Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2013, 07:05 PM

57 posts, read 109,578 times

Advertisements

We currently rent in Val Vista Lakes in Gilbert. We absolutely love the neighborhood itself, but now that we have a daughter and have learned more about the more extreme Mormon culture over here of excluding non-Mormon kids in school, activities, etc, we're trying to find similar neighborhoods elsewhere in the valley where this might not be as much of an issue.

I am not interested in making this a debate about whether or not this culture exists this far east in the valley. We have lived here 7 yrs now and already know the answer. What I am interested in is the opinions of other residents on what other neighborhoods/communities (preferably w/ amenities & excellent schools) would be considered "desirable" or "sought after."

We do not plan to stay here for a very long time, so wherever we purchase we want to a) enjoy and b) have that extra oomph that would make potential future buyers or renters more interested in our house over a similar house in a different neighborhood. We know that houses hold their values better here in Val Vista Lakes and are rented/sold more easily simply due to the clubhouse itself, for example.

Anyone have any input/opinions on desirable neighborhoods in any of the cities: Mesa, Gilbert, Chandler, Ahwahtukee or Scottsdale? Would love your opinions and details if you have them.

Thank you so much for your time.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:29 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,275,478 times
What price range, square footage etc?

Old 06-22-2013, 07:36 PM

Ahh, good questions I should've specified, thank you.

We need minimally 4 BR (we'd prefer 5 but aren't positive if that makes it more difficult to resell) and 2 BA. Preferably 2000+ sq ft. Price range well, I suppose we could handle up to 400k if needed but we'd like to be closer to 300k, we'd even consider needing to do some aesthetic repairs (carpets, updating, etc) if the price were right and it would be worth it in a few yrs w/ resale. We really really really want a good yard b/c we have 1 toddler, hoping for at least 1 more, and we have 2 dogs.

Thank you so much.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:40 PM

I should also prob mention that I do not love desert landscaping/rocks, that sort of thing. I love that about VVL - it's so green here.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:04 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,275,478 times
You can look a little further West in Gilbert, in neighborhoods like Artemina and The Islands. Lots of larger lot residential in South Chandler neighborhoods like Barrington and Symphony without having luxury homes which would be outside your price range. Probably just avoid SE Gilbert, QC and Mesa to get away from the influence you want to get away from.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:48 PM
AZM

95 posts, read 300,469 times
Once you mention to a realtor that you are looking to be in an area that does not have a Mormon influence you will be looking for a new realtor. Religion is a protected class and a realtor will not involve themselves in anything that might remotely resemble discrimination which is what you are doing. Good luck.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:17 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,639,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZM View Post
Once you mention to a realtor that you are looking to be in an area that does not have a Mormon influence you will be looking for a new realtor. Religion is a protected class and a realtor will not involve themselves in anything that might remotely resemble discrimination which is what you are doing. Good luck.
The OP is doing that so he/she and his/her child is not discriminated against any more. Big difference.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
The OP is doing that so he/she and his/her child is not discriminated against any more. Big difference.
This exactly. Big big difference. This has been a struggle for me, dealing w/ this new information but no matter whom I discuss it w/ I am unable to find any refutations in real life, including Mormon friends from other areas in the valley or country and non-Mormon friends w/ children in the area or who recently moved b/c of it. Besides, as I mentioned, it's the specific culture found here, not the religion itself. PP if for some reason you misunderstood my post to be otherwise, my apologies for that misunderstanding.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:54 PM

I will rephrase this as a new thread completely to avoid further issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area