Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 10:01 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
According to a post at Airliners.net, looks like this November, Spirit Airlines will be discontinuing service to the Mesa airport and will be moving all operations to Phoenix Sky Harbor.

I wonder why Spirit has decided to move their flights to Phoenix. This leaves Mesa with only one airline, Allegiant.
I'm not the least bit surprised this happened. I think Gateway has a long way to go to improve. It can't expect to get a lot of carriers without providing a quality airport. If you look at Southern California at their smaller airports like Burbank, they offer far more than Gateway. If it expects to offer quality commercial service and attract the likes of Southwest, it needs to build legitimate terminals, and provide better parking. Even a small airport needs basic amenities.

I know the Phoenix area has wanted a second airport for a while. I would not be surprised if Scottsdale ultimately builds a small airport in the north that will have Southwest and other small carriers. That area would serve Scottsdale, Cave Creek, Anthem, Pinetop, Prescott etc. It would be the size of the Burbank or John Wayne airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 11:08 AM

640 posts, read 957,448 times
I don't know why a second is needed at all. Sky Harbor has plenty of capacity, there rarely (if ever) are ATC delays as a result of congestion at the airport, and is situated in a very central location. I couldn't imagine N Scottsdale residents agreeing to commercial airport, there is already opposition to the large private jets that fly out of the Scottadale airport.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:15 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phx1205 View Post
I don't know why a second is needed at all. Sky Harbor has plenty of capacity, there rarely (if ever) are ATC delays as a result of congestion at the airport, and is situated in a very central location. I couldn't imagine N Scottsdale residents agreeing to commercial airport, there is already opposition to the large private jets that fly out of the Scottadale airport.
Agree with this. The folks in N Scottsdale will never let that happen.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:49 AM

582 posts, read 1,482,077 times
Gateway airport is just like the small town airports many of the people from the rural Midwest who travel Allegiant are used to. It is just like Sioux Falls, Fargo, and that whole plethora of towns airports out there.

Without all of those foks coming here and keeping Allegiant alive, you wouldn't even need that airport. I just don't feel Phoenix has the population for a second airport with multiple major carriers yet. We don't have the 16 million people LA has to justify 4 somewhat major airports, or 3 like the Bay Area has.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:42 PM

233 posts, read 258,082 times
Isn't Gateway already in the process of expanding the terminals and other areas of the airport? I would certainly use it if they could attract a Southwest or Virgin there. I'll never use Allegiant because of all of the horror stories I've heard.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:53 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,629,273 times
Weird that Gateway has such aggressive growth plans and they keep facing all these setbacks. First, their nonstop service to Hawaii ends and now they're losing an entire carrier. Most major cities rely on at least one reliever airport. It's strange that Phoenix is having such difficulty sustaining one.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:01 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,155 times
You mean Break Your Spirit Airlines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area