Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2013, 06:29 PM

6 posts, read 17,431 times

Advertisements

Hello
New to posting on this forum....... came across another thread about this subject while searching google but it was a few years old so thought I might ask again being that I'm considering getting into this line of work today.

I have years of sales experience but have never worked in the car business before so I am just getting acquainted w/ it via google and trying to get an idea of how it works etc.

I am interested in finding out about any good dealers to work for primarily (anywhere) in the East Valley area.

Mainly would like to find the dealer that might have the best pay 'structure' and one that doesn't have a lot of drama or turnover w/ their employees. Of course, I want to make the most money for my time and bypass those places that are not paying as much, or where salespeople are leaving every 3 weeks.

Also trying to figure out what might offer the best opportunity to make money - domestic or imports?

And any suggestions on what to ask for (or look out for) when starting out in this business here in the Phoenix area?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 11:52 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,684,576 times
Quote:
I have years of sales experience but have never worked in the car business before
Do yourself a big favor and just don't do it. Virtually every single dealership will have a significant amount of turnover and a very similar commission structure. The reason for the turnover is that in because every dealership, you have about 2 or 3 guys making 80% of the sales and the rest fighting over the remaining scraps. I've got a lot of friends who are in the car business and it can be extremely unforgiving if you're just a beginner starting out. Ultimately you need to get enough ups to develop a steady paycheck and then build a base of referral's, but its daunting when you see a couple established guys selling 20-40 cars each month and majority of the other guys are selling 5-10 but that's the reality of the business, well pretty much any sales operation will have a small percentage getting the majority of the sales.

If you're dead set on doing it, choose an established ownership group, such as Berge or Earnhardt, go talk to one of their dealerships and see if they can get you in the door. However if you don't start moving cars fairly soon, don't be surprised if they show you to the door shortly after, the swift hook that was always around in the car industry has gotten a lot swifter since the economy fell apart.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:41 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
I am not in the car business and never have been.
Just an amateur enthusiast.
I did pick up a copy of Automotive News in a car dealership over 30 years ago and I have subscribed ever since.

There was an article about 10 years ago about an elderly retired car salesman who was doing seminars all over the country for a fee. He was a car salesman and did win awards for selling the most cars.
Anyway, in the seminar he claimed that he could sell a car to anyone who walked in the sales door of any dealership. The article went on to state that one of the participants asked him to prove it and come to his dealership - to prove it.
He did. And every person that walked into the sales room of that dealership that day - he sold a car.
Just an article in Automotive News. I have no way to prove any of this.
Did this seminar person know which day of the month is easier to sell cars? Was this in a fully employed community?
It was just an article in Automotive News that I read. Written by a staff writer for Automotive News.

Most auto car salesmen that I have met are just average people trying to make a living.
Some/few though did have an amazing personality. Somehow these folks have a knack to make you believe that they are and will be your best friend forever. I'm not sure if you can learn this.

There are so many variables in selling cars. Appraisals of trade ins sometimes require two managers to approve. A manager may like some salesmen more then others. Just a lot of variables. Monthly quotas. And on and on.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Do yourself a big favor and just don't do it. Virtually every single dealership will have a significant amount of turnover and a very similar commission structure. The reason for the turnover is that in because every dealership, you have about 2 or 3 guys making 80% of the sales and the rest fighting over the remaining scraps. I've got a lot of friends who are in the car business and it can be extremely unforgiving if you're just a beginner starting out. Ultimately you need to get enough ups to develop a steady paycheck and then build a base of referral's, but its daunting when you see a couple established guys selling 20-40 cars each month and majority of the other guys are selling 5-10 but that's the reality of the business, well pretty much any sales operation will have a small percentage getting the majority of the sales.

If you're dead set on doing it, choose an established ownership group, such as Berge or Earnhardt, go talk to one of their dealerships and see if they can get you in the door. However if you don't start moving cars fairly soon, don't be surprised if they show you to the door shortly after, the swift hook that was always around in the car industry has gotten a lot swifter since the economy fell apart.

Hmmm, thats interesting. Makes sense from a business perspective (or from the dealers perspective). I am not too worried about (not) making sales - I am a sales professional and have always excelled in whatever sales 'arena' I may have found myself in - not bragging but true. The main thing I am really concerned with is starting out getting the best deal. Hate the thought of getting started somewhere, establishing 'relationships' then find out that I may be getting a bad overall deal (commission, benies, etc).

Mainly trying to feel my way around I certainly appreciate your input on this as to what it's really like here in Phoenix w/ some of your buddies etc.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
I did pick up a copy of Automotive News in a car dealership over 30 years ago and I have subscribed ever since.

There was an article about 10 years ago about an elderly retired car salesman who was doing seminars all over the country for a fee. He was a car salesman and did win awards for selling the most cars.
Anyway, in the seminar he claimed that he could sell a car to anyone who walked in the sales door of any dealership. The article went on to state that one of the participants asked him to prove it and come to his dealership - to prove it.

He did. And every person that walked into the sales room of that dealership that day - he sold a car.
Did this seminar person know which day of the month is easier to sell cars? Was this in a fully employed community?
It was just an article in Automotive News that I read. Written by a staff writer for Automotive News.

Most auto car salesmen that I have met are just average people trying to make a living.
Some/few though did have an amazing personality. Somehow these folks have a knack to make you believe that they are and will be your best friend forever. I'm not sure if you can learn this.

There are so many variables in selling cars. Appraisals of trade ins sometimes require two managers to approve. A manager may like some salesmen more then others. Just a lot of variables. Monthly quotas. And on and on.

Joe Girard. Car sales legend, sold like 1000 cars a year for 15 years. He wrote a couple books on his experiences, mostly his sales approach came down to being EXTREMELY personable and then going way above and beyond what the usual car salesperson does in terms of follow-up after the sale, hitting previous customers up for references and so on and on.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castelli52 View Post
Hmmm, thats interesting. Makes sense from a business perspective (or from the dealers perspective). I am not too worried about (not) making sales - I am a sales professional and have always excelled in whatever sales 'arena' I may have found myself in - not bragging but true. The main thing I am really concerned with is starting out getting the best deal. Hate the thought of getting started somewhere, establishing 'relationships' then find out that I may be getting a bad overall deal (commission, benies, etc).

Mainly trying to feel my way around I certainly appreciate your input on this as to what it's really like here in Phoenix w/ some of your buddies etc.

You're pretty much looking at the same deal/same sorts of benefitsC at any mainline dealership. Commission is relatively similar, a lot of it has to do with the location of the business, the surrounding community and clientele..etc.

My recommendation would be to head down Pecos, between Cooper and Val Vista, there's about 6 or 7 dealerships in that area. The surrounding area includes a lot of middle-class/upper middle class living communities, Sun Lakes isn't too far away...etc, it'd be a good place to start in the East Valley. Among the dealerships you have Toyota, Honda, Nissan and Volkswagen there.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post

Unit731
I hear you about the personalities of some sales people.

The good ones aren't putting on an act when they make you feel like you can be friends forever. For me I always appreciate the customer - because its a 2 way street. I bring to them goods/services that they are looking for and they bring to me what I am looking for - helping me to reach my goals. Personally, I feel a debt of gratitude to the customer for giving me the opportunity to make a sale and I will go the extra mile for them in return. That's simply giving good customer service.

Last edited by Castelli52; 05-28-2013 at 05:02 PM..

Old 08-11-2014, 03:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,677 times
I'm In the business- if you have kids to put through college work for Larry h miller- they'll put them through all four years- after you've been with the company two years, and they train. I recommend Toyota. Honda is also good, as well as Chrysler/jeep or dodge as their sales are going up and up... Luxury vehicles, expect to sell much less so if you don't like fiddling your thumbs stick with the brands everyone can afford... If you want a real "hustle and grind" then go to Peoria ford thy sell like maniacs and they sell A LOT of cars. It's a VT store so expect to feel like your micromanaged. If you can get in with Penske or autonation you're good to go as well. Hope that helped.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:09 PM

4,068 posts, read 5,139,473 times
Are you limiting yourself to cars? I know there are some Telecommunications companies in the valley that are hiring...check out CenturyLink, Level 3, Limelight to name a few.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:53 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
I have no knowledge of this industry, but as a customer, I really like Lexus. I don't own a Lexus, but I really enjoyed the sales experience at Lexus. They were sincere, down-to-earth and most importantly not pushy. I also hear their service dept. is amazing. I ultimately didn't purchase a Lexus because I didn't really love any of their cars, but the sales experience was so positive, that I considered buying one. I've shopped other luxury dealerships and it was not a positive experience. A lot of luxury dealers act entitled and provide the impression that you are lucky to be in their showroom. If I'm spending that much money, it should be the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area