Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2010, 11:22 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,061,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deraffe View Post
ok since i can't find out how to edit a post, here is more info:
the house and property was orginally owned by the Sandage family who owned most of the land in the area. at some point he sold the land to Ed (?) Baker of Bakers nursery fame and he had moved the family in and out of it at different times and might still live there today.
using google maps, I looked up that address and then clicked on "street view" for a picture of the property....little shows except a hedge and a pile of dirt....see if you can get this to work for you, then drag the picture around for a view of the street and homes across the street and see if you recognize anything
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 02:46 PM

10 posts, read 16,940 times
Frying eggs in a pan on the sidewalk in June.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:42 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,623,911 times
Quote:
ok since i can't find out how to edit a post, here is more info:
the house and property was orginally owned by the Sandage family who owned most of the land in the area. at some point he sold the land to Ed (?) Baker of Bakers nursery fame and he had moved the family in and out of it at different times and might still live there today.
In 1970 there was a Baker International (Nursery) at 1131 North 40th Street.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:11 PM

83 posts, read 311,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
using google maps, I looked up that address and then clicked on "street view" for a picture of the property....little shows except a hedge and a pile of dirt....see if you can get this to work for you, then drag the picture around for a view of the street and homes across the street and see if you recognize anything

that is the house, there is a huge hedge row in front of the house, if you do the overhead view you can see the house and property otherwise you see green trees, ETC.

Bakers nursery is just up the street and is still there and in business at least as of a few weeks ago. it is located just north of the house on the same side of the street.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:05 AM

1 posts, read 4,241 times
Talking Good Ole' Patterdell School for Girls aka Good Shepherd

I was at Patterdell/Good Shepherd in the mid-70's. It was for juvenile girls - basically the last stop/last chance before the prison.

I remember Sister Rose fondly - short, squat, perpetually happy and joking. She was awesome. I remember making bread for the whole cottage for the week every Sunday, and Mr. Perez who was a great teacher. We wore these horrible, super thick polyester orange pantsuit uniforms ... lol. I gave a "valedictorian" address when I graduated high school there (graduating seniors = 3). I also remember "Family Living" classes where we'd learn how to live a "moral life" and also the rating system and pink slips and blue slips for behavior. Overall, I think the set up worked pretty well - lots of structure and positive influences. And the nuns were pretty cool.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:26 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,029 times
Quote:
Bakers nursery is just up the street and is still there and in business at least as of a few weeks ago. it is located just north of the house on the same side of the street.
We won't go anywhere else. The quality of their plants and their expertise is head and shoulders above the other nurseries in town. Still run by the same family.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:50 AM

83 posts, read 311,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erindavis View Post
I was at Patterdell/Good Shepherd in the mid-70's. It was for juvenile girls - basically the last stop/last chance before the prison.

I remember Sister Rose fondly - short, squat, perpetually happy and joking. She was awesome. I remember making bread for the whole cottage for the week every Sunday, and Mr. Perez who was a great teacher. We wore these horrible, super thick polyester orange pantsuit uniforms ... lol. I gave a "valedictorian" address when I graduated high school there (graduating seniors = 3). I also remember "Family Living" classes where we'd learn how to live a "moral life" and also the rating system and pink slips and blue slips for behavior. Overall, I think the set up worked pretty well - lots of structure and positive influences. And the nuns were pretty cool.

did you remember Margarette Eaton (that was my grandmother who taught there)? i know that she taught home economics possably other things. i believe that she taught there up until the mid 70's

Old 02-24-2010, 03:40 AM

Quote:
did you remember Margarette Eaton (that was my grandmother who taught there)? i know that she taught home economics possably other things. i believe that she taught there up until the mid 70's
This photo mentions a Mrs. Jack Eaton who teaches cooking class, I don't know who the nun is or who Mrs. Eaton is, perhaps kneeling at the oven. 1958.
Click image for larger version

Name:	a3.jpg
Views:	1889
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	58613

Old 02-24-2010, 03:47 AM

Here are some more Good Shepherd School photos from 1958.

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	1646
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	58614
Interesting facts: there were 140 girls, 12 to 18 years old. Mother Superior was Mary Annunciata. They subsisted on $4 a day per girl. The girls were given a psychological testing and later on the Wechsler-Bellevue battery of tests so the girls could be placed according to their abilities.

Last edited by roosevelt; 02-24-2010 at 04:02 AM..

Old 02-24-2010, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Here are some more photos from 1958.
Typing class with teacher Gloria Martin.

Name:	a1.jpg
Views:	626
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	58615
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area