Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 11:16 AM

11 posts, read 71,401 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm looking to buy my first house in the city of Phoenix. There was extensive remodeling done (new roof, new plumbing fixtures, new bathroom, moved walls, etc.) with licensed contractors.

They didn't get building permits.

I did some checking and the city of Phoenix does have a document online indicating that they can choose not to penalize the homeowner if the owner chooses to go back and make it honest. Choose is the keyword--I would still have things ripped up and they could go ahead with the fine.

If I look for a new house, it will probably end up costing $10-15k more for another house in this area (due to price increases and negotiating).

I honestly don't know what to do. It appears to be pretty common in Phoenix to cut this corner, and no one brought up building permits until I did.

Any advice? A huge part of me wants to run the risk.

Thanks!
Jen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 11:28 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
You don't need a permit in phoenix to move non-load bearing walls, replace a roof with the same material (you do if you change from shingles to tile), or to replace plumbing fixtures. The only thing that would concern me is if there were outlets added or moved, thats the only thing you mentioned that would require a permit. Even so, its incredibly easy to see if electrical work was done by a non-pro.. diy work doesnt generally look at all like pro work.. just having a pro pop a couple outlets & peek at them would tell the tale.. the way the wires are placed, stripped & terminated tells the story.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:22 PM

Thanks, Zippyman!

I understand what you're saying--a majority of the work wouldn't have needed a permit in the first place. So that's good.

The new bathroom would have had new electrical and new plumbing installed. Would that be a big issue, if that were the only item that needed a permit (but didn't have one)?

Jennifer

Old 06-30-2013, 12:34 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Are you concerned about the safety? Like you said, it is quite common that people ignore building permits (but not necessarily codes). Why turn yourself in?

Old 06-30-2013, 12:43 PM

I don't think safety is the issue.

I've mentioned it to my realtor, but not to anyone in the permit office. I don't want to turn myself in unless I have to, such as a future remodel or prep to sell the house in 7-10 years (if ever).

Thanks!
Jennifer

Old 06-30-2013, 01:15 PM

I doubt the bathroom would have required a permit, unless they relocated something like a shower or a toilet.. pulling a vanity out, and replacing the lines & waste trap doesn't require a permit.. replacing an outlet doesn't require a permit, as long as it isn't moved..

New romex (wire) has a date written on it, and has for at least ten years, so it's obvious if a line has been added.. & when it was added.. it cant be "original" if it has "july 2012" written on the insulation every foot or so!

I would be concerned if a new wall had outlets in it - or if I saw newer breakers next to old breakers in the electrical panel. They either tapped an existing circuit, or added a new circuit without a permit, so that would be concerning.. but if the work was approved by my electrician, I would be ok with it.. there are a lot of "tells" in wiring.. a pro can tell if the work was done by another pro.. just like a barber can tell if someone else cut your hair..

That being said, I've had licensed & insured contractors add a garage circuit without a permit, and they wouldn't have done anything differently *with* a permit.. except take a week longer waiting for the building inspector to sign off..

I would happily disclose the unpermitted work to a new buyer, take it or leave it.. so the minimum I would require from a seller is full disclosure.. what was done & who did the work.. any evasiveness would be the end of the deal.

That said, I've seen quite a few homes with wicked unpermitted work done, and apparently approved by lenders & appraisers for mortgages.. it doesnt seem to make a property "unsellable" here.. But I (personally) wouldn't accept a disclosure statement on an obvious flip that's crossed out & says "seller never lived here".. that seems to be quite common these days..

Pretty much every disclosure statement I've ever seen has at least one lie in it - water heaters require a permit for replacement & no one ever pulls a permit for that..

If they hired work done, they *know* what was done & who did it, and they are required to disclose..

Last edited by Zippyman; 06-30-2013 at 01:26 PM..

Old 06-30-2013, 05:55 PM

Thanks Zippyman!

It is a flip that has not been lived in since the remodel. It passed home inspection very nicely. There was a scorched wire, but I'm asking that be fixed.

I'll watch the disclosure very carefully. Assuming it lists the contractors, I'll check them out.

Jennifer

Old 06-30-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclandia View Post
Thanks Zippyman!

It is a flip that has not been lived in since the remodel. It passed home inspection very nicely. There was a scorched wire, but I'm asking that be fixed.

I'll watch the disclosure very carefully. Assuming it lists the contractors, I'll check them out.

Jennifer
You should have the disclosure *already* if you've done a home inspection.. you should have had it before an offer was written, really.. don't accept a blank one & kick your agent in the (knee) if they didn't get that disclosure to you already..

Old 06-30-2013, 06:29 PM

I have a document listing the work that was done. It doesn't list contractors and isn't written in an official looking form.

It has a paragraph giving an overall project description and a bullet list of everything that was done in detail.

Thanks,
Jen

Old 06-30-2013, 06:54 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
I am still waiting for an attorney to give advice on this. How did the city know there was a remodel?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area