Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 09:59 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times

Advertisements

I like it. I always found it annoying that they trained in Flagstaff. It just seemed like a PR move like the Dbacks being in Tucson for Spring Training. After a while, they came to their senses and move their camps where they should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 10:02 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,508,090 times
Glendale's apparently too busy violating open meeting laws to concern themselves with building the Cardinals a parking garage.

And those old buildings have, to my knowledge, been renovated significantly in the past few years (the Skydome, in particular...it's not a great facility, but the upgrades make it better than what it was before). I don't want to delve too much into a battle of he said/she said, but when I was doing work for my masters degree, I spent a significant portion of time on South Campus during the summer and the Cards (as well as the media) had carte blanche to the entire area once training camp started. I couldn't even get into my building (SBS) because the lower floors were being used by the coaches...

Old 06-11-2013, 10:23 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,684,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It's indoors.

Well that's really sucky. Who does that? :P Sorry, just a snobby purist who grew up heading to outdoor training camp year in and year out when I lived in California.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:05 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Personally, I don't like it. I'm what's affectionately known as a "sunbird" ... which, unlike a snowbird who escapes the snow & cold weather for a warmer winter location, I escape Phoenix's heat & intense sun for cooler locations during the summer months. The Flagstaff area is one of my retreats, usually around the end of July or early August. One of my favorite activities while in Flagstaff is to watch the Cardinals practice games outside at NAU. Temps are usually in the 70s and sometimes there's a hint of rain or thunderstorms in the air. The weather couldn't be more perfect!

The way I see it, Flagstaff is losing a HUGE asset to their summer economy, and this will have a devastating effect on their city coffers in a negative way. Other than being the "Gateway to the Grand Canyon" and the summer home to the Cardinals, what else does Flagstaff really have to offer as far as activities? Flagstaff is a small city with very little as far as industry or entertainment ... and it's heavily reliant on the Cards, which is now taken away from them. Not a very wise move in my opinion.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:23 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,713,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Personally, I don't like it. I'm what's affectionately known as a "sunbird" ... which, unlike a snowbird who escapes the snow & cold weather for a warmer winter location, I escape Phoenix's heat & intense sun for cooler locations during the summer months. The Flagstaff area is one of my retreats, usually around the end of July or early August. One of my favorite activities while in Flagstaff is to watch the Cardinals practice games outside at NAU. Temps are usually in the 70s and sometimes there's a hint of rain or thunderstorms in the air. The weather couldn't be more perfect!

The way I see it, Flagstaff is losing a HUGE asset to their summer economy, and this will have a devastating effect on their city coffers in a negative way. Other than being the "Gateway to the Grand Canyon" and the summer home to the Cardinals, what else does Flagstaff really have to offer as far as activities? Flagstaff is a small city with very little as far as industry or entertainment ... and it's heavily reliant on the Cards, which is now taken away from them. Not a very wise move in my opinion.
As I stated, I feel the same way for the same reasons. A convenient reason to take a break from the heat for a day at 7000 feet elevation. The history in Flagstaff goes way back. My first time here , I spent a week in Scottsdale in August of 1991. Sure enough, the Cards had camp at NAU even back then just after arriving from St Louis. Although the Jets stink, it was well known back in 2009 that Rex Ryan's decision to move training camp 3 hours from NYC to Cortland,NY gave the players a needed break from "same old routine" and the "bond and comradery" resulted in a couple good seasons by the Jets standards. Again, there is a reason why so many teams hold training camps a few hours away.

As it is, this team is NOT regionalized at all. All Cowboys and Broncos fans in NM. Mostly Broncos in Utah. Nevada and So Cal don't root either for the Cardinals. It is important that we try to make the most of smaller markets within the state IMO. There is money in Flagstaff since the city as we all know has no middle class to speak of.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:22 AM

233 posts, read 257,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Again, there is a reason why so many teams hold training camps a few hours away.
Actually, it's just the opposite. More teams are moving closer to home. There are only a handful of teams that train more than an hour away from home. In fact, the Eagles just announced that they are abandoning Lehigh University this season to have training camp in Philly. I've been a diehard fan for years and I might actually get to see camp this year. I was hardly ever able to make it to Flagstaff, so it's not a big loss for me.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:27 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
Idiotic, IMO.

They had one of the best training sites in the league and one that is one of the most heavily attended (despite the team being for the most part uncompetative)

Instead they are going to a facility that isn't meant for training .... but they worked themselves into a stupid corner

If they wanted to build a full inside/outside practice facility in Tempe (i only say tempe because that is where their current facilities are) and have is setup camp then that would be one thing

Using the main stadium in Glendale is a bit of a joke

Old 06-12-2013, 10:27 AM

39,074 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
As I stated, I feel the same way for the same reasons. A convenient reason to take a break from the heat for a day at 7000 feet elevation. The history in Flagstaff goes way back. My first time here , I spent a week in Scottsdale in August of 1991. Sure enough, the Cards had camp at NAU even back then just after arriving from St Louis. Although the Jets stink, it was well known back in 2009 that Rex Ryan's decision to move training camp 3 hours from NYC to Cortland,NY gave the players a needed break from "same old routine" and the "bond and comradery" resulted in a couple good seasons by the Jets standards. Again, there is a reason why so many teams hold training camps a few hours away.

As it is, this team is NOT regionalized at all. All Cowboys and Broncos fans in NM. Mostly Broncos in Utah. Nevada and So Cal don't root either for the Cardinals. It is important that we try to make the most of smaller markets within the state IMO. There is money in Flagstaff since the city as we all know has no middle class to speak of.
I think winning would matter more than where training camp is held. And as long as they are coming home, they should change the name back to "Phoenix Cardinals". The city needs more identity. Neither the Broncos nor the Cowboys in your example are hurt by having the city where they play (sort of) in the name instead of the state.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:35 AM

39,074 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Well that's really sucky. Who does that? :P Sorry, just a snobby purist who grew up heading to outdoor training camp year in and year out when I lived in California.
A few weeks ago when they were talking about this there was a proposal to use the Glendale Youth Sports Complex which is next to the stadium. There were going to put up an inflated tent dome on the fields. I don't know if that is still in the works. I think not as the announcement said all practice would be a UOP. There was a brief overlap conflict with the kids teams that was the issue, but on the other hand, it would have been nice for the kids (and parents!) to have air conditioned fields for the Pop Warner leagues.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:57 AM

1,533 posts, read 1,591,427 times
I think this might affect the team more than they realize. Living together, eating together and being away from family during training camp allows them to focus on the game. I think there will be too much outside distractions that might affect them and their focus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area