Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2015, 12:44 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,424,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
I figured it's time for me to bump this thread. Our "lovely" Sissoo in the front yard caused major sewer line damage which is costing us $5k alone to run a seamless pipe up into our bathroom, complete with jack hammering through your foundation to attach the pipe. The $5k doesn't include tile replacement and homeowner's insurance does not cover this issue at all.

We think this tree has been here about 12 year from the original owners. Our house was built in 2002 so this root was able to tunnel from the front yard and under our house about 20 feet in that time frame. We've only been in this house 1.5 years and can't believe we are dealing with a mess like this.

We are getting bids to removed this tree today as well. I know it's costly but I am hoping that would stop the spread of the roots which is still sitting under our bathroom. I am under the impression that while the tree will shoot up offspring, if you are diligent enough to continue to attack those, that without oxygen/photosynthesis, the roots won't be expanding. They removed part of the root near the foundation. It looked like another branch of the tree....just underground.

DO NOT PLANT A SISSOO NEAR ANY STRUCTURE.

This is the part of the root removed from the start of the foundation, about 3 feet underground. Here's our lovely bathroom.
Ugh. Guessing you had backup sewage in your house/blockage that alerted you to the problem?

I wonder how much of that issue occurred from the previous owners not deep watering that tree and causing more aggressive surface roots searching out water towards the surface/far away from the tree?

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 12:49 PM

2,618 posts, read 2,305,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Ugh. Guessing you had backup sewage in your house/blockage that alerted you to the problem?

I wonder how much of that issue occurred from the previous owners not deep watering that tree and causing more aggressive surface roots searching out water towards the surface/far away from the tree?

Good luck!
Yup, backed up. They used a camera and saw a crushed pipe. I knew what that meant. BIG BUCKS!

The guys doing the work couldn't believe the size of the root. It wasn't really near the surface though, about 4 foot under ground before heading under the house.

And it's also weird because there are about 10 other plants in the front yard that receive water that is scheduled. Not sure why it wouldn't just leach off of those as opposed to searching under the house and traveling yards longer. I am wondering if that sewer pipe had been leaking a while and that's what started the roots travels to that area. I'm not sure a house built in 2002 would be having leaky pipes though.

We are for sure removing it. Just figuring out who can do it right. More money out the window!

Old 09-16-2015, 01:09 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,356,067 times
Wow...thank you all for this informative information. I will avoid these trees just as I have often been told to avoid oleanders near any fixtures for the same reason.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:13 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,124,299 times
These trees are best suited for parks, streetscapes, or other large areas that don't have any utility conflicts...planting them next to residential property should be outlawed.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:13 PM

Just found another huge root off the the side that completely grew over the irrigation line. It's about softball size around where we were digging to repair the line. 12 year old Sissoo and it's a nightmare.

Our whole neighborhood is lined with these. Why they were recommended for people's small front yards here is absurd.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:17 PM

6,657 posts, read 4,947,967 times
We had four Sissoos removed last December, and I've been spraying the new shoots with Round Up every couple of weeks this summer.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
We had four Sissoos removed last December, and I've been spraying the new shoots with Round Up every couple of weeks this summer.
I love being outside and doing yard work so keeping up on that won't be an issue for me. I knows it's necessary to deprive the roots of photosynthesis.

How did they remove yours if you don't mind me asking? Did they have to dig all the roots in the yard or just smash the root ball? Mind messaging me who you used and cost?

Old 09-16-2015, 01:34 PM

2,769 posts, read 5,687,596 times
This is scary. I took one out myself, then dug a huge hole around the root and cut the ball out. This was 2 years ago and I still get shoots 20 ft away and occasionally rip up a nice long root. If I did it again, I would cut the tree flat to the ground, drill a 1 cup size hole in the stump, and fill it with round up every month or so.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:56 PM

So per HOA rules you must have one 15 gallon tree in your front yard. Anyone recommend something that doesn't get big (we don't need shade) and with non-invasive roots? Basically just to meet requirement but nothing that will cause this issue.

Old 09-16-2015, 03:30 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,124,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
So per HOA rules you must have one 15 gallon tree in your front yard. Anyone recommend something that doesn't get big (we don't need shade) and with non-invasive roots? Basically just to meet requirement but nothing that will cause this issue.
I'm considering an acacia aneura to replace my sissoo once the rootball is out. It doesn't go nowhere near as big and they aren't as messy. They also have a nice silvery color to them.

Just looked it up on a few local nurserys...you might not find this tree in a 15 gallon...looks like most only sell them in a 24" or 36" box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area