Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 09:53 PM

278 posts, read 622,796 times

Advertisements

I have been here over two years and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I just read a post from a New Yorker about why he/she loved Phoenix. So, I decided to say my bit. I love Phoenix because:

1. The weather is awesome. Being from the midwest every year we would have to brave ice storms, tornadoes and snow. Not a fan

2. The geographical features....the mountains, the wide open skies...( think Cole Porter..."Don't Fence Me In".)

3. I love the city and even though there is space everywhere, it feels city-ish even in the burbs of Ahwatukee.

4. The people are amazing...friendly, open and just plain real.

I love Phoenix and am so glad that I moved here. Yes, Kansas City is fantastic with lots of things to do..but hey, no ocean 6 hours away, no skiing a few hours away...and I won't even get into the weather.

So, if you're considering moving here..all I can say is I love it!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 11:35 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,645,239 times
Same here. It's been almost exactly 2 years for me. I couldn't be happier.
I moved from the Oregon coast. Beautiful area but 10 months of rain finally got to me. I needed some sunshine in my life.
I picked the right place "for me".

Old 05-23-2013, 08:02 AM

278 posts, read 546,477 times
I'll be moving myself from NY City pretty soon. The one thing that a big city like this one has that Phoenix doesn't is DISTRACTIONS! I can focus on so many things. Now my only concern is does anyone here commute to work by bike in the summer time? i do here in shirt and tie. I mean what if there's no shower at work? or is this not an option in Phx?

Old 05-23-2013, 09:28 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYorkFeinix View Post
I'll be moving myself from NY City pretty soon. The one thing that a big city like this one has that Phoenix doesn't is DISTRACTIONS! I can focus on so many things. Now my only concern is does anyone here commute to work by bike in the summer time? i do here in shirt and tie. I mean what if there's no shower at work? or is this not an option in Phx?

If there's no shower at work, or you don't have a membership at one of the downtown gyms where you could shower, it's not an option, IMO. Many bike to light rail or express bus stops, if it's a short distance early in the am, put their bike on the bus or train, and go from there.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:28 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,697,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYorkFeinix View Post
One word. Yes. At one of the places I worked, a co-worker would bike from Tempe to Downtown phoenix without the light rail. Make no mistake, it is hot. But he wouldn't commute in business causal attire either.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:44 AM

701 posts, read 1,096,969 times
I bike commute to work in the summer, but I change clothes when I get there. In the early mornings, it isn't too hot on the way in. On the way home when it's 100+, I don't really care how sweaty I get.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:56 AM

I'll do a trial and error and see what happens. hehe

Old 05-23-2013, 11:50 AM

701 posts, read 1,096,969 times
When it's cooler, my commute goes pretty quickly (45-50 minutes each way for 14 miles,) but when it's hot, I take a good 10 minutes longer. On the way in, I'm riding slower because I'm trying to sweat as little as possible, and on the way home, I'm just slower because it's hot.

Invest in insulated water bottles. They're expensive, but well worth it.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:01 PM

Thanks I actually have a couple of the insulated ones. I wouldn't mind the sweating ride home though hahah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden_Monkey View Post
When it's cooler, my commute goes pretty quickly (45-50 minutes each way for 14 miles,) but when it's hot, I take a good 10 minutes longer. On the way in, I'm riding slower because I'm trying to sweat as little as possible, and on the way home, I'm just slower because it's hot.

Invest in insulated water bottles. They're expensive, but well worth it.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:40 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,193,525 times
I'm always struck by the clean and modern-looking freeways in Phoenix. Having lived in southern California for more than half my life, and now in the Midwest the past few years, it's always a welcome change to come to Phoenix ... especially in winter . The desert scenery is awesome with the mountain background. Might need to call it my home when I retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area