Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 05:55 PM

197 posts, read 451,694 times

Advertisements

As you ALL know, everyone dislikes Phoenix's skyline and I can't say I blame them. After researching proposals like the 32-story residential Cielo towers (that were trashed), Omega one tower: all these projects that would've boosted our skyline! There was even a proposal for a "Phoenix tower" that was supposed to withstand 110 stories! Also, what ever happened with the Trump tower Pheonix? Can someome please explain why our skyline is so dinky for our size? Other than being so spread out, Houston is more spread out then we are and they still have a better skyline. Can we just break our record already!? It's been almost 40 years since..

Moderator cut: copyright violation

Last edited by Kimballette; 08-22-2012 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: Copyright violation - please post original material only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 06:24 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,184,047 times
We've had threads about this in the past. It depends on your vantage point, so that it looks better in some views than others, but I don't find our skyline as boring as others do. We have a lot more important things to worry about than how our skyline looks, IMO. It's "dinky" for our size, as you put it, because Phoenix started spreading out from downtown a long time ago. Our business district has never centralized downtown as in other cities. It's moving back that way somewhat, but only time will tell whether the Phoenix skyline will ever achieve the approval of its present detractors.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:26 PM

2,246 posts, read 3,026,689 times
Does EVERYONE hate the skyline? How can you say with such certainty?

That said, I agree that it is lacking compared to most cities of it's size. Had the economic downturn not made so many project come to a screeching halt, I'm sure Phoenix's skyline would be a bit different today. Part of the reason Phoenix's skyline does not look like Houston's though is partially because it has a million fewer people, and secondly because Phoenix is a City that has only recently rapidly expanded to become the very large city that it is today. It's doubled in population over the past 30 years. Most of that growth was outward expansion and there has historically been little pressure for density to increase in the downtown core. It's simple land economics. Land is cheap, and especially on the fringes. Single family housing is cheap and so many new housing developments sprang up all over the Valley. Many executives desire to live close to where they work, so established their offices and headquarters in places like Scottsdale or Biltmore area, or further up Central instead of the downtown.

The City of Phoenix lacked some foresight back in the 60's and 70's and neglected the downtown, which left it a less desirable place for people to live near or businesses to grow or locate to. That has slowly changed over the past 10 years or so, so you are starting to see some more densification as new condo towers are built to go along with new tall buildings like Freeport McMoran and Cityscape. It took many decades, but downtown is becoming a more happening place, and as that happens, land values increase and people are more compelled to build high.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:29 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,863,408 times
Yeah, but we have mountains right in town. Most other cities don't. Mountains are prettier.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:42 PM

6,401 posts, read 8,915,481 times
Who is going to pay for the buildings to improve the Phoenix skyline? Building just for the sake of doing so is beyond stupid.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:43 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,886,505 times
It's not so much the skyline that bothers me, it's the empty dirt lots and surface parking lots that do. If we could fill up every dirt lot and parking lot with 5-10 story buildings, our skyline would look the same but downtown would be so much better.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:56 PM

197 posts, read 451,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
We've had threads about this in the past. It depends on your vantage point, so that it looks better in some views than others, but I don't find our skyline as boring as others do. We have a lot more important things to worry about than how our skyline looks, IMO. It's "dinky" for our size, as you put it, because Phoenix started spreading out from downtown a long time ago. Our business district has never centralized downtown as in other cities. It's moving back that way somewhat, but only time will tell whether the Phoenix skyline will ever achieve the approval of its present detractors.
Those threads didn't really answer my question. Im not saying we should replicate another city or be the 15th best skyline. All im saying is that I think its about time we expand past 500 ft, atleast.

Last edited by stasi_crystals; 08-22-2012 at 07:11 PM..

Old 08-22-2012, 07:12 PM

6,401 posts, read 8,915,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
It's not so much the skyline that bothers me, it's the empty dirt lots and surface parking lots that do. If we could fill up every dirt lot and parking lot with 5-10 story buildings, our skyline would look the same but downtown would be so much better.
Again, who will pay for this? I'm sure more buildings would go up if the vacant properties/lots had interested buyers who wanted to build upon them.

I would also had that people are comparing a young skyline to cities that have been major cities for a hundred years or more.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:52 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,247,690 times
I like it.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:35 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,113,195 times
I kinda like our skyline. I didn't know EVERYONE disliked it. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area