. Sometimes life throws you a curve ball and ya just got to deal with it then move on. Can't wait for that day (the move on one) though we're trying to make the best of it while here.

I'm glad that some love this place and found their happiness, it's not always that easy to do. Congrats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2013, 04:14 PM
 
Location: Washington State
1,891 posts, read 908,566 times
Reputation: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Just proves the point that there's somewhere for everyone.
We think it sucks but hey, we knew that when we moved here as a temporary pit stop. I learned all about AZ years ago when I lived in Tucson and left swearing never to return. Sometimes life throws you a curve ball and ya just got to deal with it then move on. Can't wait for that day (the move on one) though we're trying to make the best of it while here.

I'm glad that some love this place and found their happiness, it's not always that easy to do. Congrats!
Just curious where you like better and why?

We live in the Northwest and visit here when we can (as in this weekend) and love the sun and the people seem quite friendly to us. I understand the pay here isn't the best though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2013, 05:19 PM
 
1,702 posts, read 1,549,231 times
Reputation: 1212
I've been on these threads the past couple years advocating Phoenix and appreciate the amenities in the time that I have lived here. However, there are people that just do not appreciate the amenities. Some are coworkers and my wife to a certain degree.Here's what I have heard from different people outside of work when doing my thing here.

Examples:

1) I enjoy trips through the saguaros and up mountains to look at the nature and beauty of the desert. A Negative Nelly would say, "The Saguaros are spooky and those mountains look like piles of dirt."

2) Over 110 can get trying but I can always swim or take an hour trip to higher elevation. Negative Nelly "I'm stuck inside for 5 months of the year."

3) I'm going to hike this weekend . Negative Nelly ,"I'll play Keno at Fort McDowell."

Moral of the story. If you do not appreciate the desert for its uniqueness and live a sedentary lifestyle, you will NOT find it awesome here. Your entertainment will be shopping malls and casinos year around. One can do that in all 50 states nowadays. If you appreciate lower taxes, not having to shovel sunshine, day trips to most beautiful parts of country and deal with a few months of heat knowing 7-8 months are the type of weather everywhere else envies, PHX will be awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2013, 05:26 PM
 
Location: In an alternate universe according to some, AKA Aspergers
10,750 posts, read 11,940,191 times
Reputation: 5373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Just curious where you like better and why?

We live in the Northwest and visit here when we can (as in this weekend) and love the sun and the people seem quite friendly to us. I understand the pay here isn't the best though.
Well, I'd say outside Medford area,Grants Pass or Central Point OR, Gold Run,Strawberry,Pollock Pines CA and certain cities in E. TN. All for different reasons. The sun is great but in doses and the heat, well, take winter out of the mix and it's HOT HOT HOT and did I mention it's HOT?
I'm ok with some rain and cold weather but I and some others I know are not built for unending weather of any kind which is why I left NW Montana and would never live in Portland OR or along the OR or WA coast. NW Montana is truly beautiful and has a wonderful summer but it's all of about 2 1/2 months long then it's back to grey,cold,wet or snow and did I mention cold?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2013, 06:07 PM
 
1,702 posts, read 1,549,231 times
Reputation: 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Well, I'd say outside Medford area,Grants Pass or Central Point OR, Gold Run,Strawberry,Pollock Pines CA and certain cities in E. TN. All for different reasons. The sun is great but in doses and the heat, well, take winter out of the mix and it's HOT HOT HOT and did I mention it's HOT?
I'm ok with some rain and cold weather but I and some others I know are not built for unending weather of any kind which is why I left NW Montana and would never live in Portland OR or along the OR or WA coast. NW Montana is truly beautiful and has a wonderful summer but it's all of about 2 1/2 months long then it's back to grey,cold,wet or snow and did I mention cold?
Sounds like you like 4 seasons without extremes. How about Prescott, Reno or Albuquerque ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:40 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top