U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-07-2007, 10:12 PM

14 posts, read 31,763 times

Advertisements

We do have mosquitos and they do bite.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 10:24 PM

2,441 posts, read 3,895,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by From KW View Post
So what are the best months in Phoenix?

Everyone says at least it's a dry heat. I've been noticing (via the internet) it's mostly been high mid 80's and low mid 60s these days. Is this comfortable?

Is there a noticable difference between suburbs like Mesa compared to Phoenix?

Help is appreciated.
I hear the best months are January and February. Highs in the 60s and 70s, if not a little above, and lows generally in the 40s.

The temperature here is very comfortable. It has actually been above 90 the past couple of days. With the absence of humidity, you'd be surprised by how tolerable 90-95 degree temperatures can feel. Overnight temperature are nice, too. I can open my windows at night and get a nice flow of cool air.

The main problem with this weather pattern is that it hasn't changed in some time. Air pollution is trapped within the Valley, as air currents aren't moving as quickly. As a result, there is definitely a noticeable change in visibility, and I'm sure the feeling of well-being among many. I hear that this is typically the pattern experienced in winter, so I am not sure if it is all that abnormal.

Lastly, overnight low temperatures seem to vary widely. Sky Harbor Airport, where all the official readings are taken in Phoenix, experiences the warmest overnight temperatures in the Valley, by far. This is mainly due to the fact that the asphalt traps in heat from the day, and is slow to release it back into the atmosphere at night. The same effect is generally experienced in many heavily-paved and developed parts of the Valley (including Central Phoenix). How low the temperature drops in whatever part of Mesa you're considering will be heavily-dependent on whether you live near any washes (those areas tend to be much cooler at night) or dependent on what type of land you're surrounded by (farmland or vegetation of any type: cooler, paved-over: warmer).

Where I live in North Scottsdale, it tends to be MUCH cooler at night than at the airport. I am pretty much on the edge of development, in a small drainage area, and at a higher elevation than much of the Valley. As a result, I have seen it up to 20 degrees cooler here in the mornings than Sky Harbor, especially during the summer.

Daytime temperature vary across the Valley, but not as much as nighttime temperatures. Daytime highs are generally coolest across Carefree, Cave Creek, and North Scottsdale, which are at the highest elevations in the Valley. High temperatures are generally highest across Central Phoenix, the West Valley, especially by Luke AFB, Buckeye, Avondale, Litchfield Park, which are located in some of the lowest elevations across the Valley. From my experience the temperature in Mesa usually isn't that much different that surrounding locales (Tempe, Chandler, Gilbert, South Scottsdale, and Apache Junction).

Old 11-07-2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingoutphx View Post
We do have mosquitos and they do bite.
That is for sure. There are DEFINITELY a lot mosquitoes in the Valley. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:40 PM

98 posts, read 180,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
That is for sure. There are DEFINITELY a lot mosquitoes in the Valley. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

compared to...?
i, for one, do not have to worry about going outside in the summer and scratching my ankles until they bleed all night.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:28 PM

376 posts, read 52,847 times
I would say (in the past-as I feel that our weather is shifting warmer for longer-global warming is real folks) October and April (ish) used to be the nicest times of the year. Now it seems that we are warmer longer, and sooner. So, it seems like we will need to move the months. I am assuming if this year is an indicator-November is the nice month in the fall and perhaps March in the spring? There are months that are tolerable in the other times of year too. But you asked for the best months. As far as summer, to me, it seems to be a 6 month deal as far as truly uncomfortable, and then 2 added months of extra warmth. 2 nice months-the way you wish it was year round, and then 2 months of cool/cold weather. What is especially weird about our weather is that there will be a LARGE shift in temp in one day. For example, it will be perhaps 55 at night and 85 in the day. (I am just giving an example) So, you may be cold in the AM and warm in the PM. Strange.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pynkpanther View Post
compared to...?
i, for one, do not have to worry about going outside in the summer and scratching my ankles until they bleed all night.
Compared to Central New Jersey. I get so many mosquito bites out here during monsoon. Luckily they have been gone for about the last bout of high humidity we had here in early October.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:28 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 3,762,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanawaleJulie View Post
When do you think this weather will cool off?
Too damn soon! I'm trying to enjoy these days in the low nineties, but I've been missing the summer temps since the pool dropped to sub 80 degrees. As much as I enjoy 110+ days, I think I could live without them if it would just hover around 100 until the end of December as a trade off.

It's going to be a long cold winter.
Quote:
What is especially weird about our weather is that there will be a LARGE shift in temp in one day. For example, it will be perhaps 55 at night and 85 in the day. (I am just giving an example) So, you may be cold in the AM and warm in the PM. Strange.
I thought you had lived here a long time? There's really nothing strange about it at all. During the '60s and '70s the temperature swings were greater in the valley than they are now. You can still experience it if you go into the desert outside of the valley. It gets considerably cooler overnight there and just as warm during the day. Today is a good example. According to MSN's weather page, today Phoenix was 93/63. Coolidge was 93/57.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
Too damn soon! I'm trying to enjoy these days in the low nineties, but I've been missing the summer temps since the pool dropped to sub 80 degrees. As much as I enjoy 110+ days, I think I could live without them if it would just hover around 100 until the end of December as a trade off.

It's going to be a long cold winter.

I thought you had lived here a long time? There's really nothing strange about it at all. During the '60s and '70s the temperature swings were greater in the valley than they are now. You can still experience it if you go into the desert outside of the valley. It gets considerably cooler overnight there and just as warm during the day. Today is a good example. According to MSN's weather page, today Phoenix was 93/63. Coolidge was 93/57.
You could always heat your pool. I am very sure this will not be a long cold winter.

I have lived here since 83-I was informing others who didn't know about it.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:09 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 3,762,339 times
Quote:
You could always heat your pool. I am very sure this will not be a long cold winter.

I have lived here since 83-I was informing others who didn't know about it.
For me, long and cold. I'm wearing sweatpants now and the thermostat is at 82 degrees. It's all relative. Besides having lived here for 45 years, over half of that was working mostly outside as a cop. Wearing over 25 pounds of uniform and gear, including having my torso rapped in 5/8 inch thick body armor. Try standing outside in that all day! It's why I can laugh (I know it's rude, but I can't help it) at people who complain about the heat. Wearing all that in 110+ degrees IS hot!!! But having done that for so long, it makes 115 in a t-shirt and shorts feel like heaven.

Heated pool: I thought about doing that once. But it would cost waay too much and besides, we have the spa. I do get dizzy pretty fast trying to do laps in it though.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
For me, long and cold. I'm wearing sweatpants now and the thermostat is at 82 degrees. It's all relative. Besides having lived here for 45 years, over half of that was working mostly outside as a cop. Wearing over 25 pounds of uniform and gear, including having my torso rapped in 5/8 inch thick body armor. Try standing outside in that all day! It's why I can laugh (I know it's rude, but I can't help it) at people who complain about the heat. Wearing all that in 110+ degrees IS hot!!! But having done that for so long, it makes 115 in a t-shirt and shorts feel like heaven.

Heated pool: I thought about doing that once. But it would cost waay too much and besides, we have the spa. I do get dizzy pretty fast trying to do laps in it though.
LOL, laps in the spa? Not a good idea. I guess it is relative if you are used to having so much stuff on you in the heat. I have lived here a long time. It doesn't get easier for me; it gets harder. Every year I get more and more upset in the summers. I am pretty sure that next summer I will be living with friends back east for the summer. I can't take it anymore. I get dehydrated so easily and dizzy too. I throw up. I hate it. I am stuck here due to a custody arrangement. I will be moving when my child goes off to college. (5.5 yrs and counting!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area