Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2013, 07:16 AM

6 posts, read 12,159 times

Advertisements

Hey folks, I am relocating to the area for work next month and am considering a few places for short term housing. I expect to stay there 3 months tops before finding a permanent home when my girlfriend joins me. I'll be working downtown on Jefferson and 2nd and have a car. I wouldn't mind taking the train in though a few times a week so being close to light rail is a bonus. I found a place in Encanto Village and one in Old Town (the latter being a little more expensive). Which area would you recommend living to a first time Arizona resident?

Also, if you have any other recommendations, feel free to send those my way.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 07:32 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,192,912 times
Not sure where exactly you are in Encanto Village, but neither that area nor Old Town Scottsdale (I assume that's what you mean by Old Town) are near the light rail if you wanted to use that. You may be limited in your choices by where you can get a three month lease, so you might plan on staying there a bit longer even after your girlfriend moves here too. Midtown Phoenix, Biltmore/Camelback East area (also not convenient to light rail) are other options, as well as Tempe if you are looking at another suburb. Public transit, when you want to use it, is best from there.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:37 AM

6 posts, read 12,159 times
Interesting, the Encanto complex claims it's three blocks from light rail (3rd Avenue and Indian School Road).

Thanks for the quick response and thoughts.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:42 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,895,806 times
It is three blocks from the light rail, but not really in encanto.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:17 PM

8,020 posts, read 12,167,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DwellMS View Post
Hey folks, I am relocating to the area for work next month and am considering a few places for short term housing. I expect to stay there 3 months tops before finding a permanent home when my girlfriend joins me. I'll be working downtown on Jefferson and 2nd and have a car. I wouldn't mind taking the train in though a few times a week so being close to light rail is a bonus. I found a place in Encanto Village and one in Old Town (the latter being a little more expensive). Which area would you recommend living to a first time Arizona resident?
Old Town Scottsdale is the more popular & trendy of the two, but of course it will be more expensive. As was stated previously, Scottsdale does not have light rail, so that will not be an option if you chose that location. Also, your work location would be closer to the Encanto location, so the commute wouldn't be as lengthy. Even living just a few blocks away from the nearest light rail station can be murder to walk to in the summer, so you could always do the park & ride during the hot season. Otherwise, most of the year should be fine for walking. If it were me, I'd stick with the cheaper of the two options, especially if the residence is only temporary.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:34 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,192,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DwellMS View Post
Interesting, the Encanto complex claims it's three blocks from light rail (3rd Avenue and Indian School Road).

Thanks for the quick response and thoughts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
It is three blocks from the light rail, but not really in encanto.
When you said "Encanto Village" I didn't think you were referring to a particular apartment complex. "Encanto Village", if you Google it, is an area onto itself that doesn't include that complex.

Agree with Valley Native that I'd stick with the cheaper of the two for a first location. It is closer to your work, and more centrally located for exploring where you might rather be for a longer term location.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:20 PM

8,020 posts, read 12,167,423 times
Here are some links and photos about the Encanto Village district. Many people think Encanto consists only of the historic neighborhoods that surround Encanto Park, but the district itself includes a large part of the Central Corridor.

Encanto, Phoenix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://maps.google.com/maps?safe=of...ed=0CDAQ8gEwAA

Panoramio - Photo of Encanto Park

Encanto Park Golf Course in Phoenix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area