Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 12:53 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,563,706 times

Advertisements

It's 3 feet from the curb; take a shovel, roll it to the curb and then the city will pick it up when they get yard debris. It seems like making a mountain out of a molehill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 01:00 PM

31 posts, read 56,196 times
Default Cactus in Driveway

I feel for you. In many states, unfortunately, if a neighbor's tree, etc. falls onto your property it is now your responsibility. I don't know what the AZ law is. I have always thought the laws should be changed to make whoever owns the cactus/tree responsible, especially if it's a tree that was not cared for that increased the chances of it falling. I hope all goes well with the cleanup.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:39 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,355,517 times
The city doesn't pick stuff up that isn't in a city-issued garbage container. So that would take several weeks of garbage pickups, given the amount of cactus to stuff into our small containers. But the neighbor told me their landscaper was on his way to deal with it and it's already all cut up and stacked in the yard. I think he'll be coming back with a trailer to take it to the dump.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:48 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
The city doesn't pick stuff up that isn't in a city-issued garbage container. So that would take several weeks of garbage pickups, given the amount of cactus to stuff into our small containers. But the neighbor told me their landscaper was on his way to deal with it and it's already all cut up and stacked in the yard. I think he'll be coming back with a trailer to take it to the dump.
Really? Here, we get a "bulk pickup" once per month where they'll take just about anything that's dragged out to the curb. You may want to look into seeing if they have that in your city. I'd bet that they do.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:07 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
It's 3 feet from the curb; take a shovel, roll it to the curb and then the city will pick it up when they get yard debris. It seems like making a mountain out of a molehill.
LOL. You can tell you don't live here. A saguaro weighs hundreds and hundreds of pounds!

Old 07-20-2013, 02:11 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
This is the scene in my driveway. I know it's not the end of the world. And, upon closer inspection, I probably could saw this up and put it in the garbage over a few weeks.

The property line is pretty much where the shadow ends near the base of the cactus. Neighbor is my buddy, I'm sure this will be fine. I'm just curious how to go about this. And is there any chance this cactus is salvageable?
Absolutely, Rick . . . it is salvageable.

Saguaros, in fact most if not all Cactus Plants, are tough buggers.

If either you or your neighbor are not interested, I bet there's a Cactus Nut nearby.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:13 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
If I'm not mistaken the dried spines from the Saguaro are A. Hard to get. B. Expensive because you're not allowed to harvest 'em unless it's on your property (from what I've been told) and are used from fences to decorations so one might want to be careful about how it's cut up and let it dry out instead.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:22 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Absolutely, Rick . . . it is salvageable.

Saguaros, in fact most if not all Cactus Plants, are tough buggers.

If either you or your neighbor are not interested, I bet there's a Cactus Nut nearby.
It's too late. He posted above that it had been cut up and stacked.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:24 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdunes View Post
I feel for you. In many states, unfortunately, if a neighbor's tree, etc. falls onto your property it is now your responsibility. I don't know what the AZ law is. I have always thought the laws should be changed to make whoever owns the cactus/tree responsible, especially if it's a tree that was not cared for that increased the chances of it falling. I hope all goes well with the cleanup.
In most places, if the tree is diseased, dead or dying the owner of the tree is held responsible.

If the tree is healthy, then the owner of the tree is not responsible.....anymore than you would be held responsible if a tornado picked up your car and dropped it on top of your neighbors house.

That said.....a few years ago I had straight line winds break a couple of big branches off on one of my trees and throw them in my neighbor's yard....... I had them removed.....didn't say a word to my neighbor....I just did it.....even though I didn't have to.

However, if one of those limbs had damaged their house.....I would have let their insurance handle it.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:45 PM

550 posts, read 1,126,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Technically, I would imagine this falls under act of God and where it lands is key. I know for sure that if any of my trees fell in my neighbors yard, I would be out there first thing this morning moving it off his land.
Me too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area