U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 09:43 AM

3,761 posts, read 5,544,703 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me if it is really true that Arizona is the best place to be if you suffer with arthritis? I have osteoarthritis in both my knees along with cartilage damage and am one step short of knee replacements. Would it really help moving there? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 03:07 PM

6,066 posts, read 8,462,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
Can anyone tell me if it is really true that Arizona is the best place to be if you suffer with arthritis? I have osteoarthritis in both my knees along with cartilage damage and am one step short of knee replacements. Would it really help moving there? Thanks!
I cannot tell you whether moving here will help or not. My wife has rhuematoid arthritis and she tells me that it is easier on her when the weather is hot and dry. She begins to ache as the humidity increases prior to it raining, and if the weather is cold.

When we were in California I learned that when she began to complain about her hands beginning to bother her, that it was a forecast for rain.

Bill

Old 11-10-2007, 03:55 PM

Thanks! I lived in Florida for six years and I really liked the warm weather but I still had problems with my knees because of the humidity. I left Florida back in May of this year and moved to the Seattle area for employment reasons. However, I dont think this rain is good for my arthritis thats for sure. I thought Arizona would be a good place to be warm again and was thinking dry heat would help my knees.

Old 11-10-2007, 04:00 PM

683 posts, read 1,793,634 times
I have arthritis in both my knees. They feel much better when the weather is hot and dry. The biggest difference is that I don't get as much swelling. They tend to flare up in August when the humidity rises and sometimes in the winter when a cold front passes through. I'm one of those people that can feel rain coming. There's not many places to live that are better than Arizona for someone with arthritis.

Old 11-10-2007, 04:03 PM

Default Synvisc

I was wondering. Have you tried synvisc injections in your knees? If you haven't, you should give it a try. It helps me a lot.

SYNVISC: Discover Osteoarthritis Knee Pain Relief

Old 11-10-2007, 04:06 PM

19,922 posts, read 7,408,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBaroo View Post
I was wondering. Have you tried synvisc injections in your knees? If you haven't, you should give it a try. It helps me a lot.

I also tried synvisc and had really good relief for an extended period of time. Check with your insurance company to see if they cover it. It's quite expensive, but many insurance companies do cover the cost! We've used synvisc as a strategy to delay the need for knee replacement surgery and so far, it's almost two years!

Charley

Old 11-10-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBaroo View Post

Yes, as a matter of fact, I just finished a series of five halogen injections in both my knees about two weeks ago. I additionally had a series of three Synvisc injections in each knee back in 2002. The first shots helped for awhile, but my left knee has really deteriorated since then and even these past five shots so far have only helped my right knee and not my left.

Old 11-10-2007, 04:27 PM

I'm trying to delay knee replacement too, it's worked for about four years so far. I'm hoping for at least another five years. I'm pretty much bone on bone so even a little bit of lubrication helps me. Every once in a while, I'll get a steroid injection and I can dance on the ceiling. I dislocated my kneecap once playing football, so that knee is the worst. I don't know if I can keep my kids from playing football, but I do encourage them to play golf.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:57 PM

547 posts, read 776,220 times
I can offer you my personal experience; I have arthritis in my hands, shoulders and knees. I lived in Washington State my entire life before moving to Arizona 5 years ago. I can tell you it has made a world of difference. The only thing that worked for me prior to moving here was Methotrexate injections twice a week. Since moving here, I have not had to have any injections for my arthritis. During monsoon, when we have high humidity (about July/August) I have some trouble, but still nothing like it was in WA. In the Phoenix Metro area we really don't have the cold weather some other areas in Arizona experience, so it's been heavenly for my arthritis. Hope this helps.
AA

Old 11-10-2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Annie View Post
I can offer you my personal experience; I have arthritis in my hands, shoulders and knees. I lived in Washington State my entire life before moving to Arizona 5 years ago. I can tell you it has made a world of difference. The only thing that worked for me prior to moving here was Methotrexate injections twice a week. Since moving here, I have not had to have any injections for my arthritis. During monsoon, when we have high humidity (about July/August) I have some trouble, but still nothing like it was in WA. In the Phoenix Metro area we really don't have the cold weather some other areas in Arizona experience, so it's been heavenly for my arthritis. Hope this helps.
AA
Thanks for the information! Sounds like it might be the place for me. Now, if I could find a job there. I've seen both positive and negative posts about the employment situation there. Any thoughts on that? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area