U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 01:42 PM

3,995 posts, read 6,135,265 times
LOL, gilbert mom, still at it. I fear what you are teaching your kids, the hate you spew is disgusting and I hope your children do not grow up to dislike and distrust persons of the Mormon religion, that is just awful.

Second, the bonds issued to help pay for the park are not taxes but a special district that will not collect revenue from the park for 25 years I believe. So if this park was never built, then there would be no revenue generated for nearby towns or those that will travel and stay in Phoenix and Tucson. They aren't using tax payer money to pay for anything. This is what the law and your so called tax increase is:

"In June, 2008, Senate Bill 1450 received approval from the state legislature and Governor Janet Napolitano. The new statue will allow for the formation of a Regional Attraction District (or RAD) in Pinal County. The RAD will be permitted to impose a surcharge of up to 10% on the price of tickets for admission to the park and other purchases made within its boundaries - but ONLY within the boundaries of the RAD. The RAD surcharge will have no impact on the collection of existing CIty, County, or State tax collections. The proceeds of the surcharge will be used to retire the debt permitted under the new law. In other words, this funding mechanism will allow Arizona to create a national attraction without any use of taxpayer dollars."

Second, tourism in Arizona is steady, flat, and predictable. From Forbes travel:
"Unlike other major U.S. tourist markets, tourims in central Arizona is relatively flat and peaks in the first quarter of the year. A consistent level of tourism is experienced throughout the year as compared to other destination cities with theme parks which garner much of their attendance during the summer months and are often closed several months out of the year."

Here is a link where you can read about Decades:
Designing for the heat - DECADES Music Theme Park: Eloy, Arizona

Why they chose Arizona and its location (and its not a mormon conspiracy or mormon investors Gilbertmom):
DECADES Music Theme Park: Eloy, Arizona

Peter Alexander is a major investor in the Park along with celebrities like Pat McMahon, Alice Cooper, and on and on.

DECADES Music Theme Park: Eloy, Arizona
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 02:15 PM

3,482 posts, read 4,479,701 times
FCorrales, the best thing to do is ignore posters like Gilbert Mom. She obviously has warped, bigoted opinions toward those who have high hopes of developing a sun scorched desert area into a thriving theme park with a potential for success. Her blaming the Mormons & investors is way over the edge. She might be a bitter person who hasn't been very successful in life, so she bashes those who are successful & take risks.

It's the negative, NIMBY activism that often prevents Arizona from becoming more than just sand, cactus, and snakes. Gilbert Mom is right about one thing: Eloy IS a dump. But why keep it that way? Why not allow investors & developers to turn it into a huge tourist attraciton that will improve the area & generate revenue?

Old 07-01-2008, 02:43 PM

19,180 posts, read 50,030,673 times
Some of the proposed rides at the rock-n-roll theme park...

The A$$ Brander: metal seats under the June sun. Have a seat! IF YOU DARE. MUHUHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA Scary.

The Magician: watch as 50 gallons of water is dumped from 20 ft above the ground. Now, now, thats not the trick... the magic is how it evaporates and turns to steam before it hits the ground. Magic!

The Dehydrator: its not actually a ride, its the line youre standing in (devoid of shade and misting systems). Hang on folks!

The Alice Cooper Special: A photo of Alice in the center of a room. Nothing more, nothing else. Whats fun about this attraction is that you can compare your face to his, after standing in line for 2 hours in the sun in 115 degree heat. Should look about the same, minus the makeup of course.

The Insult To Injury (departing ride): after standing in the heat all day, you get to walk another 1/2 mile back to your car, across 200 degree pavement, just to get into a 180 degree car, where, if you have leather, get another free ride on the A$$ Brander! WOO HOO!

The Lazy River: Hey! Where's the flippin water??? This aint nothin but jagged rocks and animal bones! What the?!?!

The Dust Devil: hold onto your hats, folks! This one's wild! Be sure to close your eyes to keep the sand/dirt out, or else youll miss the ride! The real ride is just another version of the A$$ Brander, except this one spins. Which one is the ride, again?

The Magic Tree: Watch as this "magic" tree mysteriously changes colors! Behold the spectacle as the leaves change from green to yellow to orange to red. Be prepared for lots of "ooohs" and "ahhhhs" and "whoas" from native Phoenicians.

The Flash Flood of Death: pilot a car through raging torrents of dirty, nasty, brown water in a replica Tucson setting, if you dare!! Fun for the whole family!

Phoenix Rising: attempt, if youre cunning enough, to actually get a hot-air balloon to rise. The trick is to get the flame on the ignitor to get hotter than the outside air temp, which causes the balloon to rise. Laugh not my friends, its harder than it looks! Step on up and test your skills!

All in good fun....

Old 07-01-2008, 02:51 PM

3,995 posts, read 6,135,265 times
LOL steve-o! Brilliant, I love your sense of humor and thank god you are not the park designer. But true all in good fun a halarious post. But in all seriousness, this will be a great park and an amazing attraction for the area, especially Sept-early June. The water features and "designing for the heat" emphasis will make this just as fun in the summer. The A$$ Brander! LOL, that was my fav steve-o!

Old 07-01-2008, 02:54 PM

9,027 posts, read 9,595,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
First of all, you are stereotyping the Mormons. Granted, I'm no fan of the Mormon denomination (or of religion in general), but your remarks about them & their business practices are nothing more than bigoted opinions. There are no proven facts to back up your allegations.

Second, you don't have your facts right about Mecham. He wasn't from Eloy. He was born in Utah, and lived in Ajo for a while before he moved to Glendale ... but he didn't live in Eloy. Even if he did, who cares? The guy was an unpopular governor who was removed from office, and now he's dead. Why even bring up Mecham? He has nothing to do with the theme park.

I think FCorrales is right. You really sound like a person who believes in crazy conspiracies. Worse yet, you sound like yet another common naysayer/NIMBY who is fighting the theme park. If you're against a theme park, you and the rest of the opponents don't have to be part of the attendance ... simple as that! You don't have to post distorted information to get your negative viewpoints across.
Well said, I agree with you on all points. Discriminating against Mormons is a form of bigotry. I don't agree with their views but it's unfair to stereotype them. It seems like when progress wants to be made in Arizona, there is always some group that is opposed to it and tries to kill it. Since I've been here, I've seen mass opposition to the light rail, Chase Field, the new Cardinals stadium, the new hockey arena, extension of the 101...you name it. Any time somebody wants to build something and improve the city, there is always seem cheap a%#%# who doesn't want to pay an 1 cent sales tax because they don't want the investors to get rich regardless if it benefits the cities and provides joy to people. And after all those projects are completed and succeeding, you never hear from these naysayers ever again. They are just a big nuisance

Old 07-01-2008, 03:00 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,289,752 times
Good stuff steve-o. Ass brander...nice!

Old 07-01-2008, 03:04 PM

19,180 posts, read 50,030,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
LOL steve-o! Brilliant, I love your sense of humor and thank god you are not the park designer. But true all in good fun a halarious post. But in all seriousness, this will be a great park and an amazing attraction for the area, especially Sept-early June. The water features and "designing for the heat" emphasis will make this just as fun in the summer. The A$$ Brander! LOL, that was my fav steve-o!
Glad you liked it. I figured this thread needed a little humor. And what better way than to poke a little fun at PHX's heat.

I should make a list for Chicago winter ride attactions. Now that I could have some fun with.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:07 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,289,752 times
Ass brander works there to. Just wet it down first and let the 5 degree temps do the rest.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:14 PM

9,027 posts, read 9,595,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Glad you liked it. I figured this thread needed a little humor. And what better way than to poke a little fun at PHX's heat.

I should make a list for Chicago winter ride attactions. Now that I could have some fun with.
Dude, it was not brilliant. I read that expecting to laugh. You held back and were P.C. on purpose. Next time, just be Steve-O and rip into us the way you normally would. My gosh, it's like watching Eddie Murphy do Dr. Doolittle. Bring back the old Steve. You are getting a little soft hanging out with all us bleeding hearts buddy j/k..I actually liked the ass brander. LOL

Old 07-01-2008, 03:16 PM

133 posts, read 242,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Well said, I agree with you on all points. Discriminating against Mormons is a form of bigotry. I don't agree with their views but it's unfair to stereotype them. It seems like when progress wants to be made in Arizona, there is always some group that is opposed to it and tries to kill it. Since I've been here, I've seen mass opposition to the light rail, Chase Field, the new Cardinals stadium, the new hockey arena, extension of the 101...you name it. Any time somebody wants to build something and improve the city, there is always seem cheap a%#%# who doesn't want to pay an 1 cent sales tax because they don't want the investors to get rich regardless if it benefits the cities and provides joy to people. And after all those projects are completed and succeeding, you never hear from these naysayers ever again. They are just a big nuisance
I am not "discriminating against Mormons." I am merely stating facts and observations based on my twenty years experience in both the public and private sector dealing with LDS members. It is they who discriminate against nonMormons in the public school district, devise ways to get tax dollars from both the state and federal government, break employment laws by "discriminating" against women and minorities in the workforce and hiring "their own" through nepotism. If you want facts, let me know-- I'll be happy to post the links.

Utah has the highest incidence of mortgage fraud, welfare fraud and brought shame to the U.S. during the bribery scandal of the Olympics when it was in Salt Lake City. Don't fool yourself. Where there is smoke there is fire:
Dave's Mormon Inquiry: Where's All That Tithing Money Going?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area