Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 06:57 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
Well, I understand.
As much as I like the sunshine, even I must admit, I'm hoping for rain soon. I live in far east Mesa so I have a better chance at some rain than a lot of the valley.
I have a pool to cool off with but I could use a cooler night. Just one. It's a rather large pool so it stays pretty cool most of the time but it's up to 88 today. Above 90, it just isn't as refreshing but it's still good. Also, being an avid fisherman, the lakes could use some water. I hear Roosevelt is down and San Carlos is virtually dry. I haven't fished either of those so I'd like to see them filled a bit before I make the jaunt.
Hey, I have the answer. I'm going to wash my car, my truck, my motorcycle and my boat on Friday. With that, it's almost a certainty it will rain by Monday.
Whacha think?
Cheer up old friend. Some much needed rain is just around the corner. I can feel it.
I found a new thing to like: drive in fireworks. Yes, indeed. After several years of absence Westgate in Glendale is going to have a fireworks display this year again. And, in checking it out on the web, I see where you will be able to watch from your car in the parking lot while the Westgate restaurants will be selling grab and go lunch bags for people to eat while they park and watch. If that is not enough, after the show when the temps drop to a bearable 110 or so, there will be an "old fashioned" pub crawl with drink specials at all the watering holes. Let's hope this becomes a tradition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 07:27 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,264,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I'm in an ill humor today. Hot, OK, but this humidity along with 113 degrees at my house right now is over the top. The 4th is supposed to be dry yet. And for three straight nights now we have had those infernal dust storms with another one possible tonight and each night for the next several with no hope of rain. I really wonder what is becoming of the weather around here. It is becoming unlivable.
Whoa, I thought you LOVED IT here?

Old 07-03-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
Whoa, I thought you LOVED IT here?
I have defended the place against some of the stupid,negative, and misleading posts I see on this forum, but love it here? Not so much when the monsoon moisture gets here. And this being the hottest June ever, well I am a little fed up with it already. Still, I never have found anywhere else that I liked that is enough better to make it worth moving. Phoenix is the only city I could ever stand for more than a short visit. What I really need is to spend part of the year in one place, part in another, but that is not in the cards just now.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:26 PM

63 posts, read 113,918 times
A question to the OP. What lake do you boat and swim on? I am looking to move to the area soon and am interested in those types of activities. Also, I hear about the high humidity. When I checked today it was 17% in Phoenix and 90% here in the midwest. How high does it get in Phoenix during your monsoon season?

Old 07-03-2013, 08:47 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,716,722 times
As I've said on other PHX/AZ forums, I enjoy Phoenix but LOVE Arizona in the 1 1/2 years I have been here full time. Before I get to all the positives, I only have found two warts. Freeway drivers and the lack of active weather from March through June. The heat didn't change my way of life last August when we set a record for 8 straight days over 110. I spent this past sunday hiking the Superstitions and checking out Canyon Lake which never gets old. BTW, Tonto passes are required to park and are $6/day which can be purchased at the Chevron on Idaho just north of the Rte 60 exit for Idaho.While the heat isn't an issue, the lack of rainfall for 3 plus months I find a little annoying. However, I left NY for many reasons and have no regrets. Now the top 10 things I love about PHX and AZ.

1) A job I enjoy and have more take home pay with much more favorable taxes for both income and property than the majority of US States.
2) Dream come true for nature lovers as myself. From hiking to kayaking areas with mountains between 7-12000 feet high in elevation, it's a blessing.
3) October to April is the best weather in the country and I have been to Florida and California during the winter so that is saying something.
4) Love the New Mexican (Carlsbad Tavern in Scottsdale) and Sonoran food along with good NY style Italian (LaFamiglia's and Floridino's in Chandler).
5) PHX is within 5 hours of my two favorite sites in the country. San Diego and Grand Canyon.
6) Geographic and ecological zones are diverse and many can be seen over distances of less than 100 miles.Take the Beeline to Payson and you see the saguaros exit before Sunflower and the high desert everntually becomes juniper and then ponderosa as one gets to Payson.
7) Friendly people. People I've dealt with firsthand have been very welcoming to me professionally and publicly.
8) Live and let live social vibe. As a libertarian I feel at home here.
9) Don't give generous handouts to the lazy as California and NY do.
10) Very inexpensive acreage can be had with beautiful views. Yes, a lot of the land is where one has to haul but many want an acre for camping and have no intentions of improving the land so for a few thousand, it's a great purchase just for recreation.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
I have defended the place against some of the stupid,negative, and misleading posts I see on this forum, but love it here? Not so much when the monsoon moisture gets here. And this being the hottest June ever, well I am a little fed up with it already. Still, I never have found anywhere else that I liked that is enough better to make it worth moving. Phoenix is the only city I could ever stand for more than a short visit. What I really need is to spend part of the year in one place, part in another, but that is not in the cards just now.
I was under the impression you had a place up in the Mogollon Rim area for the summers ? You've been one of the better posters here over the years and offer objective takes as a longtime resident. Even the bigger advocates of the state as myself and some of my coworkers have grumbled about how the lack of rain since March has gotten annoying.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:58 PM

7,181 posts, read 9,228,608 times
I managed to shoot the ME262. That is something you don't see everyday. I would have loved to see it fly over the lake.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
I was under the impression you had a place up in the Mogollon Rim area for the summers ? You've been one of the better posters here over the years and offer objective takes as a longtime resident. Even the bigger advocates of the state as myself and some of my coworkers have grumbled about how the lack of rain since March has gotten annoying.
I have had a difficult time getting away this summer. And then it was nearly 100 degrees up there last week! Looks to be cooler this week and we may go up for a couple weeks. It will be nice to do a little trout fishing and exploring the forest roads on the ATV. The lows are in the 40s there right now. Doesn't that sound delicious?

The ability to get away so quickly and to such an extreme change is something that really, really is nice about AZ. Finding the time can be hard, especially for people who have to work for a living. But it is there when the time is right.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
I have had a difficult time getting away this summer. And then it was nearly 100 degrees up there last week! Looks to be cooler this week and we may go up for a couple weeks. It will be nice to do a little trout fishing and exploring the forest roads on the ATV. The lows are in the 40s there right now. Doesn't that sound delicious?

The ability to get away so quickly and to such an extreme change is something that really, really is nice about AZ. Finding the time can be hard, especially for people who have to work for a living. But it is there when the time is right.
Factoring in the COL and being the nature nut I am, I hope to remain a Zonie for many more years and eventually retire within the state. With that said, I've found the Phoenix area to be a place to make a living but eventually hope to settle down somewhere in the 3-5000 feet range in elevation. To me, that is the best climate in this state. Places like Kingman and Verde Valley have a touch of 4 seasons without the extremes of Phoenix heat or Flagstaff cold. Unfortunately the best climates have lackluster employment prospects in relation to the payscale of Phoenix. Short term, I'm about to purchase an acre near the Grand Canyon South Rim as my avenue to enjoy the outdoors in a different climate. Not looking to profit or even improve it but to have views of the SF Peaks at 6000 ft elevation is a nice change of pace.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:10 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,645,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodfellas17 View Post
A question to the OP. What lake do you boat and swim on? I am looking to move to the area soon and am interested in those types of activities. Also, I hear about the high humidity. When I checked today it was 17% in Phoenix and 90% here in the midwest. How high does it get in Phoenix during your monsoon season?
I primarily go to Saguaro Lake and Canyon Lake. They are virtually in my back yard. Saguaro is 18 minutes from my driveway and the boat ramp at Canyon Lake is 28 minutes and if you don't think I timed it when I moved here, you're nuts. lol.
I prefer Canyon Lake actually. Saguaro Lake is so close to town that it tends to get more crowded, particularly on the weekends but either lake is beautiful although the nod goes to Canyon Lake for visual satisfaction. Canyon Lake is also larger and is known for larger fish than Saguaro but Saguaro is known for more abundant fish. Both lakes produce nice bass fishing.
Apache Lake is also close but the road is so rustic that it takes 90 minutes or more to get there even though it's only 30+ miles away. The road is primitive but the views are fantastic.
If you like lakes, then the east valley is probably where you might like if you have a choice. There is an abundance of lakes around here. Saguaro, Canyon, Apache, Roosevelt, San Carlos, Bartlett and probably a few others I can't think of.
The humidity? 90% would certainly be a rarity. I'm no expert but I don't recall the humidity every getting over 60% and that was during a monsoon storm. I'm sure someone will chime in with more information on on that.
If you would like some more information on the lakes around here, don't hesitate to send me a PM. I'm on the lakes usually at least once or twice a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
As I've said on other PHX/AZ forums, I enjoy Phoenix but LOVE Arizona in the 1 1/2 years I have been here full time. Before I get to all the positives, I only have found two warts. Freeway drivers and the lack of active weather from March through June. The heat didn't change my way of life last August when we set a record for 8 straight days over 110. I spent this past sunday hiking the Superstitions and checking out Canyon Lake which never gets old. BTW, Tonto passes are required to park and are $6/day which can be purchased at the Chevron on Idaho just north of the Rte 60 exit for Idaho.While the heat isn't an issue, the lack of rainfall for 3 plus months I find a little annoying. However, I left NY for many reasons and have no regrets. Now the top 10 things I love about PHX and AZ.

1) A job I enjoy and have more take home pay with much more favorable taxes for both income and property than the majority of US States.
2) Dream come true for nature lovers as myself. From hiking to kayaking areas with mountains between 7-12000 feet high in elevation, it's a blessing.
3) October to April is the best weather in the country and I have been to Florida and California during the winter so that is saying something.
4) Love the New Mexican (Carlsbad Tavern in Scottsdale) and Sonoran food along with good NY style Italian (LaFamiglia's and Floridino's in Chandler).
5) PHX is within 5 hours of my two favorite sites in the country. San Diego and Grand Canyon.
6) Geographic and ecological zones are diverse and many can be seen over distances of less than 100 miles.Take the Beeline to Payson and you see the saguaros exit before Sunflower and the high desert everntually becomes juniper and then ponderosa as one gets to Payson.
7) Friendly people. People I've dealt with firsthand have been very welcoming to me professionally and publicly.
8) Live and let live social vibe. As a libertarian I feel at home here.
9) Don't give generous handouts to the lazy as California and NY do.
10) Very inexpensive acreage can be had with beautiful views. Yes, a lot of the land is where one has to haul but many want an acre for camping and have no intentions of improving the land so for a few thousand, it's a great purchase just for recreation.
Just a FYI. A yearly Tonto pass is available for something like $90.00 or so. I buy the yearly pass and I'm good to go. It's available at the Forest service. I got mine at the Mesa office next to Falcon Field Airport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
I managed to shoot the ME262. That is something you don't see everyday. I would have loved to see it fly over the lake.
*I would have loved to see that at the airport. I've never seen one up close. I didn't even know there was a flying example.
*Great pictures BTW.*
*I see they have extended the canopy on that for a co-pilot or passenger. It doesn't look quite as mean is the single seater but still very cool.

Quote:

I didn't know you had a place on the rim. That sounds very cool in more ways than one.

Last edited by maverick974; 07-03-2013 at 11:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area