Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2006, 06:01 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,262,305 times

Advertisements

Since the response to my question regarding the weather was so good, and given that I just spent 2 hours trying to get home (26 miles) because of a light rain (no accidents- just rain), I figured Phoenix traffic would be a good next topic.

I've seen posts here calling Phoenix traffic "horrible", and talking about commutes that are "over 45 minutes" (heaven forbid....lol...that's a short commute here in NJ...). Of course, everything is relative, and a 45 minute commute means nothing without some idea of the distance traveled, whether it's on the highway or local streets, etc.

What I'd like to find out is this- what's your commute time, what's the route like, where are you starting and ending, and what times are you traveling. Responses that are descriptive like the one I'm going to set out for my own commute would be perfect.

My commute is 26 miles- 3 miles of local road (4 traffic signals) to get to the highway, 22 miles on a 3-lane highway, and slightly less that 1 mile off the highway to the office (1 light). I leave the house at around 5:45 am, and the ride is just under 30 minutes. If I was to leave the house anytime from 6:30 to around 8:30 am, that same trip would be at least 1 hour, and likely 1:15 on most days. In the afternoon, if I leave by 4:30, the ride is approximately 45 minutes. If I leave between 5:00 and 6:30, the same ride is more like 1:15 to 1:30. If it rains, the ride is a minimum 1:30 to 2:00, and if it snows, I don't bother driving in, because the ride is easily 3-4 hours each way.

We're looking at moving to the Chandler/Gilbert/Ahwatukee area, but I'm not sure where I'd be working. Therefore, commutes starting in those areas would be most helpful, but it would be great to get a feel for commute times in general as well.

Thanks,

Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2006, 06:19 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,617,317 times
My husband commutes all over we live in Mesa right now we are moving to Chandler in a couple of weeks so his commute will get easier to where his jobs are., we used to live in DC and no matter what they say it isnt as bad as that place. It took him at 5pm in the afternoon 35 minutes to go from Glendale to mesa, he hasnt had any real problems yet, certain roads do get backed up though, he has learned when to get off and go another route and you will too, when it rains though watch out!!!!

Old 10-11-2006, 06:33 PM

38,945 posts, read 50,850,868 times
Everyone leaves early around here. The worst is well over by 8am, so if you can find a job where you start at 9 you will do better.

But anyway, the typical commute out of Ahwatukee is: pretty good through your subdivision and down six lane arterial streets to the freeway. At the freeway you wait in line 5 minutes or more for your turn on the metered green that lets you out onto the freeway. You speed up to 40 and back down to zero and back up to 40 until your exit. Then you move along another arterial where you get every red light and sometimes two. The average commute time is 40-45 minutes and probably 20-25 miles. Traffic generally moves, albeit slowly. You sort of get used to it. The lane jumpers and aggressive a***holes get on your nerves and this place has a lot of them. Worst time is accidents. Everyone has to have a look (you too!) and so it slows in both directions. It's the same in every city I have traveled to except LA area where it is ten times worse than here. My neighbor who recently moved here had a 2 hour commute - each way!

There's a couple of notorious bottlenecks, the "Broadway Curve" on I-10 which has been slow for the 30+ years I have lived here. If you live in the SE valley you will probably get to know this one The underpass crossings on I-17 near downtown, Dysart road on west I-10. 101 and I-17 intersection all the way to Anthem. Carefree Highway and I-17.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 10-11-2006 at 06:42 PM..

Old 10-11-2006, 06:41 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,262,305 times
You're right an several counts:

- Yes, you do get used to it
- Where there's an accident, everybody looks
- The lane jumpers and agressive a*** do get on my nerves, and there are plenty of them here. Even worse are the idiots that stay in the left lane until 1/4 mile before their exit and then try to jump 3 lanes. They've been making the same trip every day for years, but it's like they just realized that Exit 5 comes shortly after Exit 4, which coincidentally came after Exit 3....lol.

Sounds like it's a bit more tolerable than here, but it seems like the rush starts earlier- understandable, I guess, given the heat.

Bob

Old 10-11-2006, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
You're right an several counts:

- Yes, you do get used to it
- Where there's an accident, everybody looks
- The lane jumpers and agressive a*** do get on my nerves, and there are plenty of them here. Even worse are the idiots that stay in the left lane until 1/4 mile before their exit and then try to jump 3 lanes. They've been making the same trip every day for years, but it's like they just realized that Exit 5 comes shortly after Exit 4, which coincidentally came after Exit 3....lol.

Sounds like it's a bit more tolerable than here, but it seems like the rush starts earlier- understandable, I guess, given the heat.

Bob
The heat influences the rush because of construction workers. And there is a LOT of construction going on in both residential and commercial. In summer they start work at like 3am to 5am. My brother-in-law is a concrete guy and works from 10pm to 5 am in the summer. But in the winter the construction workers start later and are out there with everyone else. So summer commute is not as bad as winter.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 10-11-2006 at 06:56 PM..

Old 10-11-2006, 06:51 PM

One nice thing about the freeways here is that they have all been topped with rubberized asphalt - a ground up mix of old tires and tar. It cut the decibel level substantially. It's like gliding on ice compared to concrete surfacing.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:08 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,450,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
My husband commutes all over we live in Mesa right now we are moving to Chandler in a couple of weeks so his commute will get easier to where his jobs are., we used to live in DC and no matter what they say it isnt as bad as that place. It took him at 5pm in the afternoon 35 minutes to go from Glendale to mesa, he hasnt had any real problems yet, certain roads do get backed up though, he has learned when to get off and go another route and you will too, when it rains though watch out!!!!

What part of Glendale and what part of Mesa?
It takes me about 45-50 minutes from Power and Guadalupe to Cactus and 51st Ave in Glendale and that's without traffic. Our best friends live in Glendale.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:12 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,617,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
What part of Glendale and what part of Mesa?
It takes me about 45-50 minutes from Power and Guadalupe to Cactus and 51st Ave in Glendale and that's without traffic. Our best friends live in Glendale.
I have no idea it is just what he tells me on the phone!! We live in East Mesa now, yuck. maybe he just had a good day!

Old 10-11-2006, 07:15 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,450,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Since the response to my question regarding the weather was so good, and given that I just spent 2 hours trying to get home (26 miles) because of a light rain (no accidents- just rain), I figured Phoenix traffic would be a good next topic.

I've seen posts here calling Phoenix traffic "horrible", and talking about commutes that are "over 45 minutes" (heaven forbid....lol...that's a short commute here in NJ...). Of course, everything is relative, and a 45 minute commute means nothing without some idea of the distance traveled, whether it's on the highway or local streets, etc.

What I'd like to find out is this- what's your commute time, what's the route like, where are you starting and ending, and what times are you traveling. Responses that are descriptive like the one I'm going to set out for my own commute would be perfect.

My commute is 26 miles- 3 miles of local road (4 traffic signals) to get to the highway, 22 miles on a 3-lane highway, and slightly less that 1 mile off the highway to the office (1 light). I leave the house at around 5:45 am, and the ride is just under 30 minutes. If I was to leave the house anytime from 6:30 to around 8:30 am, that same trip would be at least 1 hour, and likely 1:15 on most days. In the afternoon, if I leave by 4:30, the ride is approximately 45 minutes. If I leave between 5:00 and 6:30, the same ride is more like 1:15 to 1:30. If it rains, the ride is a minimum 1:30 to 2:00, and if it snows, I don't bother driving in, because the ride is easily 3-4 hours each way.

We're looking at moving to the Chandler/Gilbert/Ahwatukee area, but I'm not sure where I'd be working. Therefore, commutes starting in those areas would be most helpful, but it would be great to get a feel for commute times in general as well.

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob, I live in Gilbert and commute to Ahwatukee every day. I don't dare get on the US 60 I take the side roads all the way down and without traffic it is 35 minutes. The afternoon ride I take the side roads too and without traffic 40-45. If you do decide to take the 60 you will see an accident in between Gilbert and Val Vista every single day.

Now I live in East Gilbert on Power road if you move to Gilbert and you are more west, lets say Mcqueen by the Islands you can shave off 15 minutes from your commute.

Old 10-22-2006, 12:26 AM

84 posts, read 151,027 times
Default Yes, my two cents worth on traffic.

I went to Ashfork yesterday to finalize the survey on my property and pay the bill. As soon as I reached the level land at Sunset Point I felt total peace.

I came back through Prescott, left there at around 2:30 PM and headed down 89A. Got on I-17 South at Cordez Junction and as soon as I reached the burbs of Phoenix I was in stop and go traffic. That was about 3:30 PM. It didn't let up until I was on the I-10 exit and heading east. I was soon stuck in it again at and until 4:00PM. I fully intended to be home about 4:30PM at the latest.
I exited Jefferson on the one way, forgot about the dumb light rail project, had to go over to Washington at 16th St., go back up and go over to Van Buren. So I go all the way down Van Buren and then get on the 202. It was like a parking lot. I finally got up to Mc Lintock and then went over to Main and took Main Street in Tempe and Mesa. Never got home till 5:30.

You people that seem to think you are going somewhere quick, lots of times I can't pick and choose when I am going to be somewhere. Sure, Mesa to Glendale or Glendale to Mesa on the freeway is nice(ok, never nice), if you can go between 10:00PM and before 2:30PM.
Now my cottonpicking blessed endeavor from Prescott was about twice as long as it ever should have been and the traffic is not nice here.
You know what the news Media says here? You can be on I-60 literally frozen in traffic and they will report it as a slight delay East bound between such and such a street. By the time they report an accident that will delay you severely(have my radio on to the news station all the time), I am stuck right in the middle of it and it is too late to plan an alternate route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area