Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 03:39 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz451 View Post
FWIW, a couple Michigan people I know hate the water here - so maybe it's a Michigan thing . I grew up drinking it and think it's much better than many cities. But I have a Brita filter in the fridge mostly because I prefer cold water without ice and my fridge water dispenser tastes a little weird.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
I LOVE the tap water in Metro Detroit. When I go home, I go straight to my mom's kitchen sink and drink right out of the tap. She loves it. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 07:07 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,699,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnMan View Post
I'm moving out that way as soon as I can. I got my house on the market back east here and anxious to get out there and get started in a new position with my company. We're trying to ditch as many belongjngs as we can so we're not doing a Beverly Hillbillies across the country. Back my way we're on well water and even with a conditioning systemijn the house we still use a aater cooler with bottled water for drinking. Any reason to lug it cross county or is the public water supply pretty good around Phoenix?
By itself, the taste and smell is pretty bad. It doesn't matter if it's summer or winter. Mix of over chlorination heavy minerals make the taste

If mixed in with another drink, cooked, chilled, or filtered, it isn't bad. We buy water out of those dispensers. But another thought came in the back of my head. A couple years ago when I was living in Scottsdale randomly the news would state not to drink out of the tap as there was something wrong with it. To only drink it if it went thought reverse osmosis or boiled. How often does that happen I wonder.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:27 PM

57 posts, read 172,764 times
We just bought a house in Goodyear (Estrella Mountain), and the water here tastes soapy. We have a water softener (don't know if the kitchen sink is on the softener loop, but that's the only sink I usually drink out of), but no RO. Seriously thinking about buying an RO system; what's best? I saw that Home Depot had some under-sink GE systems, and some by the brand Watts Premier (also at Costco), but I have no idea if going with one of those or calling some pro is better. Any suggestions?

Old 06-17-2013, 09:33 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnorth View Post
We just bought a house in Goodyear (Estrella Mountain), and the water here tastes soapy. We have a water softener (don't know if the kitchen sink is on the softener loop, but that's the only sink I usually drink out of), but no RO. Seriously thinking about buying an RO system; what's best? I saw that Home Depot had some under-sink GE systems, and some by the brand Watts Premier (also at Costco), but I have no idea if going with one of those or calling some pro is better. Any suggestions?
Just get a cheap five stage but make sure you can replace the RO membrane and filters when needed. Some allow you to change the filters but the membrane is sealed and you have to replace the entire unit when that finally goes bad. However, the whole units are so cheap now it might be just as cheap to change the entire unit as it would be to change the membrane. When we put ours in five years ago it was cheaper to change the membrane then it was to replace the whole unit but that may no longer be the case.

No need to spend a bunch of money or hire a pro to get some special RO unit as the cheap ones will do everything you need.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:01 AM

My RO system cost $300 and the water tastes great now.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
My RO system cost $300 and the water tastes great now.
Was that installed? Five years ago we paid a guy $380 for the unit, installation, a second storage tank by the refrigerator and an upgraded faucet for the filtered water.

If you're handy and can install it yourself the one Costco sells is $149.99 and is exactly what the OP needs with replaceable five stage filters and a replaceable membrane.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Was that installed? Five years ago we paid a guy $380 for the unit, installation, a second storage tank by the refrigerator and an upgraded faucet for the filtered water.

If you're handy and can install it yourself the one Costco sells is $149.99 and is exactly what the OP needs with replaceable five stage filters and a replaceable membrane.
No, I did the install. I'm not very handy and it was really easy. Here is the unit:

Shop Krystal Pure KR10 Reverse Osmosis Under Sink Water Filtration System at Lowes.com

I guess I paid less than that. I actually had a 10% off coupon so I paid $198. Sorry for the confusion. I honestly am not sure if it's good or junk but it had good reviews, was relatively cheap and the water tastes MUCH better.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
No, I did the install. I'm not very handy and it was really easy. Here is the unit:

Shop Krystal Pure KR10 Reverse Osmosis Under Sink Water Filtration System at Lowes.com

I guess I paid less than that. I actually had a 10% off coupon so I paid $198. Sorry for the confusion. I honestly am not sure if it's good or junk but it had good reviews, was relatively cheap and the water tastes MUCH better.
That looks to be a four stage unit, is there a post carbon filter with it also? Ours has a coconut shell carbon filter element after it goes through the RO membrane to remove any odors or taste before it comes out of the tap. Does yours have that?

Old 06-17-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
That looks to be a four stage unit, is there a post carbon filter with it also? Ours has a coconut shell carbon filter element after it goes through the RO membrane to remove any odors or taste before it comes out of the tap. Does yours have that?
I believe so. It says this in the specs:

Filter Use Pre-Sediment and pre and post carbon

Old 06-17-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I believe so. It says this in the specs:

Filter Use Pre-Sediment and pre and post carbon
Most of them have a pre sediment, two seperate pre carbon filters, the RO membrane, the tank and then another finishing carbon filter to remove any odor or taste from the tank right before it comes out the faucet. Can't tell how that one at lowes works but anything will make the tap water taste better than without.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area