U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-08-2013, 10:31 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,776 posts, read 10,511,451 times
Reputation: 11428

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Same with me. I tend to remember these great storms and the streets flooding. It's a wonderful memory, I'm not sure if it's correct or not but I like it. And I keep looking forward to it. ha ha
We don't have long to wait now! Three weeks or so?? It does seem like they always start right around the first week of July. At work we have bets going when the first storm will be. lol

Sitting here, trying to remember the last time I remember flooding in Phoenix. I am really unsure of the year but I took my brother down for a doctors appt. and it was just about downtown. 1989 maybe? The streets were flooded halfway up my tires! That doesn't happen very often. Probably more down around Tucson than Phoenix. Tucson gets the kind of Monsoon rains I remember up here!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-08-2013, 11:54 PM
 
Location: USA
3,966 posts, read 9,848,093 times
Reputation: 2216
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
We don't have long to wait now! Three weeks or so?? It does seem like they always start right around the first week of July. At work we have bets going when the first storm will be. lol

Sitting here, trying to remember the last time I remember flooding in Phoenix. I am really unsure of the year but I took my brother down for a doctors appt. and it was just about downtown. 1989 maybe? The streets were flooded halfway up my tires! That doesn't happen very often. Probably more down around Tucson than Phoenix. Tucson gets the kind of Monsoon rains I remember up here!
Tempe had the flooding you described back in 2008.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/t...total0714.html

I am going to guess July.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2013, 12:19 AM
 
2,306 posts, read 4,033,854 times
Reputation: 1947
I remember heavy rain and temps in the 80's on the 4th of July last year which according to longtimers is very rare. As others have said, I believe around the 4th of July is when we'll get some action.

Yep. My memory was right.

http://www.azfamily.com/news/Coolest...161373075.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2013, 10:36 PM
 
Location: Sonoran Desert
34,048 posts, read 43,787,282 times
Reputation: 23064
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
I remember heavy rain and temps in the 80's on the 4th of July last year which according to longtimers is very rare. As others have said, I believe around the 4th of July is when we'll get some action.

Yep. My memory was right.

Photos: Coolest July 4th for Phoenix in 100 years; Flooding in Casa Grande | azfamily.com Phoenix
Yeah it was awesome last year. We were at Lake Pleasant to watch fireworks and it was actually cool sweater weather by the time it got underway. Never before and never again, I am afraid.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2013, 10:36 AM
 
Location: Hyrule
8,390 posts, read 10,498,663 times
Reputation: 7485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Yeah it was awesome last year. We were at Lake Pleasant to watch fireworks and it was actually cool sweater weather by the time it got underway. Never before and never again, I am afraid.
I remember that. I love it when those few days pop up randomly feeling like I'm actually in Prescott and not Phoenix. lol Cool summer temp, the smell of the rain that just poured down. Ahhhhh,,,,,,,,,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2013, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,776 posts, read 10,511,451 times
Reputation: 11428
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
Tempe had the flooding you described back in 2008.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/t...total0714.html

I am going to guess July.
I remember one in Tempe too, in 1978. I remember not being able to cross the bridge to get to work.

Good guess...July. lol Heard on the weather this morning that the Monsoons officially start next week. Seems too soon to me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2013, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Tempe, AZ
1,484 posts, read 2,754,995 times
Reputation: 2370
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I remember one in Tempe too, in 1978. I remember not being able to cross the bridge to get to work.

Good guess...July. lol Heard on the weather this morning that the Monsoons officially start next week. Seems too soon to me.
Just to clarify the monsoon is a season. The thunderstorms, blow-dust, etc...are a byproduct of this season. The old start to the season use to be determined by three consecutive days where the dew point was 55 and higher. They recently (five years ago) changed it to a solid start date....June 15th. This change was for safety and awareness reasons.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:34 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top