Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 02:39 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,407,769 times

Advertisements

I have never been in Phoenix Dec, Jan or Feb. How are those months different then San Diego? Is there more sunshine? I think Phx gets cooler at night those months, but probably has less rainy overcast days. Phoenix is one of the areas I'm considering living 6 months of the year. I live in Seattle right now and want to live up here about 6 months of the year.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:57 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,715,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
I have never been in Phoenix Dec, Jan or Feb. How are those months different then San Diego? Is there more sunshine? I think Phx gets cooler at night those months, but probably has less rainy overcast days. Phoenix is one of the areas I'm considering living 6 months of the year. I live in Seattle right now and want to live up here about 6 months of the year.

You pretty much answered your question. Winters are fairly similar with both cities having highs in the 60's with lows in the 30's and 40's. Yes, San Diego gets more precip in the winter as it's their "rainy season" if you will. Some of those strong Pacific Lows ACTUALLY make it here resulting in a few rainy days during those months along with heavy snow for the higher elevations generally above 5000 feet above sea level.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:20 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,060,609 times
yes, with lower humidity in Phx, the day-to-night temp swing is much larger than an area next to an ocean....it cools very quickly and is usually "cold" for us locals after sunset and first thing in the morning....but direct sun areas can be warm-feeling when a nearby shady area is cool....

the big diff is low humidity and all that that entails.....

Old 07-07-2013, 08:55 AM

But the day time temps in Dec/Jan/Feb Phoenix are most shorts and flips weather? Are those 3 months pleasant? Has anyone lived in San Diego vs. Phoenix extensively those three months to compare?

Old 07-07-2013, 09:59 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,160,625 times
Have you tried Googling weather in San Diego and weather in Phoenix? You could get specific, accurate data in moments.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:14 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,594,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
yes, with lower humidity in Phx, the day-to-night temp swing is much larger than an area next to an ocean....it cools very quickly and is usually "cold" for us locals after sunset and first thing in the morning....but direct sun areas can be warm-feeling when a nearby shady area is cool....

the big diff is low humidity and all that that entails.....
Actually it sounds like it may be very similar. If you are a few miles inland in San Diego you can have 30's in the night/morning and a high of about 65. Actually up in Ramona (I LOVE Ramona, will live there one day) this last winter as I was up there hanging out we had 15 degree lows and 55 degree highs, what a huge temp swing. It was semi surreal driving through Jack in the Box in the early AM and everything is covered in ice. I sight you expect a little east in Julian but not there.

Before I continue ranting, I seems like Phoenix has a very similar winter to most of SD, in which case I will be looking forward to it. I wont have to sneak off back to SD almost every weekend like I am now.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:48 PM

I can look up stats which I have, but that doesn't give me as a good description of someone who has lived winters in both places. Stats on weather.com don't give you the percentage of sunny for example.

It sounds like the winter in the inland desert areas of San Diego would be somewhat similar to Phoenix winters. Maybe Palm Springs and Borrego Springs have pretty similar winter weather top Phoenix. If that's the case it sounds nice! When you get out east of San Diego to Ramona or Borrego Springs, they tend to have clearer warmer days with more sunshine, but colder nights then closer to the Coast parts of San Diego.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:21 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,594,767 times
Actually I can't speak for borrego as its a similar climate to phoenix as its the beginning of the desert but typically the mountains are colder during the day and at night than the coast. The inland valleys (El Cajon, Lakeside, santee, escondido, poway etc) are also typically colder than the coast throughout winter. San Diego county in general has nearly all of its yearly rainfall in the winter and winter nights and morning can be quite foggy. I have had many white knuckle drives at night through El Cajon when I was so foggy I couldn't see the hood of my truck (stay off main roads and just cruised Madison nice and slow). You get a fair amount of cloudy days in the winter especially on the coast. It is much sunnier inland in winter but even there you get some cloudy days.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:00 PM

344 posts, read 812,721 times
Cali gets considerably higher winter precip/clouds/storms accompanied by greater dampness/humidity and less sunny/partially sunny days, all of which feels cooler at similar temps. the winds of the ocean are also higher, meaning greater wind chill. Most of those storms other than the significant ones, are mild or nonexistent by the time they get here, if they do. California is considered a Mediterranean clime, which most don't realize. Quite different from desert. Inland Cali is closer to Arizona.

Stats that are readily available online are very helpful in highlighting this, including numbers of sunny days.

http://www.worldfactsandfigures.com/..._city_desc.php

Last edited by sunluv; 07-07-2013 at 06:19 PM..

Old 07-07-2013, 07:11 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,134,209 times
Your question is somewhat subjective and there are maaaany Midwest transplants on this board, so their opinions will be contrary to mine. In general, you do not wear flip flops or shorts in the Winter here. I will give you an anecdotal example: I walk the dogs in the early AM and late PM all year round. In the Winter, there are warm afternoons, warm enough to wear shorts or flip flops, but it would be fleeting, as other posters have said, because it cools off shockingly fast and even a 75 degree PM can dip into the low 40s easily. So, in general, people dress in layers in Winter. You can wear a hoodie or sweatshirt with a light jacket during the cold times of the day and night, then take them off accordingly thoughout the daytime. Some days are cold though-low 60s and some are even in the 50s and that is bundle up weather. But personally, I stop wearing flip flops inside and out, sometime in November after the first cold front moves through. I don't break them out again until the first warm period, usually in March.

Same goes for thick blankets on the bed.

Overall, DEC/JAN/FEB are considered pleasant, it is snow bird season for a reason. Lots of sun overall. But you most likely won't be swimming outside in an unheated pool at that time of year....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: