Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2007, 05:06 PM

872 posts, read 999,561 times

Advertisements

Hey, I moved here from CT to go to ASU, not just for school, I will probably end up living here also. I love the mountains, the desert, the heat, the palm trees and the whole atmosphere. I noticed that a lot of people out here are a lot better looking than in New England. Since its sunny almost all the time, could that be an explaination--the sun makes people happy, etc. I remember talking to a native here and they didn't know what SAD was (seasonal affective disorder) where in the East, people would be depressed or more slightly depressed in the winter due to the lack of the sun and daylight. Also I noticed, despite all the fast food restuarants here, a lot of people are into exercising and fitness very much. I don't know, the people here give off a different vibe than in New England, its hard to explain, but it's definitely not a bad vibe. Now, this doesn't mean everyone here is happy, good-looking and friendly, just coming from the East it very much seems that way. I am certainly happier here than I was in CT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 05:37 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Interesting observation, Jnvlv!

Are you implying . . . A HAPPY FACE IS A PRETTY FACE?
! ! ! !

Old 11-08-2007, 06:43 PM

919 posts, read 3,395,544 times
I think a lot of pretty people simply migrate to warmer/sunny climes. When I graduated high school in Colorado, a lot of the "hottie" gals chose colleges in FL, AZ, SoCal.
Not all - Colorado is full of beauties. I simply don't recall many heading North. Maybe some want to flaunt themselves under the sun. Or maybe many who are handsome (M/F) look better due to an interest in fitness, a lifestyle choice that arguably better matches with warmer/sunny climates. Again I'm painting with broad strokes here, but I've never seen MTV covering a spring break bikini contest in Cleveland.

That said, there's also a significant part of AZ that is severly obese and unhealthy, and Phoenix moves higher on chunky city list every year. Mesa is now #4, which makes me wonder if Waveyard really has to do much mechanically, other than hand out ciggies and fried appetizers.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:20 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,252,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
the sun makes people happy, etc. I remember talking to a native here and they didn't know what SAD was (seasonal affective disorder) where in the East, people would be depressed or more slightly depressed in the winter due to the lack of the sun and daylight
I totally agree wtih this statement! We moved here about 10 months ago from upstate NY and I can definitely say I'm happier. I don't necessarily like Phoenix (but I don't dislike it either) but for some reason, I'm much more optimistic and positive. I totally credit the sun as a huge influence. I remember in NY, I'd always get depressd and down in the winter for some reason. Part of the reason may have been the passing of my Father; and part of the reason why I'm "happier" here is probably b'c of a deliberate effort to be happier, too. Lots of factors involved but the sun definitely takes some credit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area