Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 10:17 PM

606 posts, read 1,606,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneylightning View Post
Thanks Ponderosa, I should have been clearer. Yes, we're looking at Goodyear. They do offer excellent home prices, and you'd never know by looking they're lower income homes, they're beautiful.
Ah, disregard what I said about "Estrella" above. I thought you meant the Estrella Urban Village in Phoenix; not the community in Goodyear.

In that case, Estrella (in Goodyear) would probably by the "nicest" of the three.

I personally agree with DJ that I would choose South Mountain, just due to its closer proximity to so many things, but I realize that we are in the minority with that viewpoint.

To be quite honest with you, most Caucasians would consider the South Mountain area and the majority of the Estrella Urban Village (in Phoenix) the "G" word. It's really not that bad in reality, but I figured I ought to tell you since no one else has yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 10:20 PM

310 posts, read 1,160,528 times
I used to live in Laveen, now I live in Goodyear, not in Estrella Mountain Ranch, but very close. You do not want to live in Laveen, I learned my lesson the hard way. While my personal home was never broken into or vandalized, my neighbor behind me came home to spray painting all over his house, with it broken into. The shopping plaza at 51st and Baseline is not a place I would venture to after dark.

Goodyear as a whole is family friendly, I have many friends that live in EMR, there are lots of community activities, the community pool is nice, and tons of walking trails around the lake. Very safe community.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:42 PM

68 posts, read 83,386 times
The radio station is located on 3rd street..85004. Proximity to services and shopping I'd sacrifice if the drive is a bit longer for a nicer area, for sure. Walking trails and lake are important, nightgirl, thanks for that. Don't want to sound like a broken record, but thanks everyone. The help I've been getting here has made many decisions much easier, as I said earlier, I think the people of Phoenix are among the very best I've met. EMR is where I'll focus more, providing it's not to far from 3rd street. My wife, an IT Director, we're assuming will be working somewhere in the downtown vicinity. Right now, we both commute 25 minutes one way, so commuting isn't a big deal. What would the commute from EMR into downtown be roughly?

Old 06-12-2013, 11:03 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
There's a reason prices are lower out there. It's WAY out there. I'm sure it's nice, just isolated. Just be aware that you are looking on the far outskirts of the valley. There's nothing wrong with that, but don't assume the low prices are without compromise. I'd want to look at a more central location but that's me.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:22 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,765,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Waiboi View Post
Ah, disregard what I said about "Estrella" above. I thought you meant the Estrella Urban Village in Phoenix; not the community in Goodyear.

In that case, Estrella (in Goodyear) would probably by the "nicest" of the three.

I personally agree with DJ that I would choose South Mountain, just due to its closer proximity to so many things, but I realize that we are in the minority with that viewpoint.

To be quite honest with you, most Caucasians would consider the South Mountain area and the majority of the Estrella Urban Village (in Phoenix) the "G" word. It's really not that bad in reality, but I figured I ought to tell you since no one else has yet.
This caucasian knows a lot about South Phoenix I grew up there and lost a cousin and friends to gang violence. Sure they built some new houses along Baseline but that doesn't take away the fact that less than a mile away you are in the hood which is run by gangs. If you enjoy going to sleep with the sound of gunfire I'm sure you will enjoy the area. Laveen is a newer area I know a few people that live there. A lot moved from South Phoenix to there for the cheap housing to get away from the violence. Estrella too far away for me to be bothered about that exurb.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:35 PM

68 posts, read 83,386 times
Thanks D..Thanks Loco. I'm assuming Estrella-Laveen-EMR- are north of Phoenix? Assuming these areas are close to each other, can anybody give an estimate of distance into Phoenix?

Old 06-13-2013, 12:13 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,978,984 times
Estrella Mountain Ranch is a part of the city of Goodyear and it is west of Phoenix (far south west to be exact). Laveen is Phoenix it's not really considered its own city and it's just southwest of downtown Phoenix (you can see the downtown skyline from Laveen...good view actually). EMR will be a good 30-45 commute to your job depending on traffic on I10 and the time it takes to get to the freeway from EMR. Laveen is only 15 min-20min from your job 30min at the most depending how far south and west in Laveen you live.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:00 AM

310 posts, read 1,160,528 times
Commute time from EMR to town can vary depending on time of day. At rush hour you are looking at 45 min to a hour...easily....That's just once you get on the freeway

Off peak travel times, you can make it from I 10 into town in about 20-25 minutes, remember of course that EMR is a good ten minute drive off the freeway at the northern part of the subdivision and further depending on how far back into the complex your house is.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:48 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneylightning View Post
Thanks Ponderosa, I should have been clearer. Yes, we're looking at Goodyear. They do offer excellent home prices, and you'd never know by looking they're lower income homes, they're beautiful.
LOL. Estrella is NOT lower income. It is a very tony, upscale development of upper middle and higher income people who drive Hummers with spoiled kids. The median family income in Estrella is over 100K and it is one of the highest in the entire metro area. The houses are not cheap either. The median price is over 100/sf. There are a few "deals" left from recession, but very few.

People live in Estrella because it is isolated from the Phoenix area. The air is clean, there is no traffic. It feels like a small town as much as a place can around here. People who have been here a long time like me can not go to the grocery store without running into friends and acquaintances. It is nothing like Laveen. More like upscale parts of Chandler and the custom homes on the hillsides are like north Scottsdale. You will have to drive. The isolation we seek means windshield time. But as Roger427 says once you get here you will see why many people here would never live anywhere else in the metro.

Again, just to be sure, I am talking about the Estrella master planned community which, on a map, you will find south of the Gila River along Estrella Parkway. It is, in no way, related to the Estrella Village planning area in the city of Phoenix.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 06-13-2013 at 07:57 AM..

Old 06-13-2013, 09:56 AM

211 posts, read 544,044 times
Have u seen this new development. I'm looking to head to Az soon to see it.

Homes in Goodyear for Sale: Las Brisas Expedition Collection Real Estate from Taylor Morrison
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area