Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 12:27 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,308,100 times

Advertisements

NHL putting the heat on the city of Glendale | Insiders

This has been discussed before but the way this article describes it, the situation looks pretty grim and sadly the Coyotes might not be in Glendale much longer. It looks like time is running out-hopefully a solution is soon found or the Coyotes look bound for Canada or Washington state.

Last edited by phoenixmike11; 06-16-2013 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 01:57 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,900,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixmike11 View Post
NHL putting the heat on the city of Glendale | Insiders

This has been discussed before but the way this article describes it, the situation looks pretty grim and sadly the Coyotes might not be in Glendale much longer. It looks like time is running out-hopefully a solution is soon found or the Coyotes look bound for Canada or Washington state.
I never understood why they didn't simply share an arena with the suns. lots of nhl teams share arenas with their nba home teams. oh well, I guess it's a done deal. bummer.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:10 PM

I agree with you kytoaz-it might not have been easy or cheap to make US airways arena suitable for hockey and basketball at the same time, but cheaper than building a brand new arena. Also, downtown phoenix would have been a better and more convenient location for most of the area's hockey fans (which I read once that a majority of hockey fans were located in the East Valley)

Old 06-16-2013, 03:08 PM

63 posts, read 113,426 times
Doesn't the city of Glendale still stand to lose more money by not keeping the Coyotes in Westgate? I realize it's hockey in the desert but it's pretty sad when a community the size of metro Phoenix cannot support all the major sports teams. Does anybody know if the teams in Miami and Tampa Florida get any more support than the Coyotes did?

Old 06-16-2013, 03:48 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,237,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodfellas17 View Post
Doesn't the city of Glendale still stand to lose more money by not keeping the Coyotes in Westgate? I realize it's hockey in the desert but it's pretty sad when a community the size of metro Phoenix cannot support all the major sports teams. Does anybody know if the teams in Miami and Tampa Florida get any more support than the Coyotes did?
This is a pretty lazy criticism. The Coyotes didn't have an owner and was pending being relocated. How do you expect fans to go out of their way and support a team that may not be here tomorrow? In fact, the Coyotes had arguably the worst ownership group in the league. Also, the team is devoid of skilled player so we don't score a lot of points or have the type of exciting offensive skill that other teams have. I don't care how large a city is, if you have a bad owner, the populace won't support it. It has nothing to do with the size of the city. There are plenty of large city teams that have poor attendance due to bad ownership. The team with the lowest attendance was the New York Islanders. The Clippers were located in LA and had the worst attendance in the league for years until their owner started opening his wallet. The Miami dolphins had the 4th worst attendance and only sold 76% of their seats and this is a team that has won multiple Superbowls but their owners are horrible. Houston has the third worst attendance in MLB and they are the 4th largest city in the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixmike11 View Post
I agree with you kytoaz-it might not have been easy or cheap to make US airways arena suitable for hockey and basketball at the same time, but cheaper than building a brand new arena. Also, downtown phoenix would have been a better and more convenient location for most of the area's hockey fans (which I read once that a majority of hockey fans were located in the East Valley)
I agree and disagree. If the team were more centrally located, the attendance figures and support would be much higher. That being said, a lot of this is perception. Sure, it may take longer to drive to Glendale but you more than compensate for that in terms of parking and walking to the stadium. There is no other sports venue in the city in which you can literally park at the stadium and walk to your seats in under 5 minutes. You can valet park at the entrance for the same price it costs to park at Suns, Dbacks and Cardinals games. They offer two types of valet parking with different rates. And the Renaissance hotel offers valet parking as well. And then there is the free parking that is really close as well. Most people just haven't tried it and it's all perception. I'm a Cardinals season ticket holder with E lot parking (the best parking you can get) and it still takes a good 20 minutes to park and walk to my seats. I'm a Suns season ticket holder and even with parking in the Jefferson garage and walking to my seats, it's still 20 minutes when you account for downtown traffic.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 06-16-2013 at 04:01 PM..

Old 06-16-2013, 05:51 PM

you make some valid points river-another thing a downtown arena would have been better is access to public transit-for those without a car or who dont like to drive - a downtown arena would have been better, 1 time I wanted to take public transit from central phoenix to cardinals stadium and it was like 90 minutes by buses and I decided not to go-with light rail downtown it makes easier for some people to get there via public transit and 40+ games downtown would have brought more people downtown- helping the downtown phoenix area. Honestly, at this point it really does not matter-it is what it is and unfortunately the Coyotes are possibly leaving soon.

Last edited by phoenixmike11; 06-16-2013 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-16-2013, 06:35 PM

7,310 posts, read 12,246,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
I never understood why they didn't simply share an arena with the suns. lots of nhl teams share arenas with their nba home teams. oh well, I guess it's a done deal. bummer.
The problem with US Airways Center is due to the fact that it wasn't designed for hockey in mind and was intended to be basketball-only, unlike many other arenas which were designed to be easily convertible between basketball and hockey. The sightlines for many of the seats were horrible when the Coyotes played there, with some of them hanging over the hockey rink. The Coyotes desperately wanted a new arena intended for hockey, so they decided to move to Glendale.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:53 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,582,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodfellas17 View Post
From what I have read the Florida teams (minus the Dolphins and Bucs) get horrible support. Even the Heat struggle during the regular season.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:10 PM

2,769 posts, read 5,696,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
From what I have read the Florida teams (minus the Dolphins and Bucs) get horrible support. Even the Heat struggle during the regular season.
Here's last year's numbers (for hockey):

2011-2012 NHL Attendance - National Hockey League - ESPN

I would bet the FL teams do better because there are so many more northerners (snowbirds, visitors, transplants, etc ) and the population is about 3 to 1 compared to AZ.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:37 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,237,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Here's last year's numbers (for hockey):

2011-2012 NHL Attendance - National Hockey League - ESPN

I would bet the FL teams do better because there are so many more northerners (snowbirds, visitors, transplants, etc ) and the population is about 3 to 1 compared to AZ.
Here are this year's NHL Attendance figures.

2012-2013 NHL Attendance - National Hockey League - ESPN

We were not last in attendance this year and we drew about a 1100 more fans per game. The Tampa Bay Lightning won a Stanley Cup. Until the league assumed ownership, the Coyotes had the worst ownership in the league. And when the NHL bought the team, we had the lowest budget of all teams. With new ownership and a committment to remain in the Valley, the attendance numbers will increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance/_/year/2012

Miami was 29/32 in attendance and Tampa was 31/32.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area