Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 10:59 PM

57 posts, read 109,133 times

Advertisements

We currently rent in Val Vista Lakes in Gilbert. We absolutely love the neighborhood itself but for various reasons have found it will not be wise to purchase here for our family. I am interested in is the opinions of other residents on what other neighborhoods/communities (preferably w/ amenities & excellent schools) would be considered "desirable" or "sought after" - similar to Val Vista Lakes.

We do not plan to stay here for a very long time, so wherever we purchase we want to a) enjoy and b) have that extra oomph that would make potential future buyers or renters more interested in our house over a similar house in a different neighborhood. We know that houses hold their values better here in Val Vista Lakes and are rented/sold more easily simply due to the clubhouse itself, for example.

Anyone have any input/opinions on desirable neighborhoods in any of the cities: Mesa, Gilbert, Chandler, Ahwahtukee or Scottsdale? Would love your opinions and details if you have them.

We're looking for 4+ BR, 2+ BA, 2000+ sq ft houses. The usual family friendly amenities - e.g. parks, etc. We really want a green area rather than desert landscape. Our price range would be similar to that what is found in VVL - we could go up to 400k but would prefer not to. We'd be ok w/ needing to do some aesthetic rehab for a better price.

Thank you so much for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 11:15 PM

57 posts, read 109,133 times
(mod cut - orphaned) I have lived here, in the East Valley for 7 yrs. Of those 7, 6+ have been in this specific neighborhood. I have been a parent for only 2. What is important changes drastically when you become a parent & I haven't randomly moved all over the valley for sheets and giggles so no, I do not know enough about other areas in the valley from this perspective.

Last edited by observer53; 06-22-2013 at 11:30 PM..

Old 06-22-2013, 11:26 PM

606 posts, read 1,598,057 times
Sorry I don't really know that much about the more ritzy neighborhoods of the valley but I can't help myself from commenting on the very classy and respectful way you posed both your original and second thread. You are obviously a very educated and socially adept person and I wish you the best of luck in yoir persuits. Peace.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:49 PM

428 posts, read 5,879,278 times
McDowell Mountain Ranch in Scottsdale. Very beautiful convenient and desirable location, safe, many upper middle class families with kids, very low HOA and community pool.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:52 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,415,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sws9 View Post
(mod cut - orphaned) I have lived here, in the East Valley for 7 yrs. Of those 7, 6+ have been in this specific neighborhood. I have been a parent for only 2. What is important changes drastically when you become a parent & I haven't randomly moved all over the valley for sheets and giggles so no, I do not know enough about other areas in the valley from this perspective.

Have you visited/looked at homes in the Estrella community in Goodyear?

Estrella by Newland Communities

I don't have personal experience with the schools but by what I hear/understand, they are well regarded.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:38 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,738,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sws9 View Post
You don't have to move around the valley to know about it. You just have to leave your house once in a while.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:26 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,582,293 times
I am new to the valley and renting an apartment in the Dobson Ranch area. There are some very nice homes in this area as well as excellent shopping and a lot to do nearby. I think you can't go wrong with this part if Mesa, Tempe, or Scottsdale.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:15 AM

19,358 posts, read 27,562,622 times
I'm not sure I understand what it is you're looking for - your OP describes VVL very well, so I'm not 'getting ' why you don't want to buy there.

Some additional information might be helpful. But since you aren't planning on staying that long, I'm wondering if you wouldn't be better off continuing to rent.

Dobson Ranch is older and I don't consider it that desirable. I agree McDowell and Estrella are lovely, and would add Las Sendas to that list. How "sought after" they will be in the future is a best guess situation, IMO.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:28 AM

19,358 posts, read 27,562,622 times
Ah. Now I've read your other thread and understand the issue. Scottsdale is probably your best bet, especially around McCormick Ranch for the green stuff you are seeking. However, I'm not at all sure you're going to get that size house with the budget you stated of $300-400K.

The area around Ocotillo might work, but I don't know about it being 'sought after'. Though lovely, McDowell and Las Sendas probably don't fit the non desert look you want.

I suspect you're going to have to compromise something.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:19 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,738,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'm not sure I understand what it is you're looking for - your OP describes VVL very well, so I'm not 'getting ' why you don't want to buy there.

Some additional information might be helpful. But since you aren't planning on staying that long, I'm wondering if you wouldn't be better off continuing to rent.

Dobson Ranch is older and I don't consider it that desirable. I agree McDowell and Estrella are lovely, and would add Las Sendas to that list. How "sought after" they will be in the future is a best guess situation, IMO.
For other who didn't see the other thread the OP wants to get away from the Mormoms, because they won't play with their kid. OP move anywhere besides Gilbert or Mesa to get away from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area