Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 12:30 AM

13,717 posts, read 7,992,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosic View Post
... With my average summer bill 400-450 a month, last months was 310. I cannot preach how happy I am with my investment, super quiet units saving me money monthly
How big is the house?

Even $300 seems like a very high electric bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 09:25 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,685,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
How big is the house?

Two units would suggest at least 2000 sq ft, likely larger.. and $300 in actual usage isn't bad for Phoenix in summertime. Probably at least $100 of that $300 is for using lights, dryers, etc, which you'll pay year round, even when you're not heating or cooling the house. Both of the major power companies in town have budget billing available, which will give you a lower payment in the summer and a higher payment in the winter to make it easier to budget.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:55 PM

363 posts, read 929,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
How big is the house?

John,

I wish I had $300 bills during the summer. That is May's bill in a 4000+ SQFT home which in the East Mesa new developments is the average home size...

With regards to the AC units, how do you keep them on at all times? Set the thermostat to 65F ? No matter how you look at it, even at 70F it will stop and run, stop and run... all day long. I'd be interested in seeing a good answer.

Lev

Old 07-09-2013, 10:52 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,222,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matyoka View Post
John,

I wish I had $300 bills during the summer. That is May's bill in a 4000+ SQFT home which in the East Mesa new developments is the average home size...

With regards to the AC units, how do you keep them on at all times? Set the thermostat to 65F ? No matter how you look at it, even at 70F it will stop and run, stop and run... all day long. I'd be interested in seeing a good answer.

Lev
I doubt there is a home in the valley that can cool a house to 70 degrees when it is 115+ out and not run continuously. That is way past what a residential unit is designed to do. There comes a point, mine is around 78 degrees when the unit has to run non-stop to keep my home at that temperature when it gets really hot out like it was when I started this thread. I don't think mine could ever get my house to 75 let alone 70 when it is as hot as it was that weekend.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:17 AM

550 posts, read 1,126,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I doubt there is a home in the valley that can cool a house to 70 degrees when it is 115+ out and not run continuously. That is way past what a residential unit is designed to do. There comes a point, mine is around 78 degrees when the unit has to run non-stop to keep my home at that temperature when it gets really hot out like it was when I started this thread. I don't think mine could ever get my house to 75 let alone 70 when it is as hot as it was that weekend.
If you cannot get it down to 75 something is wrong with your a/c. I have it set to 76 and the unit does NOT run non-stop. From 10 pm to 7 am it is set to 74 and it does NOT run non-stop. I NEVER had an a/c run non-stop not even in the Houston humidity where I set my thermostat to 72 (2200 sq feet with very high ceilings in living/dining and family room). Since there is not much humidity here, I feel comfortable with the setting at 76.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
If you cannot get it down to 75 something is wrong with your a/c. I have it set to 76 and the unit does NOT run non-stop. From 10 pm to 7 am it is set to 74 and it does NOT run non-stop. I NEVER had an a/c run non-stop not even in the Houston humidity where I set my thermostat to 72 (2200 sq feet with very high ceilings in living/dining and family room). Since there is not much humidity here, I feel comfortable with the setting at 76.
Maybe you missed the timeline...this thread was started on the two days where it was 119 degrees out. It would take a lot of effort and energy for a residential unit to get a home to 75 degrees when it is 119 out. I don't think it is abnormal at all for a large 3000 sq ft two story home to only cool to 78 when it is that hot out.

Now if it performed like that when temps are in the normal range I'd be concerned.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:07 PM

363 posts, read 929,847 times
Someone was mentioning how the AC units will eventually get damaged if not running continuously. How can I achieve the task of running my units without the usual interruptions?

Old 07-09-2013, 01:38 PM

24,463 posts, read 25,999,509 times
Quote:
Someone was mentioning how the AC units will eventually get damaged if not running continuously. How can I achieve the task of running my units without the usual interruptions?
That is a false assumption.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I'm sure you actually don't want that as your power bill would overwhelm you. Turning down the temp in your house is how you cause the unit to run more. There is no reason to concern yourself with this as they are designed to cool your home and shut off. The point made was that on and off is harder on mechanical things then constant running, however, you'll go broke to the electric company if you strive for that.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:06 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,685,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I'm sure you actually don't want that as your power bill would overwhelm you. Turning down the temp in your house is how you cause the unit to run more. There is no reason to concern yourself with this as they are designed to cool your home and shut off. The point made was that on and off is harder on mechanical things then constant running, however, you'll go broke to the electric company if you strive for that.
Not really - if the unit is sized properly, it will run constantly, but draw less power when it's running than an oversized unit. The difference in amp-draw between a given tonnage and the next larger size can be a couple of amps. If you're on a time of use plan, one amp, for one hour probably costs a quarter during the day. Also, any a/c, large or small takes about 10-15 minutes in operation to reach peak efficiency. If your a/c runs for five minutes, shuts off for ten, then starts again for five minutes, you're wasting a lot of juice.. better to have a smaller unit running at peak efficiency for the entire time. (Drawing less amps (quarters!) During that time..

Its also a lot more comfortable to have the unit running constantly.. you're less likely to get "hot rooms" if the unit runs more.

The new trend to make up for oversized units is "two speed" compressors - the unit runs for longer periods at "low", drawing less power, but kicks into "high" on extremely hot days, or if the unit cant keep up on low.

Running an oversized a/c unit is kinda like delivering pizzas in an 18-wheeler, because *one* day per year you (theoretically) need that much carrying capacity. Every other day, you're wasting fuel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area