U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 09:06 AM

647 posts, read 2,252,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I don't consider Phoenix to be a particularly "wholesome" city either.
Just curious which large U.S. city you would consider "wholesome" ???? I think Phoenix is 5th largest now, so among the top 5 or 6, which would be wholesome? NYC? L.A.?

Frankly, I can't think of a large city that I'd classify as wholesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 10:11 AM

5,457 posts, read 13,507,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdrinks View Post
Just curious which large U.S. city you would consider "wholesome" ???? I think Phoenix is 5th largest now, so among the top 5 or 6, which would be wholesome? NYC? L.A.?

Frankly, I can't think of a large city that I'd classify as wholesome.
All I'm saying is I don't think anybody is moving to Phoenix specifically because of the reason that it is a kick-ass place to raise children or that the schools are great here. The whole low taxes, cheap housing thing (which isn't even true anymore, of course, but was a playing factor for many years) and high reliance on low wage illegal labor usually works against things like good schools. A great example-- retireees in Sun City voted themelves into the local school board just so they could de-annex themselves from the Dysart school district, so they wouldn't have to pay taxes to help pay for poor Hispanic kids in El Mirage to get an education. Sad, but true. Also, the whole climate factor, the second most important reason why people choose Phoenix, is really only an advantage for adults. What are kids supposed to do on summer break here-- just go play outside?

Old 11-11-2007, 10:29 AM

104 posts, read 268,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Phoenix is Vegas have very similar weather during the summer, but not during the winter. Vegas in on average at least 10 degrees colder than Phoenix in winter. It often surprises people that the average high in Vegas is only about 55 degrees during the winter and about 30 at night. Snow is really not all that rare in Vegas either. Phoenix on average also receives almost twice the amount of rain a year as Vegas. Vegas is in a truly parched desert that doesn't usually get more than 4 inches of rain a year, while Phoenix gets more than 8 on average.
Does anyone ever check their facts before posting? Fact: Vegas average temperature in December and January is 58 degrees. Phoenix for the same 2 months is 65 degrees. It may snow here 1 or 2 times per year but typically right before sunrise (it melts quickly) and thats it. No snow shovel in my garage!!!

Regarding the rain totals (4 inches versus 7 inches) both reflect we chose to live in a desert. Are you trying to say that Phoenix is some green city because of "all the rain you receive"?

This past summer didnt Phoenix break a record by having 112 days over 100 degrees? How did that treat you?
Both cities are HOT during the summertime but the 8-10 degree difference in Vegas during the year makes the climate here slighly more appealing (IMO).

Old 11-11-2007, 10:35 AM

306 posts, read 774,813 times
Cookers and Hookers - Vegas.

cowboy wannabe and golfing - Phoenix.

trite, I know. But I've lived in both places.
This my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Phoenix is greener because its the Sonoran Desert (Saguaro Cactus, prickly pear, occotillo and lots more) Vegas is brown because its the Mojave desert (it lacks the vegetation and beauty the Sonoran Desert ... google it)

From DesertUSA:

The Mojave has a typical mountain-and-basin topography with sparse vegetation. Sand and gravel basins drain to central salt flats from which borax, potash and salt are extracted.

The Sonoran Desert is the hottest of our North American deserts, but a distinctly bimodal rainfall pattern produces a high biological diversity. Winter storms from the Pacific nourish many West Coast annuals such as poppies and lupines, while well-developed summer monsoons host both annuals and woody plants originating from the south. Freezing conditions can be expected for a few nights in winter. Trees are usually well developed on the desert ranges and their bajadas. Often abundant on these well-drained soils are Little-leaf Palo Verdes, Desert Ironwoods, Catclaw and Saguaro.
Stream sides may be lined with riparian woodlands composed of Arizona Ash, Arizona Black Walnut, Fremont Cottonwood and various willows, with a dense understory of Arrow-weed, Seepwillow and Carrizo. The Sonora Desert is rich in animal life as well, with many species in all groups derived from tropical and subtropical regions.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:47 AM

21,157 posts, read 25,082,860 times
The only enclave that I like in the Vegas area is Boulder City------it rather resembles Pasadena, Calif. in many regards

That stated: there are many older enclaves here in the Phx area that I feel comfortable in........40th St/Indian School comes to mind.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:01 AM

4,300 posts, read 9,799,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WANative View Post
Does anyone ever check their facts before posting? Fact: Vegas average temperature in December and January is 58 degrees. Phoenix for the same 2 months is 65 degrees. It may snow here 1 or 2 times per year but typically right before sunrise (it melts quickly) and thats it. No snow shovel in my garage!!!

Regarding the rain totals (4 inches versus 7 inches) both reflect we chose to live in a desert. Are you trying to say that Phoenix is some green city because of "all the rain you receive"?

This past summer didnt Phoenix break a record by having 112 days over 100 degrees? How did that treat you?
Both cities are HOT during the summertime but the 8-10 degree difference in Vegas during the year makes the climate here slighly more appealing (IMO).

I said I was cold in the Winter in Vegas and it even snowed. I felt the difference, I remember wearing my big blue coat all Winter in Vegas

Old 11-11-2007, 11:02 AM

4,300 posts, read 9,799,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
The only enclave that I like in the Vegas area is Boulder City------it rather resembles Pasadena, Calif. in many regards

That stated: there are many older enclaves here in the Phx area that I feel comfortable in........40th St/Indian School comes to mind.
I like Boulder City too!

Old 11-11-2007, 03:09 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,925,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
One other thing-- while both cities have a lot of sprawl, Vegas is a much more compact city. There is a clear, solid edge to development, where you go on I-15 US-95 or any number or other roads leading out of town, and all of a sudden, bam! you hit the edge of town and you're in the middle of the open desert. Phoenix sprawl is so gargantuan in size that arguably it takes all the fun out of living in the desert. And since the Vegas valley is now almost becoming built out, future growth in Las Vegas will have to be vertical, rather than horizontal development.
It's true that Vegas is more compact and yields much more quickly to open desert. Nevertheless, I wouldn't necessarily agree that Phoenix takes all the fun out living in the desert. Phoenix has something that to my knowledge Vegas does not: desert parks with miles of hiking trails within city limits.

When I visit Las Vegas, I love to hike in some of the nearby wilderness areas, but even the closest, Red Rock Canyon, is 15 miles from the Strip. In Phoenix, there are trails in the South Mountain, Piestewa Peak, and Dreamy Draw areas that allow a hiker to enter quiet valleys where it is impossible to tell that one is in the middle of a large metro area. These parks are all well within Phoenix city limits.

Phoenix certainly sprawls over a huge territory, but thankfully its leaders made a wise decision to acquire and preserve large swatches of desert mountain before development could overrun them.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:50 PM

2,441 posts, read 3,591,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WANative View Post

The fact that it snows at all throws many newcomers off. I'm surprised by the fact that you state that it snows every winter. No thanks. I don't care if it melts by sunrise.

I am aware that Phoenix and Vegas are both in a desert. The desert surrounding Vegas has next to absolutely no vegetation at all. The Sonoran Desert at least has a variety of shrubs and Saguaro cacti, which can't even survive in Vegas due to lack of moisture. So yes, the fact that Phoenix receives double the amount of rain than Vegas does mean something.

Additionally, the average high/low in Vegas in July is 105/79. The average high/low in Phoenix is 106/81. That's definitely NOT a difference of 8-10 degrees. There are many days in late July and August where Vegas is actually hotter than Phoenix because the Vegas area is farther away from the monsoonal moisture source. The area gets more sunshine during this period, and as a result, is often hotter than Phoenix.

I can imagine our 112, 100 degree plus days treated us the same way that Vegas' 88, 100 degree plus days treated you all. .

The average high this July was actually hotter in Vegas than it was in Phoenix. . The average low differed by a degree.

Vegas is not some temperate paradise.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:52 PM

2,502 posts, read 5,585,478 times
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I actually live in Vegas right now, but have never been Phoenix, which is why I needed to dig up some info for her.

I do have one more question though - how does the housing compare? One problem that I have with Vegas is that the yards are often tiny and it seems like houses are practically built on top of each other. Does this problem exist in Phoenix too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area