Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 12:49 PM

111 posts, read 659,971 times

Advertisements

When I lived in Arizona I thought the palm trees and other trees that stayed green year around were pretty cool but after a couple of years I got bored with them. When I returned east to visit during April to November it just seemed so pretty and green. I had never appreciated the beauty of a forest of oaks, elms and maples and the pretty light green of spring and the fall colors in October until I lived in Arizona.

Yes there are some pine forests and regular trees in Northern AZ but they were not as pretty as the forests of New England.

So... If you live in Phoenix, do you miss the green eastern types trees like we have east of the Mississippi?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 01:06 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanNature View Post
When I lived in Arizona I thought the palm trees and other trees that stayed green year around were pretty cool but after a couple of years I got bored with them. When I returned east to visit during April to November it just seemed so pretty and green. I had never appreciated the beauty of a forest of oaks, elms and maples and the pretty light green of spring and the fall colors in October until I lived in Arizona.

Yes there are some pine forests and regular trees in Northern AZ but they were not as pretty as the forests of New England.

So... If you live in Phoenix, do you miss the green eastern types trees like we have east of the Mississippi?
I would take the forests up in the white mountains(arizona) over anything out east anyday.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:12 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Not the forests. There is nothing like the forests of northern az (above say 8000) feet in the east that even compares - real mountains, aspen, lodgepole pine, elk. We got forests, the east has "woods". As for the green, it is lovely to look at in summer, but it also is brown and dead there - more so than here - for at least 6 months of the year.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:25 PM

603 posts, read 946,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanNature View Post
Yup. That's what Phoenix summers are for. Travelling.

If I moved back east, I'd miss the desert.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:28 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
There's a lot of greenery even here in the valley. A different kind I suppose, but nothing that makes me miss the trees back in MI. Heck, they're a barren eyesore for 6+ months out of the year anyway.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:33 PM

173 posts, read 404,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Not the forests. There is nothing like the forests of northern az (above say 8000) feet in the east that even compares - real mountains, aspen, lodgepole pine, elk. We got forests, the east has "woods". As for the green, it is lovely to look at in summer, but it also is brown and dead there - more so than here - for at least 6 months of the year.
You're comparing a tiny dot on a map with an entire region.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:14 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,259,045 times
Maybe I will later, but any place I lived back east was so flat. At this point I need mountains more than green.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:18 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
As Joni Mitchell once wrote, "You don't know what ya got til it's gone."

Personally, I got used to the desert surprisingly fast. Now when I see green lawns, I just think about people wasting water.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:33 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokuku View Post
You're comparing a tiny dot on a map with an entire region.
a tiny dot lol

Old 06-28-2013, 04:37 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
a tiny dot lol
Big dot, little dot, I can see no further than where I am. And that brings up another thought, in the east the trees block the view. You can't see 100 feet across the road for all the leaves. It looks so different in winter when the leaves fall off and you can actually see the (limited) topography. I had a place in the Oklahoma Ozarks that I would visit in summer. I loved the seclusion there. I went back in winter once and was shocked how many other houses there were around me and how all my privacy had fallen away with the dropping of the leaves.

While I do enjoy the eye-candy green, it gets old compared to the exposed geology, the mountains, the ravines and canyons, the angularity of the landscape, and the play of light that one finds in western landscapes. There is nowhere in the east where the sky is so blue and the stars so many as right here in AZ (outside of the Phoenix area of course).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area