U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 10:45 PM

9 posts, read 10,219 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow Phoenicians,

Thanks to every active member in this forum, I have learned alot from the great discussions and debates around here. I am almost set on a house to rent but would like to get some perspective on the feel of the area.

I am moving here from Michigan after 4 gruesome winters. Young married couple with two kids (oldest almost 4 so school is not a big concern yet). I work in the medical field across a few Banner hospitals on the west side so a central location was essential. I am renting on a 12month lease for now. I liked a house between W Olive and W Peoria ave just west of 101 Hwy. I did drive around the block and ended up with a wierd feeling. The houses are relatively new but cookie-cutter style. Every other driveway had an F-150 truck (which is a great car no doubt). I did not see kids at all outside.

1. Does this area suffer the issues of south peoria/south glendale surrounding Grand ave?
2. Is it diverse enough to be receptive to a non-caucasian non-christian family? Is it an older generation neighbourhood?
3. Any further perspectives on schools/safety ect are appreciated

Thank you for all you help,

It was funny that all 4 of the agents who showed me houses were transplants (Ohio, Michigan, Canada, and Wisconsin). What do phoenix natives do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 12:53 AM

28,527 posts, read 21,663,577 times
Well my son lives in that area of 67th/Olive and it's a great area. He loves it.
My brother in law lives near 73 Cactus and likes it.
As far as cookie cutter, many of the later 30 year developments are. Pick-up trucks are a way of life in AZ and Southwest, they're one of the top selling vehicles around.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:05 AM

1,172 posts, read 817,954 times
I live off of Olive very close to Grand and love it. No issues, safe, quiet, it's great here! Although, I am east of the 101 so I'm not sure. I am not sure what issues there are to suffer, but being close to Grand myself I have not had any problems. Safety has never been a concern for me. We are looking to buy and my realtor took me west of the 101 around that area I believe, and she would not take me anywhere that would have issues or safety concerns. The areas we looked at had religions/races of all, so I would not worry about things like that either. But, most of the houses would be cookie cutter. I am not sure if you would see a lot of kids outside this time of the year, depending on the day. My neighborhood has kids, but they just aren't out a lot during late June - August, they tend to go to places like camp or lakes or the YMCA that has pools, etc. They don't hang around the hot pavements.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:22 AM

The area looks different that east of 101, I guess newer development, and that's why I asked if it had a different feel/mix. The cookie cutter appearance is common in all american suburbia I know, but it was a little too obvious here because there were very little houses that had anything to their front yard but minimal desert landscaping.

Thanks to both of you for the insight. It really takes some of the stress and concern away.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:19 PM

606 posts, read 613,586 times
IMO, West Peoria has less crime issues that South Glendale near Grand Ave. And FYI - Almost everybody here in the PHX area is a transplant. No big deal.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:19 AM

816 posts, read 1,603,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user#1 View Post
Hello fellow Phoenicians,

What do phoenix natives do?
They marry transplants (like me) and prosper! LOL

Old 06-21-2013, 01:26 AM

Thank you again ... I spoke to the neighbours and even spoke with a sheriff who lives in that subdivision and all were happy and content. All of them said "its really quiet" So, I submitted my application. Let's hope that all goes well. Here I come Arizona! Goodbye Michigan!

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

Old 06-21-2013, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalys View Post
They marry transplants (like me) and prosper! LOL
Just like a cactus tree..

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

Old 06-21-2013, 01:29 AM

28,527 posts, read 21,663,577 times
^^^Welcome to Arizona...

Old 06-21-2013, 10:17 AM

1,172 posts, read 817,954 times
Yep we and all our family are transplants too. Liking it so far (over a year later) and I'm sure you will too.
Seems like a lot of Michiganites (Michiganders?) come here too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area