Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 06:47 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunluv View Post
It's always hot in June; the highest temps are mid June until the monsoon starts. The temps now are about average and should rise the next few weeks and aren't indicative of an early monsoon.

It usually starts 1st-2nd week of July.

Technically it's monsoon but it's so mild here that the humidity and late afternoon/evening pattern of storms aren't much different than standard summer weather in much of the country.
I am surprised by the triple digit excessive heat warning weather already and I've lived here 40 years and some. End of June early July is when I'm use to seeing the hottest days. IMO. Not the first weeks of June. I usually expect 104, 105, not 110, 111.

I guess we've been getting a big warmer, earlier though. They changed our averages recently. The old folk saying is "hot June, early monsoon, cool June, won't come to soon." lol Yes, I'm old. That's how us old folks forecast the weather.

Funny, I realize we make a hoopla out of monsoon but when you through a pebble into still water it's nice to see a ripple or two, even a small one. Something to look forward to. IMO, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 09:24 AM

687 posts, read 4,405,012 times
Although we have some monsoon weather in Vegas, I've heard the Phoenix monsoon is worse. I may have to take a trip down there in July or August and see what it's really like!

Old 06-06-2013, 09:40 AM

567 posts, read 787,644 times
It doesn't have anything to do with the high temps, Poppy. It's all about the flow of moisture that comes in from Mexico.
I was going to say July 3rd, but I think I'm going to go with July 7th.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:31 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,134,209 times
I am afraid it will come late this year, my guess is the end of July. I much prefer the humidity because it keeps a lid on the intense daytime temperatures and it doesn't burn or harm my plants and trees as much. As a matter of fact, they like the humidity....but the wicked dry heat of June and July are brutal.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:31 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I agree, it's the only real shift in weather we get. I enjoy it. I'm a long timer here and I guess I'm stuck with the old mind set of the monsoon doesn't really start until the first 3 days of humidity rises. I realize we have a new "monsoon season" now but I still go by the dew point markers.
I figure it the same way you do...by dew point markers. I figure the first week in July but can never predict an exact date. Being a native, who has spent more years in AZ than anywhere else, I've just accepted the vagaries of the weather, year round. I don't bother griping about it, it just is what it is. I am happy that I don't live in the Valley though. We may not be a whole lot cooler up here in the Verde Valley but sometimes 10 degrees makes a big difference.

I have always loved the Monsoon season here. I love the smell of the hot desert after the rain, the rainbows and the incredible sunsets. As kids we often didn't even go in the house when the rains started...unless it was really thundering and lightning. We had some really huge Mesquite trees that did a good job of keeping the rain off. They are long gone now.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:17 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaMom View Post
It doesn't have anything to do with the high temps, Poppy. It's all about the flow of moisture that comes in from Mexico.
I was going to say July 3rd, but I think I'm going to go with July 7th.
It certainly does. Old weather guys will tell you that the monsoon will not come unless we get three straight days over 110 (probably 115 these days). The rising heated air creates a thermal low pressure that draws moisture to the north and west around the "four corners high" that acts as the engine to move it all over the mountains, cooling it and leading to t-storms. Early formation and persistence of the four corners high could very well mean an early monsoon. A couple days of it, followed by weakening and drifting like we are now seeing is not indicative though. There are some other things to look for too, like the Bermuda high strength and the seasonal high over Texas drifting to the west.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I figure it the same way you do...by dew point markers. I figure the first week in July but can never predict an exact date. Being a native, who has spent more years in AZ than anywhere else, I've just accepted the vagaries of the weather, year round. I don't bother griping about it, it just is what it is. I am happy that I don't live in the Valley though. We may not be a whole lot cooler up here in the Verde Valley but sometimes 10 degrees makes a big difference.

I have always loved the Monsoon season here. I love the smell of the hot desert after the rain, the rainbows and the incredible sunsets. As kids we often didn't even go in the house when the rains started...unless it was really thundering and lightning. We had some really huge Mesquite trees that did a good job of keeping the rain off. They are long gone now.
It's nice to see a long timer use to that. I remember the weather man getting hyped up because of the dew point so he could officially announce the start of the monsoon.

Verde Valley is wonderful and the elevation makes enough of a difference. I love the smell after a good desert rain as well. Nothing beats it! IMO, of course.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It certainly does. Old weather guys will tell you that the monsoon will not come unless we get three straight days over 110 (probably 115 these days). The rising heated air creates a thermal low pressure that draws moisture to the north and west around the "four corners high" that acts as the engine to move it all over the mountains, cooling it and leading to t-storms. Early formation and persistence of the four corners high could very well mean an early monsoon. A couple days of it, followed by weakening and drifting like we are now seeing is not indicative though. There are some other things to look for too, like the Bermuda high strength and the seasonal high over Texas drifting to the west.
Nice to know there is some truth in that old saying. Thanks Ponderosa! My mom said it so much to us as kids whenever June is hotter than usual I start to think of an early monsoonal storm ahead. Doesn't always pan out though.

I do notice the weather isn't consistently high right now, just a shot or two of what's around the corner. I did see a bit of cloud grouping the other day and then it disappeared.

I like to have fun with predictions but I'm rarely on target.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:08 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
It's nice to see a long timer use to that. I remember the weather man getting hyped up because of the dew point so he could officially announce the start of the monsoon.

Verde Valley is wonderful and the elevation makes enough of a difference. I love the smell after a good desert rain as well. Nothing beats it! IMO, of course.
Weather people get hyped over anything that doesn't include "sunny, cold/warm/hot". lol Our weather is pretty consistant I think. I always look forward to the Monsoons but, I swear, they are nothing like they "used to be". Either that or I forget, from year to year, just how it was.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Weather people get hyped over anything that doesn't include "sunny, cold/warm/hot". lol Our weather is pretty consistant I think. I always look forward to the Monsoons but, I swear, they are nothing like they "used to be". Either that or I forget, from year to year, just how it was.
Same with me. I tend to remember these great storms and the streets flooding. It's a wonderful memory, I'm not sure if it's correct or not but I like it. And I keep looking forward to it. ha ha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area