Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 09:01 AM

8 posts, read 7,808 times

Advertisements

Wow! I've been considering different trees for my home, good to know - thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 959 times
Had a tree pro come look at our 2 trees in front yard and he id'd them as sissoo. Recommended they be removed. (they are just 3 years old) but he said they would up root house/fence/sidewalk ect. He said what i have seen heree. Cut them down and then he said a contractor they work with would use a stump/root killer after grinding the stump. Then aboout 4 weeks later we could plant another tree but about 3 feet from the suposedly dead sissoo (my remark) does that sound like a pkroblem solver?

Old 10-19-2018, 02:55 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,724,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN MERTZ View Post
Had a tree pro come look at our 2 trees in front yard and he id'd them as sissoo. Recommended they be removed. (they are just 3 years old) but he said they would up root house/fence/sidewalk ect. He said what i have seen heree. Cut them down and then he said a contractor they work with would use a stump/root killer after grinding the stump. Then aboout 4 weeks later we could plant another tree but about 3 feet from the suposedly dead sissoo (my remark) does that sound like a pkroblem solver?

I would not plant near the sissoo spot for at least 6 months (that's just a random number, I'd now avoid it forever).

I took out the root ball of one and chased down every root/runner I could find and still I had roots come back to the original spot.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 865 times
Just curious what the outcome has been with your tree.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:19 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,045,482 times
Spray the unwanted little shoots with concentrated glyphosate (Round up.)

Old 04-26-2019, 06:41 PM

6 posts, read 7,163 times
Update on my situation:

Only have been noticing a few set of shooters over the past month, since we've gotten the warmer weather. I'm continuing to spray with concentrated glyphosate which keeps them at bay.

I havent had the stumps ground yet because I'm considering getting them removed/backfilled. Reason being less dead wood for termites to thrive on.

I'm convinced the settling issues I've had with this house are at least moderately caused by the root system from the 3 trees planted close to the house. I'm still worried that as those die and rot away, I'll experience even more settling.

Old 04-27-2019, 03:30 PM

I'd like to meet the idiot who thought Dalbergia (sissoo) would be a good addition to our local tree inventory/ forest canopy. There are soo many more attractive trees than that one.

Old 04-27-2019, 03:35 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,724,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
I'd like to meet the idiot who thought Dalbergia (sissoo) would be a good addition to our local tree inventory/ forest canopy. There are soo many more attractive trees than that one.

I don't know who, but my guess at the job was something to do with home building.

Old 04-27-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
I don't know who, but my guess at the job was something to do with home building.
OK. And I think new homeowners (especially those new to the West) don't know what kind of trees work well here, don't know how to care for trees in the arid West, and aren't particularly interested in tree species diversity either. All they want is some STINKING SHADE to shelter them from our burning sunshine. Sissoo fits the "immediate gratification" checkmark. Quick shade!!!

Old 04-29-2019, 04:17 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,050,851 times
Our next door neighbor's Sissoo trees have destroyed their own driveway. There are places the concrete has heaved at least three inches. Our drive is starting to show a little bit of movement now. What to do? This is one of those delicate neighbor situations. We're on very good terms with them today, but there's really never been any sort of conflict to be resolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area